[ROM][Skate] RootBox - CM/AOKP/PA mix - Android 4.2.2 (20/03/2013)

Guest C3C0

Guest C3C0

Just a little info. Merged latest rb today. But changes are drastic since they switched to GCC 4.7 and made some changes in this regard. I am getting some build errors. Mainly "strict aliasing" check issues which I resolved already. But getting some other arm compiler errors now... Real pain in the ass...

Will try to get back to it later...

Guest C3C0

OK, so here it is - RootBox 4.0 for our Skate.

What you should know before you upgrade:

1) I haven't had a chance to test the build thoroughly (since Skate is not mine anymore).

I only checked if it boots and went quickly through settings mainly to see if PA Hybrid engine works.

If it's stable at least as the previous builds were, you have to find out yourselves :)

2) they replaced AOSP launcher with Trebuchet, so don't be surprised

3) the system size increased significantly so I was forced to remove bootanimation and couple of ringtones to fit in 200MB limit.

4) not sure if full wipe is needed. Might be just fine with wiping dalvik cache, but in case of troubles do a full wipe

5) don't forget to backup your current rom before flashing - let me repeat, this build is completely untested

Link: http://tinyw.in/tnTe

Edited by C3C0

Guest SingleWolf

C3C0

Can't find "Performance control" in Settings menu.

Changing DPI in Hybrid Settings not affect whole system (for example, most of Settings sub-menus still unchanged)

Edited by SingleWolf

Guest johnny07mdc

Thanks for providing the update even now

you don't own skate anymore.

I am thinking maybe new phone soon,

do you like your new device and would recommend one?

Guest C3C0

I've got the black version and I am very happy with it. For that price, it has amazing build quality. 5" HD IPS screen is perfect with unlimited vieweing angles and great sharpness.

I thought that 5" would be too much for me but actually I got used to it very quickly. Camera is doing very well, too.

MTK6589 looks to be efficient with no overheating at all and making 2000mAh battery last 2 to 3 days of moderate use and ~ 6 hours screen time.

I am running pure Android 4.2.1 on it with some of my fixes and mods on top (http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2249808)

A big change jumping to this from Skate. Finally a real Android experience on a fast device.

I definitely recommend this device. New version will be available soon with turbo version of MTK6589 running at 1.5GHz (x4) making it a bit faster.

I don't recommend it in case you want to be running ROMs built from source like CM,AOKP,PA, though.

Edited by C3C0

Guest johnny07mdc

Thanks there's always a better device coming soon and skate is still relevant thanks to you and other devs giving it JB.

It's definitely going on my list

Guest honigfisch

Try A GPSMod for Skate. Just flash it with cwm.

If it doesnt work than flash slim bean again.

Wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik and format system -> flash slim bean

Edited by honigfisch

• 2 weeks later...
Guest iOmega1

Please help me!

I have now on my ZTE Skate (Medion) Cyanogenmod 7 installed(and I had Clockworkmod v.5.5.. for Skate, but now i have the v.6 from 4pda.ru). All work great, but i want to install Android v.4.2.2...

I copy the ROM to sdcard .. Wipe system/cash, format system...

Tham i want to install it.. i press install zip...

It write open.. update .. than it appear the letters root box... than a few seconds later he write: error Status7...

I tried to install first a lower android like android 4.0.. it dont work too.. I changed my Clockworkmod to v.6 it dont work too...

Help me please.. how i can install this ROM :'-(

@iOmega1

Probably your system partition is not big enough. You need 200mb to run root box.

Verify, and if so, repartition using tpt helper using Skate_v2b layout.

Guest iOmega1

Thanks, it helped:-)

but why it is not in the heading.. And i read the chat... but i find nothing there..

I'll try some other ROMS too and than choose one if them..

Guest iOmega1

Why no one is able to fix camera flash of video thumbnails... :-(

P. S. You can fix the thumbnails if you install the gallery from cyanogenmod 7...

but if you try to install the old camera app and move it to system it dont work