Hudl 2 connects to wifi but Tesco update server not switched on

Guest Emphatic Groan

Yes, I too have had no luck in getting an update from them. On January 25th they said thus:

Good morning Anna,

I can definitely confirm that we received all of the supporting evidence that you supplied.  My colleague, Conor, from the Operational Support Team is working with our business partners to try and find a solution for this issue as soon as is possible.

Kind Regards,
John Alexander

Tesco Tech Support
Tesco Customer Engagement Centre
[email protected]

and then on Sat 2/2 when I enquired after another week had passed without an update, they say:

Good Morning Anna,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

I'm sorry to inform you but I'm not able to provide with an update of the situation.

The issue has been raised with our business partners and IT consultants and it is currently under investigation. Unfortunately I'm not able to provide you with any kind of a timescale for this investigation, as soon as we know anything we'll provide you with an update.

Kind regards

Shtiliyan Gospodinov

Tesco Tech Support
Tesco Customer Engagement Centre
[email protected]

I'm now going to email the Tesco CEO, thanks for the address BubbyB - maybe he isn't aware that ALL hudl1s and at least a third of hudl2s - an awful lot of hudls in other words - are useless until this is fixed and can put some pressure on Tech Support!

Being an eternal optimist I'm hoping that the reference to 'our business partners' means Tesco is discussing the problem with the manufacturers. I've not had any further replies yet, but I will let you know when I do. 

Guest Emphatic Groan

This response from email to CEO yesterday:

Good morning

I’m very sorry that you’re unable to use your Hudl.

We’re aware of the issue you describe and our technical team are looking into it. I’ll let you know as soon as I have an update from them.

Thank you for your patience.

Best wishes

Lewis Gorrie
Customer Service Executive to the Board

They need new IT people if it's taking several weeks to even work out what the problem is at their end! If it's something very difficult and obscure, they could at least pass on that much information. Certainly doesn't seem they're treating the issue with anything approaching urgency...

Guest chrisevilgenius

Okay I have a solution (no rooting required) for the hudl 2 that started as my attempt on the hudl 1 (can get the CA installed).
I'm not going to be able to write all the steps up here, but the general concept is a "Man in the Middle" attack.
Requirements
BIND 9 (DNS server for you network with RPZ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_policy_zone)
lighttpd (or any other web server)
openssl
and SD card
First create a root CA https://aboutssl.org/how-to-create-and-import-self-signed-certificate-to-android-device/
Next create a web cert signed with the CA pem and key file above (skip creating the CA) https://gist.github.com/fntlnz/cf14feb5a46b2eda428e000157447309
The important bit is the CN but have fun "C=GB/ST=Hertfordshire/L=Cheshunt/O=Tesco PLC/OU=Tesco.com/CN=device.mobile.tesco.com"
Put the CA created int he first step onto the SD card and put the SD card into the device.
Use the wifi keyboard trick to get into setting can go into security.
Change the screen lock setting to a PIN, Pattern, etc (Required to install the cert only)
Then still in security Install form SD card (VPN and app)
Sorry I can real document this bit I'll just have to assume you can manage your network at this level.
Add a CNAME to the RPZ zone for device.mobile.tesco.com to the server you are going to use for the web server.
Configure the webserver to return the json below for any request to https://device.mobile.tesco.com/ota/ or below i.e. https://device.mobile.tesco.com/ota/rel.android-build.20150917.142239
{"status":"OK", "update": null}

Now setup you hudl 2 it will call home to your server and you're in.
device.mobile.tesco.com - [07/Feb/2019:23:07:07 +0000] "GET /ota/rel.android-build.20150917.142239 HTTP/1.1" 404 341 "-" "Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 5.1; Hudl 2 HTF8A4 Build/LMY47I)"
device.mobile.tesco.com - [07/Feb/2019:23:07:07 +0000] "GET /config/ota-client/ HTTP/1.1" 404 341 "-" "Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 5.1; Hudl 2 HTF8A4 Build/LMY47I)"

P.S. no idea what the config request is for but it doesn't seam to stop the setup.

Now I need to solve it on the hudl 1, for an autistic child who is an attachment to the hudl 1, but theirs broke, the parent got a second hand one found it would not setup.  We offered ours for free not knowing about the issue I reset it as well.

