MoDaCo Custom ROM Ir1 for the Samsung Galaxy S III - new: Trackball Alert support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S III (Quad Core Exynos version)! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. ;)

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs (MCRs)

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs - either shipping or leaked. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device. MoDaCo Custom ROMs include online kitchens that allow the user to choose between stock ICS or Touchwiz style for most features on the device!

Requirements

In order to use this ROM you must have ClockworkMod Recovery installed - this can be installed using CF-Root by ChainfireXDA.

The ROM is installed at your own risk. The ROM should be installed using ClockworkMod. A wipe is NOT required to use this ROM if you are coming from either stock, or a previous MCR release.

Features Include... (many optional via the Online Kitchen) - check kitchen defaults for what is in the prebake:

• Rebuilt, compressed and optimised with the MCR build system
  • Based on the most recent UK release
  • Trackball Alert support!
  • All Google applications updated
  • All third party applications updated
  • Vanilla option using stock ICS components instead of Touchwiz components while retaining stability and core Samsung functionality
  • Superuser application and su binary from ChainfireXDA (SuperSU) for SAFE root functionality
  • Insecure boot image and secure boot image with adb root patched ADB
  • Busybox included
  • Not odexed
  • Alternative appstores (shortly!)
  • Our own 'OdexMe' on-demand odex application (shortly!)
  • init.d support on boot
  • Nosync SQLite binary (user request)
  • Much much much more!
    Changelog

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changelog.

Installation

To install this ROM:
    • Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your the internal sd card (/sdcard/)
    • Restart your device in recovery mode
    • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
    • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to the internal sd card!
      If you have problems with Market licencing, check your device date!

First boot may take a while - be patient while it carries out it's pre-dexopt. It's worth it! :D

Downloads

Please do not mirror these packs elsewhere, I am counting downloads to determine which prebakes are most popular and should be offered in the future.

Prebakes are available for everyone to download, the MoDaCo Online Kitchen is available to MoDaCo AdFree and MoDaCo Plus members. NEW - you can now get MoDaCo AdFree for FREE via TrialPay - click here for details!

Prebake downloads
      • Ir1 Touchwiz - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: ecc43c9156243c56be3dfd0c461fe301
      • Ir1 Vanilla - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 9e94cec0919fb5bd1df0d5fbdb2aa86f
      • Kitchen download

[*]an online kitchen is also available below for you to bake a Custom Custom ROM. :D

?rc=v&ri=1368898&p=51eeu1pH&t=A7DtDeW&ty

Support

If you have a general question, please post in the topic and i'll do my best to help out! :)

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

Future Updates - READ THIS!

By providing this ROM I am not implying in any way that future updates will follow. Due to limits on my time and the fact that I have a large number of devices for short periods of time, it isn't possible for me to continue providing ROM updates indefinitely. Please do not donate / sign up on the assumption that future releases will be available (I don't want you to be disappointed!).

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription!

Enjoy! :D

P

Guest PaulOBrien

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Guest PaulOBrien

Changelog

9th July

• Added NFC fix pack to the kitchen, lets Google Wallet work (use my patched version!)
    29th June
    • Updated all apps to latest versions
    • Added Google Currents (updated icon)
    • Added Google Ears diget
    • Added Google Magazines (territory dependent)
    • Added semi-transparent pulldown background
    • Added EPM option (to be default on next prebakes)
    • Removed unnecessary APKs from CSC directories
      27th June
      • Fixed Contacts / Dialler issue with Vanilla
      • Fixed trackball alert with screen on issue with Vanilla
      • Fixed Exchange sync issue with Vanilla
      • Added stock ICS Gallery option

26th June

[*]Initial prebakes upload

[*]Lots of new options including minimalist toggles, odexme etc.

25th June

• Initial kitchen upload

Guest PaulOBrien
paul I can't get it to override the stock led colors. I tried with them (stock) turned off and on...same thing

Did you pick the trackball alert option in the kitchen?

P

Guest ogdobber

Did you pick the trackball alert option in the kitchen?

P

yes of course. maybe there is something I picked (or didn't) that is screwing things up??

btw, sms flashes the correct color and rate (every 2 sec)...

gmail, talk both flash blue (slowly) even though I have them green and magenta respectively

Guest PaulOBrien

yes of course. maybe there is something I picked (or didn't) that is screwing things up??

btw, sms flashes the correct color and rate (every 2 sec)...

gmail, talk both flash blue (slowly) even though I have them green and magenta respectively

Ah OK, so that's an app problem rather than a rom problem.

Maybe try deleting and recreating the configuration?

P

Guest Bisonator

EDIT: Seems to be working now. Currently downloading my new ROM!

Hi Paul

First off - thanks for the new kitchen! :)

Trying to bake this ROM and keep getting sent to the Store page when I click the bake button.

I signed up to add-free on 18th July last year, so my membership is still current as far as I can tell.

Please can you help?

Cheers

B

Edited by Bisonator

Guest PaulOBrien

First release peeps... taking requests. :)

You know the deal, MCR's are all about stability, tweaked stock look and feel...

P

Guest fradleyp

Can you still play videos in pop out mode with this?

Installed cyanogenmod which was fantastic on San Fran but now seems lacking of the S3

Guest PaulOBrien
Hi Paul, Can you add the Navigation bar (soft keys) to Online Kitchen ?

Really? I imagine so but why? :-D

Can you still play videos in pop out mode with this?

Installed cyanogenmod which was fantastic on San Fran but now seems lacking of the S3

Yeah.

P

Guest ogdobber

Ah OK, so that's an app problem rather than a rom problem.

Maybe try deleting and recreating the configuration?

P

ok i got it. basically after a couple of reboots and/or until the phone "settles", it is working like a charm.

(sorry for jumping the gun)

thanks paul

Edited by ogdobber

Guest ogdobber

taking requests? i got a couple crt off and extended power menu

however, by the time your up, I will have it done...but they are cool feature nonetheless

Guest PaulOBrien

taking requests? i got a couple crt off and extended power menu

however, by the time your up, I will have it done...but they are cool feature nonetheless

Post them here then and I can add to the kitchen! :D

P

Really? I imagine so but why? :-D

I think many people coming from Gnex will want to use the soft keys. The placement of the capacitive keys on galaxy s3 in just too low imo. Its also very easy to accidentally press one of those keys. On my current rom I have disabled the capacitive touch keys because they were driving me nuts.

Guest David Ferguson

Can we have an option for standard ICS Gallery with Picasa Sync? i find the Samsung gallery slow compare to stock and i hate the fact its alwaws searching for my NAS servers and loading images.

I tried the google Contacts & Dialler but the system kept crashing, is this a know bug?, i did disable the samsung contacts

Regards

David

A bit of a waste of screen estate tho?

P

Maybe for some people it is. But for me navbar outweighs the little loss in screen size. It's still an upgrade from the gnex' screen estate.

Guest PaulOBrien

Working on an issue with the Vanilla release around Contacts / Phone. Hold fire on that and i'll update the kitchen / prebake shortly. Watch this space!

P

Guest David Ferguson

Working on an issue with the Vanilla release around Contacts / Phone. Hold fire on that and i'll update the kitchen / prebake shortly. Watch this space!

P

Thanks Paul