[KERNEL] [Y300/G510] Stock Huawei

Guest H3ROS

@ Zolla

This kernel will score correctly, but try something like the CeXstel kernel on a stock ROM and you'll get results that aren't accurate under some apps. I don't know if it has any other side effects either, but as the stock kernel and this kernel output reasonable values it'll be safer for me to base my modified kernel off of this kernel.

@ moddingg33k

I'm actually happier to use a this kernel as it includes some fixes and it's closer to stock.I know you're still adding things to this too, but if you don't add in overclocking, dynamic fsync, frandom etc then I will. Doing that I'll get a few extra frames in some games and the battery drain isn't noticeable at all (I've tested for over a month now). It's well worth it IMO, so maybe you'd consider putting out an official version that includes the overclocks and the mentioned features? One standard version and one with overclocking enabled and dynamic fsync enabled by default.

The kernel of this topic is supposed to be a stock kernel. I mainly only added code, but didn't integrate significant changes on purpose.

If you download Huawei's sources and try to compile their kernel you will fail. There are a few errors the compiler is complaining about. You also won't be able to get Bluetooth or WiFi working.

So my intention was to provide a "fixed stock kernel source" for ppl who wanna start building their own kernel for Y300/G510.

Like I already mentioned earlier I will release another "synopsis kernel" soon, based upon this "basic kernel". I already updated the I2C bus driver and will integrate CK3's patches, which will also add BFS (brain f***d scheduler). Later I will integrate linux kernel mainline patches (3.4.89) and also further upgrade ZRAM to use the LZ4 api, which is already implemented into this kernel, but still disabled. From there one I will work on optimizing energy consumption related things as well as on I/O and all the other things smile.png

I'm not sure if dynamic fsync is really that important at all. And overclocking the CPU by 40 Mhz? That doesn't make too much sense IMHO. Which doesn't mean that I refuse to provide increased clock speeds. It's just not on my priority todo list wink.png

Edited by Guest

Guest H3ROS

Yeah, that's what I'd read before. That's also one of the reasons I didn't yet rebase any of the modifications I've put together on this kernel yet. It'd be kind of pointless if you're going to release something in a few weeks or a month or two that's going to perform even better.

When it comes to the overclocking changes I like to think of like this; If you enable dynamic fsync, make use of frandom and also add on 40MHz (plus the 20MHz for the GPU) and there's no noticeable extra battery drain but app's are slightly more responsive and you can gain 1-5 more fps in games then in my opinion that's worth it. I mean why not when there's no disadvantages?

The ROM I'm working on is almost back to AOSP. It's designed to be very clean and perform well out of the box. So people won't need to change any performance setting or anything like that as the best settings were already set for you when you installed the ROM. That means that there are no extra settings menus or apps like performance control. It's clean, fast and everything that fans of the stock Android experience could possibly want. So that's why I've currently got to modify a kernel as it has to perform a specific way.

Edited by H3ROS

I'm looking forward to your ROM. I like clean bloat-free AOSP based roms wub.png

Until the synopsis project can be considered "finished" it will take a while for sure. But i will keep releasing nightly/beta builds before of course. It's important to find all issues and i can't do that on my own. Everyone uses his devices on a different way.

Edited by Guest

Guest H3ROS

I ended up with a Y300 because a friend of mine from Canada bought one and they wanted an AOSP ROM, so I suggested FusionX. It's not bad but there's a lot of unfixed bugs, app's that aren't required and it's not optimized as well as it could be. Anyway, I found a good deal on a Y300 so I got one and in my free time I've been converting the stock ROM back to AOSP. It's a lot of work, but it's kind of fun at the same time. I just want to offer people a clean Android experience that performs well on the hardware. That and I believe that a user doesn't need all of them extra options if it performs well in the first place.

Obviously my main priority right now is the ROM as I've got a few small issues to work out, but soon it'll come to the kernel and it'd be great if whatever you release has the features I require as I wouldn't want to steal your thunder. It's just that if I were to release a version with a faster CPU and GPU plus faster disk access due to dynamic fsync then a lot of people would download my version, which I feel is a little cheap since you're the person doing most of the work to that kernel. So if you was to include the performance tweaks by default or if you were to release a separate kernel that included them tweaks then I feel that's fair. If, however, you're cool with me releasing a modded version that pushes the performance that little bit more then I'll do that.

Edited by H3ROS

Well since nobody is forced to enable dynamic fsync it's not a big deal to add it to the kernel. It's just not one of my top priorities atm. I'm up to any suggestion anytime though ;)

The intention you got working on our ROM is probably the same why I'm working on that kernel.

Guest H3ROS

The same could be said for frandom. That's something that's well worth adding as it's much faster.