Edited by chrisevilgenius

Guest Emphatic Groan
10 hours ago, chrisevilgenius said:

Okay I have a solution (no rooting required) for the hudl 2 that started as my attempt on the hudl 1 (can get the CA installed).
I'm not going to be able to write all the steps up here, but the general concept is a "Man in the Middle" attack.
Requirements
BIND 9 (DNS server for you network with RPZ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_policy_zone)
lighttpd (or any other web server)
openssl
and SD card
First create a root CA https://aboutssl.org/how-to-create-and-import-self-signed-certificate-to-android-device/
Next create a web cert signed with the CA pem and key file above (skip creating the CA) https://gist.github.com/fntlnz/cf14feb5a46b2eda428e000157447309
The important bit is the CN but have fun "C=GB/ST=Hertfordshire/L=Cheshunt/O=Tesco PLC/OU=Tesco.com/CN=device.mobile.tesco.com"
Put the CA created int he first step onto the SD card and put the SD card into the device.
Use the wifi keyboard trick to get into setting can go into security.
Change the screen lock setting to a PIN, Pattern, etc (Required to install the cert only)
Then still in security Install form SD card (VPN and app)
Sorry I can real document this bit I'll just have to assume you can manage your network at this level.
Add a CNAME to the RPZ zone for device.mobile.tesco.com to the server you are going to use for the web server.
Configure the webserver to return the json below for any request to https://device.mobile.tesco.com/ota/ or below i.e. https://device.mobile.tesco.com/ota/rel.android-build.20150917.142239
{"status":"OK", "update": null}

Now setup you hudl 2 it will call home to your server and you're in.
device.mobile.tesco.com - [07/Feb/2019:23:07:07 +0000] "GET /ota/rel.android-build.20150917.142239 HTTP/1.1" 404 341 "-" "Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 5.1; Hudl 2 HTF8A4 Build/LMY47I)"
device.mobile.tesco.com - [07/Feb/2019:23:07:07 +0000] "GET /config/ota-client/ HTTP/1.1" 404 341 "-" "Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 5.1; Hudl 2 HTF8A4 Build/LMY47I)"

P.S. no idea what the config request is for but it doesn't seam to stop the setup.

Now I need to solve it on the hudl 1, for an autistic child who is an attachment to the hudl 1, but theirs broke, the parent got a second hand one found it would not setup.  We offered ours for free not knowing about the issue I reset it as well.

amazing, thanks very much. A bit beyond me at the moment but great to know there is a solution. Can you update from the Tescos server once you're past the setup ping?

Guest chrisevilgenius

Once setup you can revert to talking to the Tesco server by dropping the DNS RPZ, but as it is down it is not going to do anything, but the hudl.ota app can be manually trigger to pull updates if there are going to be any. The two devices I have one is on firmware with a date of 2015 09 17 and the other is 2015 11 02 so I doubt there is anything much newer.

However I suspect you are talking about app updates and those mostly come from the google play store that will work anyway, any Tesco apps may or may not be in the google store so might not work but then do you use them.

I did my second hudl 2 tonight it didn't play ball initial but then oddly the first one let me through even those the web server returned 404 (Not Found), I ended up using debug mode and pulling the apps and framework to see what the changes in the apps was over the hudl 1 turns out nothing really.
Anyway this was the actual requests it makes:
"GET /ota/rel.android-build.20151102.170607 HTTP/1.1" 200 32 "-" "Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; Hudl 2 HTF8A4 Build/KOT49H)"
"GET /appupdater HTTP/1.1" 404 341 "-" "-"
"GET /config/ota-client/ HTTP/1.1" 404 341 "-" "Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; Hudl 2 HTF8A4 Build/KOT49H)"
"GET /hudl_connection/hudl_connection HTTP/1.1" 404 341 "-" "Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; Hudl 2 Build/KOT49H)"
"GET /config/device-monitoring HTTP/1.1" 404 341 "-" "Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; Hudl 2 Build/KOT49H)"

The only one that it cares about is the first one, the second it tries a number of times before it gives up suspect that is another app I've not looked at, the next reading the app code is setting the update check frequency, and has a fall back to once a day so not an issue.  As for the other two again these are in another app not looked at.

You could probably do it all with a raspberry pi and this as a starting point https://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-wifi-router/

Just wanted to add my thanks to chrievilgenius for the post above. It's too technical for me, plus I have a hudl 1.  It's excellent that there is a solution. 

I've got a lot on right now, but I will follow up next week with with Lewis Gorrie because I have not had any further replies from him. I'd like to believe he's hanging on for some news about the situation before replying to me, but I doubt very much this is the case. 

I noticed how many hudls are for sale on eBay, especially ones showing the wifi sign in screen after a factory reset. Imagine you're the seller and don't know the situation, or the buyer getting something that looks good, but is useless. A lot of trouble stored up there. 

16 hours ago, BuddyB said:

Just wanted to add my thanks to chrievilgenius for the post above. It's too technical for me, plus I have a hudl 1.  It's excellent that there is a solution. 

I've got a lot on right now, but I will follow up next week with with Lewis Gorrie because I have not had any further replies from him. I'd like to believe he's hanging on for some news about the situation before replying to me, but I doubt very much this is the case. 

