Unlocking San Fran 2

Guest downloader50

Guest ian_blade2

im getting more confused by the minute now :( should i just put this bk to the stock rom lol and take it bk to the shop ?

all i want is to unlock it then i will keep it at that many thx for all ur help ian.

Guest ian_blade2

frodo to add ,

i downloaded the unlock omc skate folder and the unlock osf2 folders i didnt merge and files or anything like that im really stuck on this now lol im far from stupid but i feel it at the moment lol

thanks for ur help ian.

Guest Enimaxi

Fr0do has a good point. To enlarge on it: there are 2 "recovery.img" files in the "Unlock-OMC-Skate" package. One in "Preparation" and one in "Unlock/files". They are identical. However "Unlock-OSF2" only has one, in the "files" folder, and it is different to the OMC ones. The procedure says it should overwrite the file in the "unlock/files" folder from "Unlock-OSF2", but should it also overwrite the one in the Preparation folder? Otherwise at step 4, the OMC stock recovery will surely be flashed instead of the OSF2 one?

Alan

I was struggling with the exact same thing. Flashing the OMC recovery to your SF2/TMV is not a good idea, that's for sure.

Seeing as the two OMC recovery files (the one in the "unlock/files"-folder and the one in "preperation") are identical, I think the SF2/TMV recovery files should be overwritten to both these folders.

i downloaded the unlock omc skate folder and the unlock osf2 folders i didnt merge and files or anything like that im really stuck on this now lol im far from stupid but i feel it at the moment lol

Well no wonder it didn't work! lol

So I take it you have a SF2 and not a Vivacity... then you can simply download the ready merged files by Collywob here:

I was struggling with the exact same thing. Flashing the OMC recovery to your SF2/TMV is not a good idea, that's for sure.

Seeing as the two OMC recovery files (the one in the "unlock/files"-folder and the one in "preperation") are identical, I think the SF2/TMV recovery files should be overwritten to both these folders.

Progress of sorts. I did as I described i.e. copied the OSF2 "recovery.img" file from the "unlock/files" folder to the "Preparation" folder and followed step 4 again. Now at step 5, instead of getting permanent green Android I find:

1) Removing the battery and powering up with VOL DOWN pressed, I get a vibration, followed by green Android, followed by the screen blanking, repeating forever.

2) Ditto, but quickly insert the battery after the first vibration, now finally progresses to the FTM screen.

3) Don't plug in the USB cable, just insert the battery and power on while pressing VOL DOWN. Also goes to the FTM screen.

I guess (2) may indicate my USB port isn;t feeding enough power, although I'd have thought that was standard.

My new question is therefore: what is the significance of powering up just on USB rather than battery? Outwardly it seems to do the same thing?

Alan

PS if I'm right about copying the "recovery.img" maybe the tutorial needs a tweak? I know this stuff is obvious if you've already done it.

Guest ian_blade2

frodo thanks for that yes you are correct i have the sf2 not the vivacity i downloaded the merged files and have tried the same thing again and still it cannot seem to see my device ??

have you any other ideas right now im ready to snap the thing in half lol :( thanks ian.

Well I got there in the end. Things I wish I'd known, in case it helps anybody else:

1) The original tutorial suggested following the OMC/Skate procedure, using files referenced in that procedure but overwriting them with files specific to the OSF2. What wasn't clear (to me anyway!) was that "recovery.img" in the OSF "Unlock/files" folder also needs to be copied over the file of the same name in the "Preparations folder" otherwise at step 4 you will be using the incompatible OMC file. Using the already-combined files;posted by Collywob in post #58 would presumably avoid this issue.

2) It may be something unusual about my particular PC/phone combination, but when trying to start up in FTM by plugging in the USB with no battery fitted (step 6), my phone just kept rebooting. It seems this must be due to lack of power on USB as it worked OK if I quickly inserted the battery as soon as it powered up. This got me into FTM. In fact, it seems you can get into FTM on battery alone, so I'm a bit confused as to why the USB-only procedure is called for? From what Fr0do has said, it may just be that the phone needs to be completely powered down (no USB, no battery) and than after that you can power it how you like.

3) QPST seems to have a server component which must be running for the Software Download application to work. This server has an icon in the Systray while it's running. Although you would expect the QPST application to automatically start the server, I found the only way was to run the QPST configuration application first (using Win7 32 bit) and leave it running in the background while using the Software Download app.

