Coolpad F1 8297w

Guest bryfly

Guest pletko

this is only a guess but with a fair percentage of being right because i found a comment below a framaroot tutorial that one should not perform ota update at any cost since framaroot doesn't work after that.

so, is there any way i can revert the ota update?

Guest goodfella123

Happy i found this thread.

I'm not the most experienced when upgrading phones, so i hope you don't mind me asking these questions.

1/ Is this the only Coolpad thread on Modaco?

2/ Was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to produce a guide from the links posted - a sort of 'out of the box' guide? I often need to follow guides to get the best out of my phones, but i'm not afraid to try (as long as i can restore a backup).

I've previously owned a zte blade and recently a g300 for the last 2 years.

I like the look of the coolpad and enjoy flashing roms etc.

I also like the look of the doogee dg550, but in terms of support and for my first phone shipped from china i think i'd go for the coolpad. It also has 2gb ram compared to the dg550 1gb ram.

3/ Is there any reason people have selected DHL over TNT for delivery?

There is a seller on ebay with good feedback selling the coolpad F1 for a good price.

4/ Would this negate the customs charge by purchasing from ebay?

5/ Also, does anyone think it's a good idea for the buyer protection to purchase off ebay?

6/ As i read through the 8 pages of this thread i saw the person who had a g300 decided to eventually go for this. Is this a good phone to go for after the g300?

Thanks for reading this long post!

Guest dalyer
1/ Is this the only Coolpad thread on Modaco?

Well it sort of started/got spun out of here:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359664-offtopic-china-phone-discussion-updated-30102013/

2/ Was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to produce a guide from the links posted - a sort of 'out of the box' guide? I often need to follow guides to get the best out of my phones, but i'm not afraid to try (as long as i can restore a backup).

It's a bit early days. Only a few people have received their phones recently and are still only starting to play with them as far as I can see.

There is a seller on ebay with good feedback selling the coolpad F1 for a good price.

4/ Would this negate the customs charge by purchasing from ebay?

As far as I can see customs charges are a bit of a lottery no matter who the seller is and what the delivery mechanism is.
Buying from eBay certainly isn't a protection against them per se,
Anecdotal reports suggest that (slower - usually much slower!) post may be less likely to get hit than courier but I doubt that this is the case.
I think it's simply more down to how thorough your country's customs service is.
You need to hope that they're not too thorough! :D

5/ Also, does anyone think it's a good idea for the buyer protection to purchase off ebay?

I don't think that it's necessarily better or worse than other buyer protections - e.g. PayPal, AliExpress etc.

Hope this helps.
Edited by dalyer

Guest goodfella123

Thanks for the reply and answers, i appreciate it.

I may well just take the plunge from Matrix as they seem to have good feedback on here.

Does everybody message them first to check stock and avoid lengthy delivery?

Just hope Pletko's experience is an exception.

Guest dalyer

Just hope Pletko's experience is an exception.

Well looks like the key tip may be to avoid doing any OTA update when you get F1 before rooting it (if not already rooted).

Guest Maringer

I was planning to switch across to start using my Coolpad F1 today. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I needed a micro SIM and not the standard SIM which I'm currently using! D'oh!

I've sent off for a SIM cutter so will hopefully be able to start using the F1 during the next couple of days, providing I don't make a balls up of trimming my SIM card down.

Guest goodfella123

Ah good point, i think i can order one for free so may just get one.

Just a quick question - couldn't find any posts about the clone phones from china - in particular the s5's.

Is the reason simply because they are clones or is there a bit more to it?

The specs look good, but presumably the parts aren't up to scratch, but i'm not sure.

Think i read somewhere gps can be an issue on them.

Guest dalyer

I was planning to switch across to start using my Coolpad F1 today. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I needed a micro SIM and not the standard SIM which I'm currently using! D'oh!

I've sent off for a SIM cutter so will hopefully be able to start using the F1 during the next couple of days, providing I don't make a balls up of trimming my SIM card down.

Can't you just get a replacement micro SIM from your provider?

Guest Maringer

Can't you just get a replacement micro SIM from your provider?

I'm on giffgaff and they didn't previously allow swapping numbers from one SIM to another. However, I've just had a quick search around and it appears this has been possible for the last six months or so.

I've ordered a SIM from them but this could take a few days to arrive. I've tried to cancel the SIM cutter order (on Amazon), so I'll see which happens first. If it's too late and the SIM cutter is sent to me, I'll clip the current one down. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for the new giffgaff SIM.