I noticed how many hudls are for sale on eBay, especially ones showing the wifi sign in screen after a factory reset. Imagine you're the seller and don't know the situation, or the buyer getting something that looks good, but is useless. A lot of trouble stored up there. 

Good, I think we do need to keep the pressure up. Back when I asked you for Dave Lewis' email I wrote to him to make sure he knows that this issue affects ALL huld1s and about 1/3 - 1/2 of hudl2s - those that haven't been updated to Lollipop. I also pointed out that there is still a buoyant second-hand market for both types of hudls on eBay, and how many are already being sold as faulty due to this issue. And I also pointed out that AN AWFUL LOT MORE are being sold as fully working because the seller hasn't thought to try out reconnecting their hudl after they've factory reset it in preparation for sale, and all the buyers of these hudls are going to end up returning them as faulty... However, I only ever received the automated acknowledgement of receipt but did not (yet?) get a personal reply from his assistant Lewis Gorrie...

I've also contacted a lot of sellers of hudls running KitKat on eBay - I buy broken hudls, fix them up, and resell them so I keep an eye on eBay several times daily - to make them aware of the issue so that they can decide whether to go ahead with the sale or wait for a potential resolution... I can't keep up with them all though so not managing to contact everyone. ?

Guest chrisevilgenius

It should be as simple as restarting the site if their technical people know what they are doing, but the way these thing go they might not have anybody around that can do it, although as it seams like it all started when the azure location went down MS might be able to assist is the restart. 

The hudl 1 fix I have got requires rooting it, installing the CA into they system CAs via the adb shell and editing a config file for the ota, the appupdater response required is:
{"mandatory": false,"apps":[]}
The appupdater  was required to get the hudl 1 working, this is not a simple solution.
Edit the file /data/user/0/hudl.ota/shared_prefs/OTA_CLIENT.xml replace the value of the line <string name="last_known_version_number">20140424.153851</string> i.e. change it to <string name="last_known_version_number">20140424.153850</string>  rather oddly the app the check for the first update skips the update check.
I copied the file off the device editied with notepad++ the copied it back, keeping a backup locally.
Use the details here 
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44942851/install-user-certificate-via-adb to install the CA to allow the appupdater to work, no idea why I could install a user CA beyond the fact is was not setup.
Once setup you need to delete the CA out of the system store as you can imagine it is massive security risk as your system will trust any site using a certificate signed with it, the real ones are heavily protected.

Sorry my solution is a little technical and I'm not great at writing it up, I've been running BIND on my home network for years so tweaking it was trivial, and installing a basic web server and configuring it are again simple enough but I can't tell you to run "emerge lighttpd" as unless you run gentoo it's not going to do much.

Guest Mx_woolf

Hey guys, new here, was given a hudl 2 today and foolishly (in hindsight) factory reset it, cannot connect to any wifi at all here, so frustrating and this seems to be the only place on the entire web that people are trying to fix it! Hopefully someone will find a fix! As for the previous post it's also way to complex for me to try otherwise I'd love to :(

Guest Emphatic Groan
4 hours ago, Mx_woolf said:

Hey guys, new here, was given a hudl 2 today and foolishly (in hindsight) factory reset it, cannot connect to any wifi at all here, so frustrating and this seems to be the only place on the entire web that people are trying to fix it! Hopefully someone will find a fix! As for the previous post it's also way to complex for me to try otherwise I'd love to ?

Get in touch with tescos: https://twitter.com/tescomobile

and email the CEO: [email protected]

Hello again guys,

Eventually had a reply from my email to the CEO and there's some good news to be taken from it:

Hello Anna

Thank you very much for your email to Mr Lewis. I've been asked to get back to you.

We are certainly aware of the issue with the Hudl servers and our IT team are still looking into it. I am informed by our technical team that we've sent out text messages and emails to affected Tesco customers, letting them know that we're still investigating.

This of course won't extend to those who have purchased the devices second hand however, this is a priority and the right people are both aware and investigating it.

I'm sorry I can't give you more concrete details on an outcome however, I hope you feel reassured by the attention we're giving this.

Kind regards

Ross Golden

The good news being the mention of text messages and emails being sent to affected customers - I take this to mean they've sent either a text or email to anyone who bought a new hudl from them, for whom they have contact details. I did, out of the blue, receive a text message from Tesco last week, apologising for the problem I may be having with my hudl and saying they're working to solve it asap. I did wonder about that text message since I was pretty sure that I hadn't given them my mobile number in any of my communications with tech support over this issue. But back at Xmas 2014 I did buy two new hudl2s online and my Tesco account does have my mobile number attached. So if they've taken the step to contact all buyers of hudls for whom they have contact details then to me that shows that they are now fully aware of the magnitude of this issue. Which is something. Whether they get it sorted is something else... But fingers crossed!