4) You need to shutdown all parts of QPST after doing the backup or the download at step 12 will hang trying to access the phone.

5) The backup/download/restore steps otherwise went as expected (steps 8-15). However at step 16, I was surprised to find the phone booted into Clockwork. Firstly I was expecting the phone to be fully restored at this point, and secondly I wasn't aware that clockwork had been installed at any stage! The procedure mentions this as a possible subsequent step.

Anyway I then loaded Seb's Orange Stock Rom B11 onto the SDcard and installed via CW as usual. Everything seems OK so far on T-mobile.

Alan

Guest Sebastian404

The way I did it(very simplified)

1) Reverted to a Stock ROM

2) put device into FTM mode (power out, power on with Vol-)

3) used QPST to backup my NVRAM to a QCN file(Software Download/Backup)

4) used the download.exe from Unlock_SF2/Unlock_VIVACITY to update the device.

5) rebooted the device back into FMT mode again (power out, power on with Vol-)

6) used QPST to restore my NVRAM from the QCN file (Software Download/Restore)

7) rebooted device, this brings you to clockworkmod recovery, used that to install my debranded ROM.

you could add the step of backing up your existing device before step 1, and then restore the backup rather than doing step 7.

Ok sorry Alan! :)

Ian... so you did this:

• You installed QPST in the first step. Now in the Start menu find "Software Download" which was installed by QPST.
  • Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" file
  • If your phone is not found then go to "QPST Configuration" in the start menu and add a port for your phone

Guest ian_blade2

hi frodo i understand that now but when u say add a port which one and what numbers etc im sorry im a novice to unlocking these :(

appreciate all help tho many thx ian.

Guest TurboGP

Instead of suggesting people mix a bit of this zip with a bit of that zip and make sure you mixed it with the right zip, why cant we just have two zip files that dont need fannying around with so you either download one or the other without pissing about afterwards? Is that really that difficult to do? This thread would be four pages shorter if someone had done that in the first place.

Guest ian_blade2

to be honest mate im struggling like mad and i know its not just me if i dont get this phone unlocked by friday its going bk to factory settings n going bk to the shop will just buy a iphone and be done with it , i tried this as i had the sf1 and have never had a problem with it and i sold my sf1 last week so just wanted the new version , how wrong was i about it so far im disapointed ......i just want it unlocked and sorted last time i did the sf1 in minutes and never ever had to mess with it again.,...........

thanks for all the help tho guys has been much appreciated just had enuff of trying now started to get fed up with it.....after all its only a phone :(

Instead of suggesting people mix a bit of this zip with a bit of that zip and make sure you mixed it with the right zip, why cant we just have two zip files that dont need fannying around with so you either download one or the other without pissing about afterwards? Is that really that difficult to do? This thread would be four pages shorter if someone had done that in the first place.

Whilst i agree with your sentiments, i think you maybe being a bit harsh on the people who have been developing the required method for trying to unlock / debrand this phone, im sure that one of the guys who knows what their doing will be able to make the process a lot simpler for people to understand and perform the required update, i hope so anyway coz im a bit lost as well.

Guest Amphoras

Used the files from unrandomsam and merged with the Skate ones to add the OFII/Vivacity stock recovery images to the preparation folder and Sebastian404's Clockwork recovery to the post unlock folder. I don't have either of these devices, so its not tested. The guide below is by tilal6991 from the Skate sub-forum.

All the stuff in the tutorial is simplified by me but the full credit for unlock has to go to xiaoyaoswim who originally posted this method here and also to John W who figured out how to save the WiFi MAC address.

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF LOSING WARRANTY WHEN UNLOCKING.

YOU SHOULD INSTALL THESE DRIVERS FIRST - http://www.multiupload.com/BQ7VQOQA4L. If they don't work then try the drivers on the Superboot thread.

