[PORT][ROM][13.12.] Remix OS 2.0 (Android 5.1.1) for Chuwi Vi10 Plus, Hi10 Plus, Hi10 Pro, Hibook, Hibook Pro & Hi12

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

This is my port of Remix OS 2.0 for Chuwi Vi10 Plus, Hi10 Plus, Hi10 Pro, Hibook, Hibook Pro & Hi12. This ROM is based on Chuwi Hi10 Plus official Remix OS release build B2016092102.

Screenshot_2016-12-11-17-38-09.png

Do not mirror my builds! Please post a link to this page instead.

RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus.zip
http://konstakang.com/devices/chuwi_vi10plus/RemixOS
md5:bae3c864d458192ed782d1ded5b10c9f

Working:

• Wifi
  • Audio (playback/input/routing/headphones/etc)
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera
  • Hardware video decoding & encoding
  • Hardware acceleration and OpenGL rendering
  • HDMI
  • Keyboard dock
  • Network/wifi location
  • SD cards
  • Stylus pen (HiPen H2)
  • USB storage (MTP and PTP) & adb
  • USB OTG (storage, mouse, keyboard)
  • Touchscreen/multi-touch
  • Sensors

Not working:

• ???

Changes I've made compared to the original firmware:

• include source built kernel with updated mmc drivers to fix 'freezing issue' on Vi10/Hi10 Plus
  • add configs for external keyboard docks to fix 'keyboard dock wake issue'
  • remove suspicious TeleyService & YouTubeOem apps that are bundled with stock Remix OS on Chuwi devices
  • add Widevine blobs from Cube iWork8 Ultimate to fix playback of DRM protected content with various media streaming apps
  • disable dm-verity
  • enable/disable 'reboot to Windows' option on different devices

Sources:

• Jide for Remix OS
  • Jide Technology for releasing Linux kernel source code for Chuwi Vi10 Plus
  • festlv for the keybord dock wake fix
  • matrixsoul for B2016092102 dump
Like my work?
btn_donate_LG.gif
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

13.12. changelog:

• remove suspicious YouTubeOem app that's bundled with stock Remix OS on Chuwi devices (see virustotal)
  • add Widevine blobs from Cube iWork8 Ultimate to fix playback of DRM protected content with various media streaming apps

11.12. changelog:

• B2016092102
  • initial release
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

How to install:

1. boot into TWRP recovery
  2. backup -> backup (create a nandroid backup of your current ROM)
  3. wipe -> advanced wipe -> wipe /system
  4. wipe -> factory reset
  5. install RemixOS-Bxxxxxxxxxx-chuwi_vi10plus.zip
  6. (install Hi10 Plus/Hi10 Pro/Hibook/Hibook Pro/Hi12 patch if necessary - see FAQ below)
  7. reboot system

FAQ:

Q: I don't have root. I don't have busybox. What should I do?
A: Download SuperSU and/or BusyBox flashable zip and install it in TWRP.

Q: I can't find developer options, why?
A: Settings -> About tablet -> Click 'Build number' several times

Q: I have Hi10 Plus. What should I do?
A: Download patch below and install it in TWRP.

RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus-Hi10Plus.zip

Q: I have Hi10 Pro. What should I do?

RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus-Hi10Pro.zip

RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus-Hi10Pro-HQ64.zip

Q: I have Hibook. What should I do?

RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus-Hibook.zip

Q: I have Hibook Pro. What should I do?

RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus-HibookPro.zip

Q: I have Hi12. What should I do?

RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus-Hi12.zip

RemixOS-B2016092102-chuwi_vi10plus-Hi12-451609XXX.zip (latest batch - serial no 451609XXX)

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
17 minutes ago, absolut33 said:

Many thanks!

Widevine support?

Completely forgot about it.

I can make a flashable patch later and include it if/when there's another release (there's still that newer B2016092601 out there somewhere).

Guest absolut33
Completely forgot about it.

I can make a flashable patch later and include it if/when there's another release (there's still that newer B2016092601 out there somewhere).

