[ROM][ZTE Skate] H3 Holo (Dolby Audio + Linaro optimized kernel + frandom + ROW I/O scheduler)

Guest H3ROS

Will the OTA updates restore /system/app APKs that I've deleted before flashing?

(I won't need GooglePlayServices, LatinIME, Email, VoiceSearch, Wallpapaers, Talk, LiveWallpapers, GenieWidget, GoogleQuickSearchBox, OmaDownloadProvider, VisualizationWallpapers, GoogleFeedback, GoogleContactsSyncAdapter, GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter, Stk, GoogleBakcupTransport, OmaDrmProvider, TtsService, DrmProvider, ApplicationsProvider, PicoTts)

A few of them yes. You can delete what you don't require from the zip before flashing though.

@ Jummie Strimell

I think that's Russian, correct? I guess that uses a different set of resources, so I'll look into it asap.

I've no idea how it's set itself to Russian though since Russian isn't a language option.

Fixed:

post-954400-0-43687200-1384709024_thumb.

http://ubuntuone.com/0YL7zU222eV8vatfSes2aA

I'll include it in my next update.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest nicksoph

Normally it'll just combine with whats seen in the apps section. I'm not sure if maybe the "df" command from terminal emulator would list the partition or not though.

Had a look using df and it lists /data - twice - both with the same details -

Size = 473MB - Used = 277 and Blk Size as 1024,

the 1024 byte blocks would indicate it as the 512MB SD EXT partition although Ive no idea why it wouldnt show the full 512MB as it was formatted with CWM as 512MB with a zero sized cache. and df shows the 64mb cache as having 4096 byte blocks which would put it on the internal memory.

The Sub directories of /data are listed as being on a partition of

Size = 288MB - Used = 90MB and with a block size of 4096 ,

which I think indicates the internal memory. 

Thanks again,

nick

The cache being 64MB would be due to my script.  Basically if you've got a 2MB cache or a 35MB cache then it'll unmount the existing cache and use tmpfs to create a 64MB cache, which will allow you to download larger games or apps from the Play Store.

Personally I use a 2MB cache with a 150MB system partition, which gives me 288MB for data. With the ROM installed I then have 4MB of free space (system memory). That's mainly because the ROM's been optimized so that it'll give you more free RAM at the cost of a few larger apk's.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest nicksoph

Personally I use a 2MB cache with a 150MB system partition, which gives me 288MB for data. With the ROM installed I then have 4MB of free space (system memory). That's mainly because the ROM's been optimized so that it'll give you more free RAM at the cost of a few larger apk's.

I think our partition sizes on the phone are identical - its not clear but when I said I had a zero size cache I was referring to the option in CWM to make a cache partition that is created on the SD card when you make the EXT partition. After 2 days use can report that battery life seems better than Blues and other than changing the cpu settings when I was copying back the data I have left it as you designed it.

@ colombina77

I'm having to use Google translator to read HTCmania, but what you said about the cache redirect and "not everyone has a good effect" isn't true. It'll only give you a 64MB cache if you're using a 2MB cache or a 35MB cache. Now, I'd prefer not unmount the existing 35MB cache, but I've got no option if I want people to have maximum app compatibility. The ROM has been tuned this way too, so my memory settings take account for the 64MB going towards the cache, which means that it's not a problem for anyone.

If you're using a TPT with an uncommon cache size then that would come down to the user to fix, not the developer. I've always recommended people to use a 2MB cache and a 150MB system partition.

As for RAM usage, as I said yesterday "the ROM's been optimized so that it'll give you more free RAM at the cost of a few larger apk's". So nothing is wasted and the ROM runs very lite, which is one of the reasons it's so fast.

In your post you also mentioned CronicCorey, as if I didn't credit him, although I have within the script since I created it. I'd simply forgot to credit him within post #2 because I'd been focused on other things, like improving the ROM and fixing the what was a rather urgent bluetooth bug. Anyway, I've now added his name to post #2.

There's nothing anyone can do to improve the ROM further when it comes to speed or smoothness. The only way to make things faster would be for me to continue to tweak the kernel, making even more code improvements.

Hello H3ROS!

I tested your latest release and its perfect, i dont know how you manage but tippmixpro.hu bet site finally working on gingerbread now with updated host file to!

I dont change anything in the rom, just odexed apps, frameworks and setting the dalvik option right for this. Huhh its really smooth and fast build.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: 

If you want one good and fast launcher look at here: / "KitKat launcher" for gb, ics  for me better than holo launcher /

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2514743

Edited by fagyi

@ fagyi

I've actually tested that launcher before, but there's some things I don't like about it.

• I'd want it to use ICS/JB icons, or not replace icons at all
  • The dock indicator is too large and clips off of the screen
  • App names don't centre correctly
  • The menu looks ugly

I might be able to fix all of the above problems myself, but I've been waiting to see what the dev does with it. Maybe I'll take another look at it to see what I can do later today though.

I'm curious what you mean by "setting the dalvik option right for this" as I'd changed them for maximum speed, while still keeping compatibility. Many websites posting the so called "improved" flags will actually break apps that use class verification e.g. Poweramp. Also if you've adjusted the heap size then that can have an effect on the LMK (low memory killer).

@ nimic

That's actually an easy thing for me to do, since I did theme the stock music app before I decided to switch to Shuttle. I'll upload it shortly.

Edit: You can now find the addon in post #2.

