14 Jun Gr9 (6.3.1) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Kindle Fire

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Forgiven2312

How do I get this? I press the download link and when I enter the code and everything I get a 404 page saying the server was not found or something? Very annoying and I would really like to try this ROM out it seems very cool and interesting.

A mirror or an alternate Download link would be nice, or if someone could message me personally about this and help me out?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest k4955

Hey folks, 6.3 update in progress - watch this space!

P

Jolly good.! Rooted Stock ROM 6.3 flashing killed Gr 7 (6.2.2). If I reflash Gr 7 over Rooted Stock ROM 6.3, my device shows only GR 7 6.2.2. Is that the right behavior? After flashing Rooted Stock ROM 6.3, I do not get the locations which I presume due to non-existence of GR 7?

Thanks Paul for all the efforts to help users like me.

K

Guest PaulOBrien

Hello chaps. Just a heads up that now my One X review is out of the way i'm back on updating this... no rest for the wicked etc. :D

P

Guest k4955

Thanks Paul. Downloaded the ZIP file and installed after backup. Network location support (for Maps etc.) It is not updating Android Weather or IMDb the current location, but does in Google Maps. In Prior versions any app that required the current location did work well. Any suggestions?

Edited by k4955

Guest archi0588

Hello. May I know why mock_location is disabled on 6.3 rom as default? location_providers_allowed value set as gps? I found myself in google maps on 6.2.2 rom but only after reboot system, does not work on first system run, location_providers_allowed value was set as network only after reboot system, first run was set on gps and network location not available. What I should change to make network location work in google maps on your rom based on 6.3?

So, I can confirm that network location do not work on 6.3 MoDaCo in google maps and other apps. I wonder how it works for somebody in google maps.

By the way, I noticed that on Gr6 and Gr7 I can find my location in any network only in google maps, do not work properly with other apps.

Edited by archi0588

Guest archi0588

New Gr8 prebake uploaded with network location issue resolved.

P

Thanks, Paul. Network location working well in google maps, still have problems with other apps like network weather, maps with me and so on (may be it's only for me?). By the way, in first system run location_providers_allowed value set as gps like on Gr7, need reboot and it will set on network as well. That is why some users still can not get their location, they need start up then reboot device after install the ROM.

Edited by archi0588

Guest corgi74

Hi new Fire owner here and so far I'm very happy with it and the ROM so thanks for your efforts in making it.

Quick question about reverting back to stock (apologies if it's a stupid one). If I wanted to go back to stock 6.3 is it just a case of copying the latest .bin from Amazon in to the kindledeviceupdates folder like doing a normal manual update or would I have to rename it as update.zip and do it through TWRP?

Just curious

Thanks

Guest Alaa Youssef

Hi Modaco,

?

what a great job dear.. one more favor if you can do, is it possible to add RTL right to left support in your Custom ROM ?

Guest Johnsons Computer Service

I hate to sound like such a noob. But is there a walk through or any documentation on how to Install this Rom on the Fire? Also, everyone says to back everything up prior to installing the rom. I am currently running 6.3 Stock. The only backup programs I can see on the kindle app store are for backing up the apps and the other stuff in the internal storage. What backup program do you guys recommend?

Guest CapnGadget

New Gr8 prebake uploaded with network location issue resolved.

I've downloaded the latest update (GR8 11 Apr) 4 times using 4 different browsers and the MD5 checksum

is not matching. The checksum I come up with is always: 0dbca1029b764d0cdd5a1008b37668fa

Is this an error on my end or is it possible that you never updated the checksums when posting the

11 April update?

UPDATE: I have checked my download with 7zip's integrity check and it says the download is corrupted.

I then had a friend (2,000 miles away) download the file and he came up with the same checksum. It

appears the file on your server is corrupted as we're both getting the same corrupted file.

Edited by CapnGadget

Guest k4955

@Paul: I have been using your Custom Rom in my KF and I am happy with its functionality. Also special thanks for fixing the locations. It is amazing when I use your custom Rom, applications that require locations, work superbly. Google maps, the latest version is one of them. It is providing text to speech navigation in my KF when tethered to my Virgin mobile Optimus V phone using TetherGPS. The file "com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db", has a line "network_providers_allowed=network". If that field of network is suffixed with "gps", the annoying error message of "Enable gps" in settings, will disappear. I tried to modify the file using Sqllite editor and it saves. However when I reboot KF, the settings revert to network only. I am not proficient in linux to modify the settings.db using adb shell. Could you please update the settings.db to include "gps' in the next release of your Rom?

Thank you very much.

Guest Raymoral

I hate to sound like such a noob. But is there a walk through or any documentation on how to Install this Rom on the Fire? Also, everyone says to back everything up prior to installing the rom. I am currently running 6.3 Stock. The only backup programs I can see on the kindle app store are for backing up the apps and the other stuff in the internal storage. What backup program do you guys recommend?

You're going to have to flash TWRP onto your Kindle Fire. You can do that by following this tutorial http://liliputing.com/2011/12/how-to-install-twrp-2-0-touch-based-recovery-on-the-kindle-fire-backup-restore-flash-custom-firmware.html. And then follow this tutorial for installing or "flashing" Modaco http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-install-modaco-rom-on-kindle-fire-54182/.

Good luck.

Does installing TWRP root the kindle as well?

nevermind. I figured it out. Installing everything now.

You're going to have to flash TWRP onto your Kindle Fire. You can do that by following this tutorial http://liliputing.co...m-firmware.html. And then follow this tutorial for installing or "flashing" Modaco http://www.androidau...dle-fire-54182/.

Good luck.

I am installing this as you mentioned above, I get all the way to step 7 and then it attempts to install the gr8.zip file but gives me a message: "E:Cannot load volume/misc!"

Any ideas?

Guest ElleBiCi

Hi Raymoral, I've the same issue but it doesn't really matter.

The rom is normally flashed and after reboot it's smooth as silk.

ElleBiCi