[STOPPED] CyanogenMod Beta2 Omnia 2 (updated: 04.05.2012)

Guest voyteckst

Guest rom_omnia2

Compiled, but booting? :rolleyes:

Yes, it's booting. But i'm talking about kernel 2.6.32 with improvements, not the 3.0.8 (going to test it later).

The only improvement that i clearly noticied so far is "Widget picker scrolling speed increase". It was terrible slow, now is normal (or even we can call it fast).

If all goes well, could you publish it so others can test it out? Did not had time today due to school to try compiling :(

Ok, like i said, didn't noticied many difference so far.

Also, take a look here for compile guide. Message me if you have any question, i'm not that expert either but could try to help.

Edited by rom_omnia2

Guest rom_omnia2

Besides widget picker speed improvement, isn't stable. CPU Tuner and others programs won't start and after 10 minutes playing with browser, the phone froze.

Compiled kernel got too big, 2.9MB. Normally is 2.3/2.4/2.5. From my own experience, when it gets bigger than 2.6 the system gets unstable. Maybe i compiled it wrong...

Guest erikcas

Yes, it's booting. But i'm talking about kernel 2.6.32 with improvements, not the 3.0.8 (going to test it later).

The only improvement that i clearly noticied so far is "Widget picker scrolling speed increase". It was terrible slow, now is normal (or even we can call it fast).

Also, take a look here for compile guide. Message me if you have any question, i'm not that expert either but could try to help.

Oke. I took a look @ that source for 2.6.32 and I see a lot of copy-paste from modifications from other kernels. I by nature do not trust that, don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that it is not good. I have to look closer to have a good opinion.

If you take that mod for an improvement you do have to study if it is part of more modifications and if the modification does fit to your kernel.

I think the improvements for android are mainly in the android source now and not in the 2.6.32 kernel. Offcourse the kernel can be fine-tuned.

For example, on my latest test build froyo 2.2.3, I have improved batteryperformance over 60% (today on pretty heavy use I have left 27% battery after 14 hrs, which is significant more then it was 3 months ago). It is performing faster then it was. This on only android changes, no kernel changes. And I think it can be further improved.

But offcourse, it is allways good to seek improvements so keep up with it :)

Guest rom_omnia2

If you take that mod for an improvement you do have to study if it is part of more modifications and if the modification does fit to your kernel.

He said that there's improvements, i thought it was for our I8000:

BTW, on github, I also have a 2.6.32 kernel that contains the code to many fixes and improvements:

• Camera key crash fix when simultaneously pressing camera key with 2 other buttons
  • HZ=500 and voluntary preemption for improved interactivity
  • 24-bit framebuffer - color bandings are gone and image looks much better albeit slower
  • Widget scrolling speed increase
  • Alternate USB driver that is less prone to connection problems esp during boot up
  • Kexec support to load kernel within userspace and to bypass windows (still needs work)
  • Added ramzswap aka compcache module
  • ram console to log kernel messages that survive reboots
  • hardware watchdog to reset in case of kernel crash
  • Key combos to hard reboot (lock + volup + camera) that save the time to pull out battery
  • Turned on some compiler optimization
  • Misc fixes to oops, deadlock, leaks, gpio, ...

But you are right, most improvements will be made playing with android Lowmemoryfree values and others like swapness, etc.

Edited by rom_omnia2

Guest erikcas

He said that there's improvements:

Widget scrolling speed is the only one i noticied so far, and like i said, compiled kernel is getting too big (3mb). It's wrong and that may be why it's unstable. I'll wait anyone with more experience work on it. If it isn't for our Omnia II i'm lost because it's wrote there in defconfig: OMNIAII config file.

I read it a few days ago.

Why is your conclusion that the kernel zImage is too big? If your reference is the size of the kernel zImage from current dev sources with dev config compiled your conclusion might be wong. I thougt I saw he compiles a few extra things in. So it will (almost logically) be bigger.

you can try to do this: Copy official .config to the root of the modded kernel source dir.

Then run

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/crosscompiler oldconfig

you might get some questions but it can give you a more recognizable .config

But result can be you loose the optimizations that are said to be compiled in from the config

Edited by erikcas

Guest rom_omnia2

Yes, he enabled a lot of things and that's what made it bigger. What i'm saying is that a "huge" kernel with a lot of useless options enabled don't help in perfomance at all. When i was enabling IPTables i noticied it, kernel was getting bigger and system was getting unstable. That's why i didn't shared the kernel with iptables enabled, wasn't stable, but it works. If anyone want it to play with firewall i can upload.

I'll take a better look at this improvements and try to extract this widget picker scrolling speed improvement, it works very well. At Cyanogenmod Beta 2 widget picker is quite slow.

Guest Bassvix

Like me.

