Hudl 2 connects to wifi but Tesco update server not switched on

Guest Emphatic Groan

Guest Emphatic Groan

Just received a 2nd hand Hudl 2 - performed a factory reset as a first step, now I can't proceed through the initial setup. It connects via wifi fine, but then cannot find the internet connection to proceed. If I access chrome through the keyboard settings, I can verify that it is in fact connected to the internet, it's just the tesco initial setup wizard that thinks internet not present. Tried multiple networks, multiple factor resets, hard resets, etc. etc.

Any advice would be great - can I try reflashing the original tesco firmward, or custom firmware or somthing? Would prefer not to but appears maybe the only route back from useless paperweight status...

EDIT: I think I have got to the bottom of it - the tesco server is down/switched off (https://device.mobile.tesco.com)

The device can access the internet, use chrome, etc., using the google keyboard servicdes workaround, but hudl can't be updated from within settings and all the hudl legal information links on the about tablet page are dead (non Tesco links work fine).

So Hudl 2s which are factory reset are now bricked unless Tesco turn the server back on or they are rooted...

Infuriating...

Edited by Emphatic Groan
Found problem, Tesco update servers switched off

I have the same problem and would appreciate any advice to try and resolve it. 

Root tablet and refllash ROM ? Don' have a lot of experience with Android.

grocer

I don't know what my build is -it was one of the early Hudl 1's. I only use it as an E-book reader and as most of the apps. are not used  and as their number had increased over the years,I thought it was time for a spring clean so did a factory reset  DOAH !  Now I cannot get past the wi-fi screen because there is no active server it seems. Not well up in these matters but wondered if it possible to replace the Rom  . I only need a basic system for my reader..

grocer

Guest Gregory891

I have a brand new out of the box Hudl 2 given to me by a friend who bought in the UK some 3 years ago (he never used it).  I have a similar problem.  My device will see wif networks, I can enter the password but it fails to connect.  I've tried this on my home, a friend's one and two cell phone "wifi" networks with the same result.  I've rebooted / reset the device, which is redundant for a brand new unit, just in case.  Same result.  ANY suggestions how to set it up, possibly to update buggy software, so that it works?

Guest Emphatic Groan

As far as I can work out, at some point between christmas and new year, Tescos update server went offline - I guess at the new year. In the initial setup, after connecting to whatever network, the Hudl attempts to contact the tescos server. When that connection times out, it reports no internet and sticke you back to the setup screen.

Very annoying.

You can sort of get access to the device, in a quite useless sense, though you can at least verify it's working, by this method:

1) On the Wifi setup screen, attempt to connect and wait for connection to timeout.

2) Reboot the Hudl 2 (power off completely and restart).

3) When you get back to the setup screen do not press the right arrow to attempt to continue setup.

4) Tap Other network, and then long press the comma button on the keyboard (microphone on some other firmwares they shipped with I think). This brings up the keyboard settings.

5) Select Google Keyboard settings and scroll down to About google keyboard.

6) Select open source licenses, then highlight any bit of text and choose 'web search'.

7) You should be able to browse the internet, you can also access the Hudl 2 settings if you start typing settings and select the settings cog. Check your firmware version in about tablet, and you can enable developer options and allow usb debugging etc. So if you happen to have one of the early versions of firmware you might be able to root the device and install new firmware. I have not had time to look deeplt into whether this is possible with the firmware I have, doesn't seem straightforward though.

Of course, it might be possible to get in touch with Tescos and at least confirm they deliberately shut down the server - I guess something might not have been renewed at 12:00 01/01/2019 and they did not intend to brick everything - AFAIK this affects all Hudl and Hudl 2 so presumably quite a few people potentially affected! I can't find a contact email or form which looks as if it will go to anyone useful though.

Guest Bill_Door

I've just found this thread via google and signed-up as I have a similar experience.