Thanks[emoji3]

Guest KonstaT

Here's a patch that will make Widevine work. Also added it to 'how to fix all the things' thread because this is universal to all Android 5.1 ROMs that don't already support it (CM12.1). Will be included if/when there's another Remix OS release.

vi10plus-widevine.zip
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862688297
md5:09892471a4b74585937da8f53a43dfd3

Edited by KonstaT

Guest PalmTrees

Thanks for porting this :) Which OS do you run on your Vi10 Plus? And any idea where to pull a changelog for this particular build/any obvious updates over the ported Onda build on the iWork 8 Air? 

Guest KonstaT
10 hours ago, PalmTrees said:

Thanks for porting this :) Which OS do you run on your Vi10 Plus? And any idea where to pull a changelog for this particular build/any obvious updates over the ported Onda build on the iWork 8 Air? 

CM13. I run CyanogenMod on all my devices (except my daily driver phone which runs non-rooted stock). Of course I'm always running what I'm developing/testing/debugging at the time. Yesterday I ran Phoenix OS for about and hour (https://twitter.com/konstatuomio/status/807940533100412928) and Remix OS for couple of hours when I finished this. Nandroid backups are great!

There's no changelog and there's no source code so who really knows. Have to believe that newer is always better. Remix OS has matured quite a lot past few months. Only ran the iWork8 Ultimate port for a very short time so I don't exactly remember what's there. At least they've now included their 'Remix Central' app store (and other stuff that can be considered bloat ;)).

9 hours ago, yener90 said:

What is the main difference between this version & older Hi10 plus/pro version?

There's at least 'reboot to Windows' option built in compared to the previous Vi10/Hi10 Plus build. Changes I've made are listed in the OP.

Idea was not to make this as an 'update' as such (still going to use the latest build available of course). Point was to have a TWRP flashable Remix OS and one build to rule all devices.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest PalmTrees

@KonstaTThat's why I asked, couldn't really find any changelogs. Or I could, but none related to the specific build number. In theory, wouldn't this build be eligible for porting to the iWork 8 Air? The specs of the devices are similar. I have to stress I don't think you should, just want to learn more. Last question (again to learn) what would it take for a CM 14.1 build to be developed - what are the current constraints? I'm still reading my way through the links you posted and checking YouTube videos to get a fundamental understanding of everything. Progress is being made, slowly :D My Vi10 Plus has landed in Denmark, now the postal service just needs to do their job and I can finally get going. I'm thinking of making a YouTube video of "How to fix Chuwi Vi10 Plus" - seems like there isn't one at the moment. 

Guest KonstaT
29 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

@KonstaTThat's why I asked, couldn't really find any changelogs. Or I could, but none related to the specific build number. In theory, wouldn't this build be eligible for porting to the iWork 8 Air? The specs of the devices are similar. I have to stress I don't think you should, just want to learn more. Last question (again to learn) what would it take for a CM 14.1 build to be developed - what are the current constraints? I'm still reading my way through the links you posted and checking YouTube videos to get a fundamental understanding of everything. Progress is being made, slowly :D My Vi10 Plus has landed in Denmark, now the postal service just needs to do their job and I can finally get going. I'm thinking of making a YouTube video of "How to fix Chuwi Vi10 Plus" - seems like there isn't one at the moment. 

Time, energy, motivation. There's also some behind the scenes stuff going on with CM right now so we'll have to see what future brings...

From technical perspective it's going to be a massive PITA to hack all those old Lollipop/Marshallow proprietary binary drivers to work with Nougat. I have few other devices I'm going to do before this if/when I get started with Nougat anyway.

Guest yener90
1 hour ago, KonstaT said:

There's at least 'reboot to Windows' option built in compared to the previous Vi10/Hi10 Plus build. Changes I've made are listed in the OP.

Idea was not to make this as an 'update' as such (still going to use the latest build available of course). Point was to have a TWRP flashable Remix OS and one build to rule all devices.