After test two versions of Ominadroid, the last version (currently for download) I cant test, doesnt work.

My SD has 1GB, but I even use my MyStorage created partitions.

I was never able to install the last beta on my omnia's storage.. I cant install in the SD card because the metal piece that was holding the SD card broke.. and I cant put the sd card anymore.. so my only option was to install in my storage..

since there is no guide to install this beta y tried to install the same way that the beta 1s but not susccess there.. it just stuck in "loading android" screen..

if anyone suscceeds on install in "my storage" can please share with me the way.. because I cant

Guest olivex

Try again not to format only. Delete the FAT 32 partition and then create new one. (Don't forget as primary).

I did it 3 days ago. First I only formated the FAT32 and nothing happened. Then I deleted the partition, created a new one and it worked.

Indeed I recreated the FAT32 partition. In fact I didn't know the FAT32 partition didn't take the whole space, it wa only 1.x GB (asides ext3 1GB and swap 128MB), while there was 1GB unallocated space before it. So I deleted the FAT32 partition and created a new one, taking all spaces, so it is now 2.x GB. Then I formatted it. But, CM still cannot see it.

Guest nikkotsoi

i think it is good (or maybe necessary) for us to compile the 3.0 kernel since the spica 2.3.3 with kernel 3.0 has got huge improvement in 3D performance(new driver) . and 3d performance is one of the most big problem on our i8000

Guest djhoulio

Indeed I recreated the FAT32 partition. In fact I didn't know the FAT32 partition didn't take the whole space, it wa only 1.x GB (asides ext3 1GB and swap 128MB), while there was 1GB unallocated space before it. So I deleted the FAT32 partition and created a new one, taking all spaces, so it is now 2.x GB. Then I formatted it. But, CM still cannot see it.

I don't know why it's not working to your phone but give it again a try.I made some screenshots from my sd partitioning. Maybe something is missunderstood.

When android (just after boot) alert you for damaged card ignore the message and don't format it on android. Turn on Winmo and connect the phone to PC with

massive storage mode/sd card. Windows may prompt you to format the disc, ignore the message (don't push even cancel).

1.Open minitool p.m. and select the FAT32 partition.

post-623366-0-60857800-1334744975_thumb.

2.Delete FAT32 partition.

post-623366-0-76063200-1334744988_thumb.

3.Create in the unallocated space, a FAT32 primary partition.

post-623366-0-95464900-1334745001_thumb.

4.save settings.

post-623366-0-76653600-1334745010_thumb.

If this doesn't work, make a clean install of beta2 and try again. For some reason when I format the card (as I prompt by the OS in android, winmo or win7), it either

delete (all partitions) or do nothing.I did 4 clean installs the beta2 until I realized that and made it work.

Guest olivex

I don't know why it's not working to your phone but give it again a try.I made some screenshots from my sd partitioning. Maybe something is missunderstood.

When android (just after boot) alert you for damaged card ignore the message and don't format it on android. Turn on Winmo and connect the phone to PC with

massive storage mode/sd card. Windows may prompt you to format the disc, ignore the message (don't push even cancel).

1.Open minitool p.m. and select the FAT32 partition.

post-623366-0-60857800-1334744975_thumb.

2.Delete FAT32 partition.

post-623366-0-76063200-1334744988_thumb.

3.Create in the unallocated space, a FAT32 primary partition.

post-623366-0-95464900-1334745001_thumb.

4.save settings.

post-623366-0-76653600-1334745010_thumb.

If this doesn't work, make a clean install of beta2 and try again. For some reason when I format the card (as I prompt by the OS in android, winmo or win7), it either

delete (all partitions) or do nothing.I did 4 clean installs the beta2 until I realized that and made it work.

Thank you, you are very helpful. Let me try it again. Probably I will erase everything on SD card, use minitool to re-partition and re-format all partitions, then re-install beta2. Let me what happens.

Guest ipaq3870

Does it base on latest kernel updates?

IIRC, it's 3.0.8 that tom3q was using. Probably you know it already.

Yeah, i compiled that. But there's no .config file, so i had to use the default .config file from our 2.6.32.

make ARCH=arm omniaII_defconfig

By the way, that new kernel 3.0.8 seems to have a new video driver, take a look at tom3q comment at ipaq3870 page:

It's not anything new. There is a stock s3cfb FB driver in the kernel even for 2.6.32.9 that you are now using. It's just not being used. Tom's 3.0 does use the stock driver - the LCD panel code, aka backlight driver has been decoupled from the framebuffer driver. I need a console to continue the work, so I just stuffed the old driver in together with the regulator driver. But I believe it's not too hard to use the stock 3.0 one. Now it's stuck in the MMC code that I don't have time to deal with...