Tesco mobile can be messaged via their Twitter page: https://twitter.com/tescomobile

My Mother's Hudl was a bit messy with too many apps and I did a factory reset for her, and hit this same brick wall. 

Perhaps they coded the setup wizard to ping Tesco servers instead of something generic, which was very short-sighted if so.  Anyway same problem, can connect to WiFi but it will not complete.  I found an original support page, which seems to confirm this.  In the "Perform a factory reset" section has the following message:

Please note: If you factory reset the device while the Hudl services are down, the device will stay on a loading screen until the services are back online.

https://techsupport.tesco.com/retailcustomer/hudl/hudl28-inch/index.html#l=trcust&lHsim=trcust&d=hudl/hudl2%208-inch&s=LCX_Root&loc=tescoretail

So it does seem that by switching off these servers, Tesco has officially killed the Hudl 2. 

There is a rooting process, but it's quite involved and not worth the time for me. 
https://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375250-easiest-way-to-root-hudl-2-running-latest-updatesoftware/

I too could not find a relevant contact for Tesco so tried phoning their Tech. Support (surprisingly Hudl is still listed on the products supported page).I was put through to the Hudl team but the chap there was not very helpful - he seemed to think that the old server had bee dis-continued.IAfter looking through some old forum posts I tried flashing my Hudl with a custom Rom   (    TabbieDroid v1.5 download (includes update fixes) - http://www.mediafire.com/?bnjtbcda415kuqo ) 

The tablet started up and displayed a message "Android optimising apps 0-39 ,but when this completed it continued with the start up screen until it stalled at the wi-fi page ,as before. It does seem that this internet connection is essential and it is poor practice by Tesco if they are have now shut it down.I know the Hudl is an old model but it was very successful in it's day and there must be quite a few still in use.I only used mine as an e-book reader but it was a useful item and a handy reserve for web browsing etc. Let us hope that Tesco  re-instate the server after your contacts.

Guest Bill_Door

@Emphatic Groan - Same here, they engaged pretty much straight away.  They asked for screenshots, so I did that and gave them a load of technical details, and they said they'd pass it to the technical team.

Let's hope it goes somewhere positive  ?

To any others experiencing the same problem, it won't hurt to add your voice by contacting Tesco mobile via their Twitter page: https://twitter.com/tescomobile

Edited by Bill_Door

Guest gdeacon

This may not help everyone,but I am trying as manybthings as I can think of to update my hurl 2 for my daughter. I am on an older version of android I think, because I can go through the rooting process. However I cannot run any apps. It still boots to the start update screen.

I have a thought. If I use adb I can see, the init.rc files on the local storage, but they are protected, so I cannot replace them. My theory is that this would allow me to bypass the update screen on boot. Looking through setup, all the system apps appear to be in place and running. 

My thought is that if I can add init files to the zip file used in the rooting process, then I can bypass the start screen at boot time.

Can anyone post the contents of the init files for the default hudl 2 after rooting.

Cheers

Hi,

Not sure if I have the same issue having done a reset on Hudl2, or is mine possibly just a fault? The error I get when starting up after full reset using the setup wizard is:

"Your Hudl is connecting to the wifi", then "Couldn't access internet: An internet connection is needed to setup your hudl. Please check your Wi-Fi settings or connect to a different network."

However my router think the device is attached and I know through other devices that I do have internet to the outside world. Is this what everyone else is getting?

Matt.

Guest gdeacon
7 hours ago, MJE111 said:

Hi,

Not sure if I have the same issue having done a reset on Hudl2, or is mine possibly just a fault? The error I get when starting up after full reset using the setup wizard is:

"Your Hudl is connecting to the wifi", then "Couldn't access internet: An internet connection is needed to setup your hudl. Please check your Wi-Fi settings or connect to a different network."

However my router think the device is attached and I know through other devices that I do have internet to the outside world. Is this what everyone else is getting?

Matt.