Everything I'm saying here are just suggestions, not so much for this kernel but things to include in the kernel that you release after you're done with this one. I guess that'll be Synopsis v2 :)

If I finish my ROM soon then maybe I'll fork this kernel and add some changes and you can cherry pick them if you wanted to. If I don't do that though and I create a kernel based off of your work then you of course will be credited for that.

call it "synopsis-H3ROS-edition" for example tongue.png

But i will re-add frandom for sure and I also see no problem regarding fsync. Overclocking can't hurt neither. The kernel' standard default max clock will simply stay @ 1 Ghz. On that way everyone is free to increase it ^^ It can either bet set to an higher default by an init.d script or by modifying the ramdisk.

Edited by Guest

Guest ZolaIII

@H3ROS

I have a proposition for you!?

To add a XOR, OR command implementations & to update atomics & bionics libs so that they can follow each others.

Basically we all help with the kernel & you + make additional charges to the ROM that you are building.

Found up that Google did experiment with BFS in Froyos time bat they abandoned it & covered tracks by deleting all work.

Find & the basic version in a pi git so when we have it up & working it will not be so hard to release it to more recent version as CK don't maintain this aspect per kernel revision.

Here's an slightly updated kernel build: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vu1y3udxn9n76r6/synopsis_20140519_nightly_linaro483.zip

Overall performance should be increased a little and hopefully there's also an slighty reduction in power consumption even if not much.

Updates:

• writeback patches
  • (selected) CK3 tweaks
  • updated I2C bus driver
  • rwsem patches
  • implementation of power efficient workqueues
  • reduced softirq latencies

Oh: and the Timer Slack Controller is back (removed - seems to cause performance regressions)

Androbench did perform as following:  Sequential Read: 32 MB/sSequential Write: 5 MB/s Random Read: ~6 MB/s (1521 IOPS)Random Write: 0.2 MB/s (53 IOPS)

AnTuTu score (b199 stock rom - default settings): 7540

Edited by Guest

Guest Victod
I'm using today's build [18 May 2014] with Stock ROM (B199)

and I'm getting FC at the moment of take photos...

Someone more have this issue?

EDIT: false alarm, sorry,  it wasn't related with kernel..
Edited by Victod

Guest SH3H1

Battery scaling seems to be very accurate now :)

Before if i do reboot the battery would be jumping 10-20% high , but now it's correct (sometimes lower :huh: real truth )

Kernel 3.4.91 is released,i wonder if it will be keep the number and may be 3.5 :P ?

Guest ZolaIII

Battery scaling seems to be very accurate now :)

Before if i do reboot the battery would be jumping 10-20% high , but now it's correct (sometimes lower :huh: real truth )

Kernel 3.4.91 is released,i wonder if it will be keep the number and may be 3.5 :P ?

The so called battery state is very dependable from battery temperature & long run log.

When you reboot log file is deleted & will give you current real battery state this still don't exclude temperature dependency.

The 3.4 kernel is 3.4.xx kernel & they can't rise it more than that.

There are Google experimental kernels that are 3.6,3.7 based & new mainlined 3.10.

Aurora goes up to 3.7 as much as I know & won't go more up until Qualcomm releases new Arm v8 64 bit SoCs & even then only for mid to high end SoCs as everting over 3.7 needs mostly rewritten new drivers. Our kernel & external property drivers in some cases (not all) even date to the 2.4 era so don't expect much!

The only commercial SoC that ships with a 3.10 kernel made from Google's work mostly & for a Ubuntu is a K1 development board. This will change with 3.15 mainline (Linus real main line!) for the K1 as the support will be merged. There is a ∅ working builds for Android with working hard isa flout; all mainline supported SoCs have a working Linux distributions with working HF isa VFP & NEON...

Guest mitchde

I used the .zip disable ZRAM / SWAP.

Now i want to enable ZRAM (not SWAP). Ist there  any .zip (install with recovery) to eable ZRAM again?

Thanks

EDIT: Found it, used Performance control, start ZRAM , working now.

Edited by mitchde

Guest SH3H1

I wonder why CM10 ROM have fastest UI :)

@H3ROS

If you could achieve it in your ROM,that would be a biggest gain (at least for me :P )

Guest ZolaIII

I wonder why CM10 ROM have fastest UI :)

@H3ROS

If you could achieve it in your ROM,that would be a biggest gain (at least for me :P )

It's not faster just less animations in framework... @ Trebuchet.

Update: kernel got upgraded to version 3.4.91

(next to various bugfixes there are also several fixes of kernel exploits included)

EDIT: bluetooth, wlan and zram tested and working. hope everything else is working, too. let me know if you experience any issues.

I still didn't have time to get the latest CodeAurora MSM-3.4 kernel working with our device. This is supposed to be the base kernel source for the next synopsis version happy.png

Edited by Guest