Oke. I took a look @ that source for 2.6.32 and I see a lot of copy-paste from modifications from other kernels. I by nature do not trust that, don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that it is not good. I have to look closer to have a good opinion.

Hmmm... my fixes together with those merges are all cherry-picked and hand-merged, and most tried to address oops and crash. I was trying to make a fully preemptive kernel together BFS that don't crash, and that's why you guys won't see any magical speedups. I suppose that's how kernel hacking is. Anyway, I think I've got preemptive kernel nailed - it should give a much responsive system. Still testing.

For example, on my latest test build froyo 2.2.3, I have improved batteryperformance over 60% (today on pretty heavy use I have left 27% battery after 14 hrs, which is significant more then it was 3 months ago). It is performing faster then it was. This on only android changes, no kernel changes. And I think it can be further improved.

Nice work! Looking forward to trying it out.

Guest ipaq3870

There is a defconfig for kernel 3 in the arch/arm/configs dir. It isn't complete I think from which you can start. I started playing with it yesterday night. If I manage to make progress I will upload it to my github.

yes, it's i8000_defconfig.

Guest ipaq3870

Yes, he enabled a lot of things and that's what made it bigger. What i'm saying is that a "huge" kernel with a lot of useless options enabled don't help in perfomance at all. When i was enabling IPTables i noticied it, kernel was getting bigger and system was getting unstable. That's why i didn't shared the kernel with iptables enabled, wasn't stable, but it works. If anyone want it to play with firewall i can upload.

My version is only 2.57MB when compiled. If you got bigger size, you'd probably got a different toolchain than me do. I am using arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Debian 4.4.5-8) 4.4.5

And IIRC, I almost didn't enable anything that is different from the original release, except for those stated. You can compare the .config if you so wish.

Guest ipaq3870

EDIT: This is considered version 1.0 of my work on the kernel and is SUPERSEDED. See this thread for updated builds and more features.

Ok, for those of you who want to try, use the attached zip (5cd78c01). It's a 16bpp branch with full kernel preemption enabled. I was also trying some wifi stuff, so your experience with wifi might not be good. As usual, no warranty whatsoever.

I suppose this build could bring notable responsiveness and improved interactivity. I am still testing it - let me know what you think.

kernel-2.6.32.9-5cd78c01.zip

Edited by ipaq3870

Guest nikkotsoi

Ok, for those of you who want to try, use the attached zip (5cd78c01). It's a 16bpp branch with full kernel preemption enabled. I was also trying some wifi stuff, so your experience with wifi might not be good. As usual, no warranty whatsoever.

I suppose this build could bring notable responsiveness and improved interactivity. I am still testing it - let me know what you think.

replace the zimage in "mystorage"?

modules in sdcard ext4 partition ?

Guest ipaq3870

replace the zimage in "mystorage"?

modules in sdcard ext4 partition ?

zImage should go to the same directory as haret that your are starting from.

mine is not booting?

What do you see on screen?

Guest vakaloka

with that kernel my omnia stucks at Android on Omnia II Loading screen. I would post a logcat if there was an output, but with this zImage it seems that no logcat is output

Edit: btw, I've got omnia installed on the sd card, not in the internal storage as I suppose you have

Edited by vakaloka

Guest synescu

booting it is ok, seems a little more reactive than the first but no network signal or wiareles at wall

Guest nikkotsoi

booting it is ok, seems a little more reactive than the first but no network signal or wiareles at wall

how do you install it ?

i replace the zimage and replace the "modules" in the ext4 android system partition

i installed the android in an SD card

thx

mine is stuck in the "android on omina II is loading"

when i use the original zimage but with new modules, it boots but no signal and no vibration

Guest synescu

how do you install it ?

i replace the zimage and replace the "modules" in the ext4 android system partition

thx

when i use the original zimage but with new modules, it boots but no signal and no vibration

I just replaced the zimage .in modules I have not touched anything yet

Guest ipaq3870

with that kernel my omnia stucks at Android on Omnia II Loading screen. I would post a logcat if there was an output, but with this zImage it seems that no logcat is output

Edit: btw, I've got omnia installed on the sd card, not in the internal storage as I suppose you have

how do you install it ?

thx

You'll need the modules installed as well, or else you won't be able to boot or will have no phone. The modules should be placed inside the /modules directory of the root partition. Hope this helps.

Guest nikkotsoi

You'll need the modules installed as well, or else you won't be able to boot or will have no phone. The modules should be placed inside the /modules directory of the root partition. Hope this helps.

yes, to make it clear

new zimage + modules installed = not boot

new zimage + old modules =boot (no vibration/phone signal/camera)

old zimage + new modules installed =boot (no vibration/phone signal/camera)

:o

Edited by nikkotsoi