HOW TO CHANGE THE SHORTCUT ICONS IN SAMSUNG TODAY..

Guest pulak861

Hi guys... i know that samsung today is not the most popular UI of choice amongst the O2 users.. but it really handles the low memory of our O2.. a lot of people contributed in changing the look of this UI... But the shortcut icons were really a pain in the @$$.... it really spoilt up the graphics of the samsung today with those poor unchangeable icons........ but i found a way to change the icons..... it needs a little bit tweaking of the exe files..... heres the procedure....

1.PRE-REQUISITES :

a. PE EXPLORER (30 days trial. downloade from official website)

b. IcoFX (Freeware. download from official site)

c. A photo editing software to change the size of the icons. I used adobe photoshop CS3.

d. Your favourite icons.... :unsure:

e. remove the shortcut from the samsung today or change it to something else first.

f. turn off the samsung today ui....

2.PROCEDURE :

a. First of all you need to copy the .exe files of the desired programmes. For example if you want to change the icon of touch player then you have to go to /windows and copy the .exe named TouchPlayer.exe.. after copying it to your PC the real work begins..

b. Open the application PE EXPLORER and select OPEN FILE ... then brows to the .exe file and open it... after opening click RESOURCE VIEWER/EDITOR in the pe explorer menu (ctrl+R)...

then expand ICON ENTRY.. you will see some image files.. in case of touch player you will see 2 images... but this varies from programme to programme. For eg. SPB time has 10 image files... Ok, so after opening the image files single click on them to see which one is bigger.. then right click on the bigger one click edit resource.. this will open up a new windows in which there is a picture of the icon and a big red queston mark... look above the icon. you will see a line saying ICON TO BE REPALCED ICON 64*64 32-bit.. this is going to be the measurement and colour of your new icons... as far as i know most of the icons used by the samsung today is of this measurement.. so in most of the apps you just have to edit only the icon with this specific measurements.. Ok, now minimize the PE EXPLORER.

c. Open up your photo editing software and open your desired icon.. resize it to 64*64(most of the icon files are bigger than this size) and save it without changing its format(which is ,png).

d. Now open up IcoFX.. in there select your modified icon and double click it... a new window will apper saying solors and size ..... in the colour box select true colour+alpha channel(32 bits) ... and in the size box click custom and then in width and height write 64...... then click ok... then you will see your new resized icon.. cross it and it will prompt you to save.... save the file..... this time it will be saved in .ico format.. this is what we need........

e. Now its time to maximize the pe explorer... above the RED question mark you will see a yellow folder saying replacement source.. click it and select your newly made .ico file..... then click ok... click yes.. and the file will be saved..... now click file and then click save file as... save it as it is(it will be saved in .exe format).... Your .exe file with new icon is ready to use.....

f. Now get a beer or something..... :)

g. Copy the new .exe file over the existing one in your O2.... use resco explorer or total commander..... overwrite it when promped..... now reset your device....

h. after turning on activate samsung today and then in shortcut select the one you just changed..... the beautiful icon will appear instead those ugly ones..... samsung today really looks beautiful now...

3. PRECAUTION :

a. back up the original .EXE FILE.... you might need it....

b. some .exe files may not work after changing(eg. HTC teeter).. but all the official samsung apps works( I think so..)

c. do it at your own risk.. i do not bear any responsibilities... i have no professional knowledge about these things.. just did it for fun and to contribute something to this community..

Im attaching some screen shots of the changed icons and the error message of HTC teeter and NaviComputer.. if someone helps me i will be really greatful

post-713151-1305385314_thumb.jpg

post-713151-1305385333_thumb.jpg

post-713151-1305385350_thumb.jpg

post-713151-1305385365_thumb.jpg

Edited by pulak861

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sakisds

Great tutorial! I thought about changing the icons directly before but I didn't actually bother to do it, seems like the only option though.

Also, could you tell me which Samsung Today theme you are using? It looks really nice.

Guest pulak861
Great tutorial! I thought about changing the icons directly before but I didn't actually bother to do it, seems like the only option though.

Also, could you tell me which Samsung Today theme you are using? It looks really nice.

Replace the files in windows folder...

also delete the GREEN or BLU(which ever one you wish to use) from the today container files..... the name should be exactly TodayContainerRC.dll ............................

*these are none of my work.. i forgot from where i collecte those files.... thanks to the owners....

and i use the theme of ipad for o2... can be found somewhere in these threads..... after applying the i pad theme i used the a top and bottom bar transparent app ( for got the name) and used a black wallpaper... you will get the complete effect....