Guest pletko

i got mine right away after visiting their (my provider's) store. and i mean literally in minutes. it only took 3-4 hours for it to become active but nevertheless it was surprisingly quick :)

Guest Maringer

Giffgaff doesn't have any stores are part of their business model so you need to order SIMs online. Once the new SIM arrives, it seems it ought to be straightforward to swap the numbers between the SIMs just by filling in a form online. Just a pain in the neck to have to wait when I could be playing around with the phone!

On another note, I've rooted the phone and installed CWM but haven't yet got around to updating the ROM. I wasn't able to successfully install drivers on my PC, however (Windows 7 64-bit). Can anybody point me to some drivers which will work with computer/phone set-up? I tried to use some from a link posted by dakok earlier in the thread but Windows told me these weren't valid.

In the drivers page linked in the first post, I couldn't work out how to SPAM (<- crazy spam-filter from the forum!) correct files from the Chinese web site!

Edited by Maringer

Guest Ascend

I have used a template to cut them before. Just make sure you use sharp scissors out knife and don't cut into the metal bit.

Guest Maringer

Just found this source for ROM's etc, do not think it has been highlighted before

http://www.romjd.com/Device/coolpad-8297/new/all/1

Would this be any good for Pletko

http://www.mgyun.com/FlashCourse/deviceid/743

Actually, I think that's the page with ROMs for the TD-SCDMA version of the F1.

The link we require is on the following page of that forum:

http://www.romjd.com/Device/coolpad-8297w/new/all/1

Might be worth a look at those.

As for the comments about templates and cutting my SIM down, I've printed a template out but will probably be too busy to attempt anything today. I'll then have to decide whether or not to await the arrival of a proper micro SIM from giffgaff.

Guest dakok

There is a selection of 14 roms for our phone at Mobile Uncle website.

There is also a MIUI patch that converts TDSCDMA MIUI rom for F1 to a WCDMA one :)

I wonder if it works for non-MIUI roms :)

Guest bryfly

There is also a MIUI patch that converts TDSCDMA MIUI rom for F1 to a WCDMA one :)

I wonder if it works for non-MIUI roms :)

As you found it we will let you be the first to try it ;)  :)

Guest dakok

On another note, I've rooted the phone and installed CWM but haven't yet got around to updating the ROM. I wasn't able to successfully install drivers on my PC, however (Windows 7 64-bit). Can anybody point me to some drivers which will work with computer/phone set-up? I tried to use some from a link posted by dakok earlier in the thread but Windows told me these weren't valid.

I don't get it all  - You rooted phone and you don¨t have the drivers???  You used Framaroot then?

PDA.net driver is known as the best one for mtk phones - although it didn`t help Pletko :(

(use pda 64-bit)

@Pletko

Did you try Chinese or English VRoot version - since they are not the same :)

Chinese is 1.7.6.6640

English is  1.7.3.4863

Edited by dakok

Guest pletko

yup, i tried them both, also in all sorts of combination with official and unofficial drivers. unfortunately, nothing helped...

still waiting for the next version of framaroot which would hopefully solve my problem so i can use my phone

Guest Ascend
Guest Maringer

I don't get it all  - You rooted phone and you don¨t have the drivers???  You used Framaroot then?

PDA.net driver is known as the best one for mtk phones - although it didn`t help Pletko :(

(use pda 64-bit)

Yep, I used the Framaroot apk to root the phone.

I'll look into PDA.net - thanks for the tip.

Edited by Maringer

Guest dakok

This is the way to install Google Services (Google Play, etc) without root

Take your own responsibility to flash this!

1 Move the zip package into the root directory of phone memory /storage/emulated/0, note the name do not change; 
3 Enter the System Setup - on the phone, click on eight consecutive "version number", enter developer mode, ie press the return key to exit on the phone to see the "Developer Options"; 
4 Click into the developer options down to the final surface to find "GMS package pre-installed" option, click, the system prompts "Restart phone GMS package will install", click OK to install; 
5 After the installation is complete, it will automatically boot, boot into the application to view the completed package to the GMS application installed;

Google services patch:

This is google translation and my english is far from perfect so I leave this short guide without major corrections. I think it is clear enough, anyway :)
(P.S. if someone wants to make this absolutely clear - be my guest)

Source:
http://bbs.7to.cn/thread-9378-1-1.html (several other sites have this, too)