Guest Emphatic Groan

Just had this through from Texo Customer Servies, seems promising:

'We have now identified the problem and we’re currently attempting to fix the complex issue. I can’t give you an exact timescale just now, but I will be back in touch with a further update sometime next week.

I know this is frustrating and I really appreciate your continued patience.

Best wishes

Lewis Gorrie
Customer Service Executive to the Board'

Edited by Emphatic Groan

My dad gave me his Hudl 2 this week as it was getting slow so I factory reset it and I've ran into this WiFi problem when trying to set it up glad I'm not the only one and that they seem to be trying to fix it I was about to bin it

Reply from Lewis Gorrie

"Hello Mrs Broadley

I'm sorry that I've not been back in touch until now. 

We have now identified the problem and we’re currently attempting to fix the complex issue. I can’t give you an exact timescale just now, but I will be back in touch with a further update sometime next week. 

I know this is frustrating and I really appreciate your continued patience. 

Best wishes

Lewis Gorrie

Customer Service Executive to the Board"

As usual the eternal optimist in me is still hopeful! 

Edited by BuddyB
Remove excess white space

Guest Emphatic Groan

Just switched on my Hudl 2 and found it went past the initial internet check and on to link to my google account. yay. Unfortunately, after google sign in the device checks for updates again, can't find them and is then stuck in a loop between check wifi and try again. No way to use the keyboard trick at this point, nothing to do but switch off or master reset!

Still, seems promising :)

Guest Sdroidz

email just in:

Thank you for bearing with us while we work on the issue with our Hudl server. I’m not in a position to give you a final response today, but we are continuing to make progress and I hope to have better news for you by the middle of next week.

We really appreciate your continued patience.

Best wishes

Lewis Gorrie

Great, thanks for that Emphatic Groan - I hadn't tried to connect in a couple of days so hadn't noticed this encouraging progress. It does look though like they're just setting up a "dummy handshake" server so that you can get through the set-up process - which does render hudls usable again and which is therefore a massive positive - however I do hope the final solution will also offer the Lollipop download for hudl2s...! Fingers crossed.

Latest email received today - 

Hello Alison

I hope you're beginning to feel better now. 

Thank you for bearing with us while we work on the issue with our Hudl server. I’m not in a position to give you a final response today, but we are continuing to make progress and I hope to have better news for you by the middle of next week.

We really appreciate your continued patience.

Best wishes

Lewis Gorrie

Guest Pwiggler

Hi all

I've just tried my Huld v1 with the same problem.  Mine too gets past the wifi setup screen now but is stuck on the Checking for updates and I can't get past it.

So ... as you said .. nearly there.

Cheers

Paul

Guest Baldi80

Just signed up here to reply, follow this thread an then just emailed [email protected].

Really annoyed at all of this! Truly love the Hudl and it beggars belief that this may be the fate of all the Hudls out there still serving their purpose when the unsuspecting user decides to do something as simple, standard and usually harmless as a factory reset! It's end cannot be this way! Not with a bang but a whimper.

Dread to think how many people may have abandoned all hope for their beloved Hudl without researching and understanding the implications that this seems to be a problem born of shortsighted legacy support from Tesco

This could be pretty hard hitting to customer confidence in Tesco as a company if they fail to find an appropriate remedy and if many more people become aware of the issue.

Hope this is sorted soon.

My Tesco email below... :

Dear sir/madam,

I write to you very frustrated having just spent the last few hours trying to set up one of our 3 Hudl 1 tablets, all bought new through Tesco, having done a factory reset.

It seems that when going through the initial setup process for a new user the tablet essentially "gets stuck" at the stage of seeking any new updates online. The process fails every time. There is no option to skip or bypass this step.

It appears that your tech support team is well aware of this problem as I have had to spend my evening trying to Google for a solution and finding this page... https://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/382204-hudl-2-connects-to-wifi-but-tesco-update-server-not-switched-on/

I realise this is an older product and assumed to be well out of warranty, but three of these were bought from you in the good faith that they would operate normally until such time they will eventually perish from hardware failure and become economically unviable to repair.

This has not happened, that is it is not hardware failure here. The tablet was working this morning, just cluttered with apps not suitable for our households new user. So performing the standard practice of a factory reset has essentially (at least currently) rendered this device useless until the problem is resolved at the server side. This has happened without any warning, workaround or advice being offered based on what appears to be a lack of foresight to legacy support and future proofing.

The web forum mentioned above stated that customers have been contacted regarding this issue but I have no trace of any message ( and am with Tesco mobile).

Please advise asap on current progress of a fix or workaround for this issue.

Yours faithfully,