Oh ok, for me Remix OS 2 was really buggy, thererfore that question :)

Guest PalmTrees
29 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

Time, energy, motivation. There's also some behind the scenes stuff going on with CM right now so we'll have to see what future brings...

From technical perspective it's going to be a massive PITA to hack all those old Lollipop/Marshallow proprietary binary drivers to work with Nougat. I have few other devices I'm going to do before this if/when I get started with Nougat anyway.

Alright, still not sure what that specifically includes (sorry) the "proprietary binary drivers" part. Not sure if any of these features have any interest https://www.maketecheasier.com/get-android-nougat-features-on-device/ . Should be hassle free. 

Guest PalmTrees

Found this as well https://devmesh.intel.com/projects/consoletab - a z8300 device "Android 7 "Nougat" has not been released and the full source code is not yet available for evaluation. Our expectation from testing, and discussion with partners, however is that we will be able to upgrade ConsoleTab to Android 7 Nougat early next year."

Console's website (read more about the tablet/project) https://console.enterprises/ Apparently this tablet is a "love child" between Teclast and Console. 

consoletab-table-two.jpg

Edited by PalmTrees

Guest KonstaT
46 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

Alright, still not sure what that specifically includes (sorry) the "proprietary binary drivers" part. Not sure if any of these features have any interest https://www.maketecheasier.com/get-android-nougat-features-on-device/ . Should be hassle free. 

https://github.com/CM-CHT/proprietary_vendor_intel/tree/cm-13.0

I have zero interest in themeing. You could do all that on CM13, though.

40 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

Found this as well https://devmesh.intel.com/projects/consoletab - a z8300 device "Android 7 "Nougat" has not been released and the full source code is not yet available for evaluation. Our expectation from testing, and discussion with partners, however is that we will be able to upgrade ConsoleTab to Android 7 Nougat early next year."

Console's website (read more about the tablet/project) https://console.enterprises/ Apparently this tablet is a "love child" between Teclast and Console. 

Intel has already killed mobile Atom lineup so I doubt they'll be providing Nougat BSP.

Console OS is/was crowd funding hoax AFAICT.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest PalmTrees
1 hour ago, KonstaT said:

Console OS is/was crowd funding hoax AFAICT.

That's from a year ago, seems like the project is moving forward + awaiting FCC approval according to the website - but not really sure what to make of it. Time will tell. The Android Nougat "planned update" part is most likely a marketing trick.

Guest KonstaT
43 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

That's from a year ago, seems like the project is moving forward + awaiting FCC approval according to the website - but not really sure what to make of it. Time will tell. The Android Nougat "planned update" part is most likely a marketing trick.

They've (or actually isn't it company of just one person?) have failed to deliver since 2014. Previous thing fell through so now they've pivoted to another scam to collect more funds. Tablet is not even available for pre-order yet on sale! I smell vaporware miles away. Just saying don't put your money on that Kickstarter. ;)

Marshmallow has been out for over a year. So far there's only three Cherry Trail devices running official Marshmallow that I'm aware of (Medion Lifetab P10506, Lenovo YogaBook, and Teclast Tbook 16 Power). Intel was lagging seriously behind and now they've pulled the plug from the whole platform. I'd say there's slim to none chances of any Cherry Trail device receiving official Nougat but I guess at this pace we'll have to wait for 2018 to see. :P

Guest PalmTrees
23 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

They've (or actually isn't it company of just one person?) have failed to deliver since 2014. Previous thing fell through so now they've pivoted to another scam to collect more funds. Tablet is not even available for pre-order yet on sale! I smell vaporware miles away. Just saying don't put your money on that Kickstarter. ;)

Marshmallow has been out for over a year. So far there's only three Cherry Trail devices running official Marshmallow that I'm aware of (Medion Lifetab P10506, Lenovo YogaBook, and Teclast Tbook 16 Power). Intel was lagging seriously behind and now they've pulled the plug from the whole platform. I'd say there's slim to none chances of any Cherry Trail device receiving official Nougat but I guess at this pace we'll have to wait for 2018 to see. :P

Guess it's safe to park the notion of an official Nougat update then :D I still have no idea how you keep track of everything, but I'm very thankful for your work and hope you continue updating whatever's possible for the Vi10 Plus (and iWork 8 Air, if it has any interest).