1. Google "QPST 2.7 Build 366". Click the first link and download the file beside "QPST 2.7 Build 366" and install it.
  2. Download the unlock file from below and unzip it.
  3. Connect your phone to your computer and make sure that you have USB Debugging turned on
  4. Go into “Preparation” folder and run the “install-recovery-windows.bat”. This should flash stock recovery and reboot the phone.
  5. Remove your battery and disconnect the USB cable
  6. Now as you connect the phone to your computer press the volume down button. Don’t let go of the volume button until “FTM” comes up on your phone.
  7. You installed QPST in the first step. Now in the Start menu find "Software Download" which was installed by QPST.
  8. Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" file
  9. If your phone is not found then go to "QPST Configuration" in the start menu and add a port for your phone
  10. Click Start on the utility
  11. Make sure the file exists and is non-zero in file size before proceeding - if not try the previous steps again
  12. Go into the Unlock folder of the extracted zip file and run “download.exe”
  13. If you are sure you want to unlock press “START”!
  14. Sit through some hairy moments as it flashes itself and unlocks the phone.
  15. Go back to the "Software Download" utility.and click "Restore". Find the .qcn file you saved and restore it.
  16. Remove your USB cable, put the battery back in and any SIM of your choice – your phone is now unlocked!!
  17. OPTIONAL – Power on the phone and turn on USB Debugging.
  18. Go to “POST-UNLOCK FOLDER” and run the bat file again – this installs ClockworkMod
You now have a fully working unlocked Orange San Francisco II / T Mobile Vivacity!!

Files for Vivacity

5762662f91536561039daba867e98916

Files for San Francisco II

c5d27c03f5dd7c3bb708b4ee82d60684

Use at your own risk, you might brick your phone doing this.

Edited by Amphoras

Guest Sebastian404

I mentioned in another thread that I don't like to write technical support documentation.. and I depend on the community to help out there, there was a huge amount of support for that on the blade...

Add to the fact I'm a Mac/Linux fan girl, so I know nothing to very little about Windows problems...

but you have to keep in mind, the devices have not even been on sale for a week, and there are stock issues stopping most people from getting one.. we are still blazing a trail somewhat.

I understand your frustration, and I dont want to come across as patronising, but it is do-able and fairly easy, take a step back and try and go through it step by step

Guest unrandomsam

All you need is the one zip

and fastboot and adb working (For convenience have them in your PATH but its not essential if you know how to use your OS properly).

The process is pretty simple (Don't think there is any point in dumbing it down further - I don't see the point in duplicating someone else's work either - possibly its excessively verbose but its easy enough to understand).

Guest unrandomsam

If you changed the recovery in the first place then you should know how to flash it back again.

The stock recovery is already in files/recovery.img

Installing the SDK is really well documented (And it mentions setting the PATH and explains how to do it).

(Bit annoying they forgot to include fastboot.exe in b14/b15 though so you need to get it from b13).

Setting the PATH for Windows

--

In windows you set the PATH in Control Panel\System and Security\System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables

--

This thread is not that unmanageable yet (Unlike e.g the CM7 thread in the blade forum).

Guest unrandomsam

frodo thanks for that yes you are correct i have the sf2 not the vivacity i downloaded the merged files and have tried the same thing again and still it cannot seem to see my device ??

have you any other ideas right now im ready to snap the thing in half lol :( thanks ian.

If you have not previously installed Clockworkmod you don't need to do anything - (Already have stock recovery).

I think your problem is not having fastboot working - use devicemanager probably be yellow icon if its on xp.

You can force the device to go into fastboot if you don't know the keycombo by doing

fastboot erase boot

and

fastboot erase recovery

Then you could step by step follow the guide

You can try installing - pdanet (apparantly that installs the android 1.0 fastboot driver as part of it).

If fastboot is working

when you do

fastboot devices

then you should get some output, if you just get a blank line its not working.

http://pdanet.co/bin/PdaNetA302.exe

http://junefabrics.com/android/download.php

I am trying to follow the simple guide above and have downloaded the zip file by Amphoras post #93. I have done steps 1,2 & 3 and am getting stuck on step 4. "install-recovery-windows.bat" - the phone seems to be getting stuck on the android logo everytime and cmd box is stuck on "<waiting for device>". Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi friends, I am new to android phone. i have got the OSF II today and i have read all the steps on how to unlock. I am ok with all the steps, how ever i could not understand the debranding option. does this required for unlocking SF 2 ? if yes, when do i need to perform, before the unlock or after the unlock.

can some one advice me plz ?

Thanks a lot

R2K

Guest unrandomsam

Hi friends, I am new to android phone. i have got the OSF II today and i have read all the steps on how to unlock. I am ok with all the steps, how ever i could not understand the debranding option. does this required for unlocking SF 2 ? if yes, when do i need to perform, before the unlock or after the unlock.

can some one advice me plz ?

Thanks a lot

R2K

You don't have to worry about debranding :

Just perform the steps and then reinstall an already debranded/rooted rom afterwards.