Every time I release an update you'll need to remove Music.apk from it yourself. That or you can reflash the addon and it'll clean everything up for you.

Edited by H3ROS

Here's a question for people using the ROM. Does roaming work for you? I can't test it on my network, but someones said that they were unable to get it working. Nobody has ever said that they've got a problem with it though, so I'm not sure if it's APN related or something needs patching.

Guest RogyHyde

Here's a question for people using the ROM. Does roaming work for you? I can't test it on my network, but someones said that they were unable to get it working. Nobody has ever said that they've got a problem with it though, so I'm not sure if it's APN related or something needs patching.

Working perfect with a Mobile Virtual Network Operator on Spain (Tuenti, Movistar network)

Thanks guys :)

There might be an update in the next few days which might adjust your launcher settings. This is because Holo Launcher released an update which forcefully changes parts of the launcher to look like KitKat without offering the option to disable it. So much for it being "highly customizable".

There might be an update in the next few days which might adjust your launcher settings. This is because Holo Launcher released an update which forcefully changes parts of the launcher to look like KitKat without offering the option to disable it. So much for it being "highly customizable".

The ultimate question - it is smooth?

The updated launcher isn't smooth. I'm not sure if I'll tweak it for speed or what just yet, but smoothness isn't a factor for me. I mean, have you looked at the size of Holo Launcher? It's small and uses very little RAM, which can't be said for the other launchers.

The updated launcher isn't smooth. I'm not sure if I'll tweak it for speed or what just yet, but smoothness isn't a factor for me. I mean, have you looked at the size of Holo Launcher? It's small and uses very little RAM, which can't be said for the other launchers.

Right, it has advantages , but how i feel when i'm in touch with this tipe of launchers , i feel nothing, i just don't like at all just to change like pictures/ very slow animations, like no animations at all , i like his theme and style because looks exactly like Trebuchet - great launcher but only for cm10, but they really need to make it a lot better in scrolling...my opinion.

The issue is that it's not accelerated at all on the Skate, so it's either you have slower but smoother animations or you have lightning fast load times. I've gone for speed since that's the one thing I'm pushing most, but others such as yourself might prefer smoothness.

I'm currently working on a launcher that may be a little smoother. I may not release it though if I can't get font shadows to work correctly.

@H3ROS Could you also include the feature that "all" of the CM based ROMs have - volume button music control? That's the only thing that's keeping me from using H3 right now, because no other app works as good as the native feature.

It's got all of the features H3 Blues has and more, so volume button music control is already there. You'd just hold volume up or down while the screens off and it'll skip tracks :)

Guest jfmartins

Thanks H3ROS for this ROM ...Kudos 2U

Works great om my 2 Skates :D

Very fast and stable

One question .... rookie/nerd one : Is there an option to make batery icon display % value ? thks once again

There isn't, but I might make an addon for such a thing once I know that I won't be updating the framework-res anymore.

You may consider adding a widget to display the info until I create an addon.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.geekyouup.android.widgets.battery

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.depoortere.android.CircleBatteryWidget

Both of the above apps don't require any permissions that they shouldn't need.

Guest jfmartins

There isn't, but I might make an addon for such a thing once I know that I won't be updating the framework-res anymore.

You may consider adding a widget to display the info until I create an addon.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.geekyouup.android.widgets.battery

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.depoortere.android.CircleBatteryWidget

Both of the above apps don't require any permissions that they shouldn't need.

Thks for the help

Keep the good work :)

Guest xander21

I think i haven't say it before but you made a very good work on your both rom.

I wanted to always use the newest OS but using H3 Holo make me appreciate a good old 2.3.5.

I also have tried many roms since a tear but i don't remember having a rom that never lag when i load menu. (maybe it was the app killer that make that ?!?)

Even browser has been changed and i don't know why, surfing web has always been very slow on other rom.

Right now, for me, only keyboard could be updated (put the ç on the c letter and few words not know) but i'll get used to it.

I find out that it doesn't link words before and after the apostrophe.

But if we write the first and the apostrophe then stop swiping before write 2nd word, it works well.

Edited by xander21

I also have tried many roms since a tear but i don't remember having a rom that never lag when i load menu. (maybe it was the app killer that make that ?!?)

There's many things I've done to improve it. There's the tweaked dalvik cache settings, optimized APK's so you have more free RAM, frandom, changed partition mounting flags at the OS and kernel level, modded fsync, cleaned up code and added the ROW I/O scheduler to enhance the read speed.

The default browser on Gingerbread ROM's kind of sucks, so I replaced it with somethings that's much faster and renders web pages really well. I made sure to not make it a system app though, so people can easily replace the supplied browser with whatever they prefer.

The keyboard is the one thing I can't modify much. I can change how it looks and I can add some languages, as I have done, but I can't fix it's minor flaws. With that said, for me it works best if I disable audio feedback, auto-correction and suggestions. If that's not enough for others though then I've supplied an addon in post #2 for an ICS style keyboard without word swiping. It's fast and works really well.

I'd just like to thank people again though for their kind words. After a pretty rough year for me it's nice to hear people say things like it was worth waiting for and that it's beautiful or excellent. And to them who have donated I can't tell you enough how awesome that is to me. But for them curious or considering donating, anything I'm given goes towards me doing things like renewing my domain name, apps from the Play Store (if I need to buy one in order to debug something or it's just a good app) and I'm also saving for a holiday. So basically nothing's wasted on crap.

Edited by H3ROS