Hopefully, I'm able to create/assist in rom creation by 2018 ;D. First project is going to create a TWRP for Ramos MOS1 Max and then try to port one of the roms by Team M.A.D. Let's see how far I get. 

Edited by PalmTrees

Guest fear_factory84

Hi @KonstaT,

Have you noticed that in the Chuwi Remix OS 2.0 rom there is another "suspicious", possibly malware apk (virustotal) :

/addons/YouTubeOem/YouTubeOem.apk

Can you please remove it from the rom?

I got this tablet since a few days and started messing on it until I discovered that the provided remix os rom contained malware. First I installed ext2fsd on windows and I got rid of those two apk by deleting them. Due to dm-verity remix os was not booting anymore.

I installed the stock android 5.1.1 from Chuwi following the instructions on their forum and it looks apparently clean.

I tried to do a clean install of windows 10 1607 and I messed up the android partitions. Luckily I did a full backup with Macrium and now I'm going to restore everything back.

Do we have a general discussion topic about this tablet so I can seek information on how to cleanly reinstall windows on this tablet without messing up the android partitions?

Thanks!

edit: restore done, flashed twrp and your cm12.1 successfully, now back on the windows side to try to successfully upgrade to windows 10 1607... it looks like it's an hard thing to achieve.

Edited by fear_factory84

Guest tomshreds

I'm starting to think a Hibook Pro would be a good purchase, any reports of sleep issues like on Cube iWork8 Air for this tablet? Anything bad I should know before purchasing?

Guest PalmTrees
1 hour ago, tomshreds said:

I'm starting to think a Hibook Pro would be a good purchase, any reports of sleep issues like on Cube iWork8 Air for this tablet? Anything bad I should know before purchasing?

Go for the Hi10 Plus (4GB/64GB) or Chuwi Vi10 Plus instead. 

Guest tomshreds
44 minutes ago, PalmTrees said:

Go for the Hi10 Plus (4GB/64GB) or Chuwi Vi10 Plus instead. 

All things considered I thought the Hi10 Pro was the best choice for me but I'm so freaking dizzy by all the different products of the same category. What's the advantage of the Plus over the Pro in your opinon? I really like the Hi10 Pro / Hibook Pro keyboard combo. Plus has different keyboard too, I'll check reviews to see the difference. Hi10 Pro comes with Remix OS so that's a big plus to me too, I guess it's available for the Plus too.

EDIT: I heard in a review that the Hi10 Pro has USB 3 Type-C which is great.

EDIT2: Plus seems to have better battery life! (8400 vs 6500 I think)

Edited by tomshreds

Guest PalmTrees
1 hour ago, tomshreds said:

All things considered I thought the Hi10 Pro was the best choice for me but I'm so freaking dizzy by all the different products of the same category. What's the advantage of the Plus over the Pro in your opinon? I really like the Hi10 Pro / Hibook Pro keyboard combo. Plus has different keyboard too, I'll check reviews to see the difference. Hi10 Pro comes with Remix OS so that's a big plus to me too, I guess it's available for the Plus too.

EDIT: I heard in a review that the Hi10 Pro has USB 3 Type-C which is great.

EDIT2: Plus seems to have better battery life! (8400 vs 6500 I think)

They all ship with Remix OS. The Vi10 Plus is exclusively Remix OS (if I haven't sold this device to you by now, I give up :D )

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-tablets/chuwi-hi10-plus,chuwi-hi10-pro,chuwi-vi10-plus

Avoid the Hi10 Pro. It has worse battery capacity than Vi10 Plus and Hi10 Plus. If you want Type C/4gb ram/64gb ram, go for the Chuwi Hi10 Plus. The one listed on igogo is the z8350 version, ask @KonstaT if the roms are compatible with this processor (can't remember, sorry). 

Edited by PalmTrees