YOu do have the same problem. It says it cannot get to the internet, but, what it is actually saying is that it cannot get to the Tesco update server. so it is stuck.

See Istan VAgo's post at https://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375607-factory-resetted-hudl2-stuck-at-select-wi-fi-but-wi-fi-is-off/ 

This at least allows you to get to the web and the settings.

Guest Digital_kid

Wonder if a custom rom could be made that deletes the check for the tesco server. I did ring Tesco they said they are getting load nof calls about this and 2nd line are familiar. The tablets are made by Wilstrom Corporation, wonder if they can provide a firmware with no branding/check? Pain in the neck this, flashing the unbranded rom from here doesnt work either.

Edited by Digital_kid

Guest Areyouhavingcoffee

If Wistron Corporation would be able to provide anything for the users of this device that would be helpful. It is monstrous that everyone who tries to do a factory reset, the very last resort to make the device usable again, instead ends up with a bricked device. This is not very good for the reputation for any of the companies responsible.....

Hi all, just read all the comments above and now adding my tuppence worth... No solution though, sorry, just some other observations that I've made during my own investigations into the issue:

- This problem only happens with hudls running Android 4.4.2 KitKat.

- The problem didn't start on 1/1/19, I was still updating hudl2s from Kitkat to 5.1 Lollipop (which is the first thing you must do when you start up a factory reset hudl2 that still runs KitKat) on Thursday 10/1 but then when I came to do it on Friday 11/1 it was no longer possible - this internet connection error comes up. 

- As some of you have also found out, I too tried using a non-factory reset hudl2 and it accesses the internet just fine, e.g. google, chrome etc, but if you try to download Lollipop (Settings, About hudl) you get the error, and also if you click on any of the Tesco services under About hudl, so yes the problem will have something to do with Tesco servers.

- All factory reset hudl1s are bricked due to this since they all run KitKat and have never had the option to update to a later version.

- All hudl2s that have been updated to 5.1 Lollipop are fine, even after a factory reset since it doesn't roll back the operating system, just the data.

I too raised a case with Tesco a couple of weeks ago when I found this out, and sent them lots of photographic evidence which they asked for. They have been in touch via email and assure me that they're working on it. Hopefully they can re-enable services, surely they did not INTEND to brick ALL hudl1s and a third of hudl2s?! I fix hudls in my spare time and at any one time I have about a couple of hundred hudls2 here with broken screens (my supply of working motherboards) and the general proportion of Lollipop to Kitkat is about 2:1. But even though that's a majority of hudls that are fine, this problem still means that I'm sitting on an awful lot of bricked hudls, which I've paid good money for... ? So like all of you I'm putting pressure on them to get this sorted asap!

Guest Sdroidz

Hudl 1 working fine 2 weeks ago, albeit with a wobbly USB so I replaced the microusb socket and thought I'd complete the refresh by doing a factory reset. Big mistake huh?! 

It's never been rooted or had any other firmware. I was going to try flash another but then read that you still have the same issue. One guy had tried 3 firmwares all with the same WiFi wizard nonsense. I contacted Tesco and they said they were investigating, they then came back and said it's out of warranty so could not help. I had included links to other forum threads discussing this issue and told them they have condemned lots of useful devices, some being resold on Ebay, to land fill. I also said it should be reported to a BBC consumer protection show. I do not expect Tesco to help. 

Has anyone tried wireshark to determine what the hudl wants? If it is just pinging a tesco server then it maybe possible to frig a local dns entry to simulate the missing service. If I get chance I maybe up for this challenge. It could be a solution for the more technical hudl owners. 

Annoying. 

Guest Bill_Door
On 1/27/2019 at 11:09 PM, Sdroidz said:

Has anyone tried wireshark to determine what the hudl wants? If it is just pinging a tesco server then it maybe possible to frig a local dns entry to simulate the missing service.

I was thinking this too.  If we can determine which web address or IP address the hudl is trying to contact, we could spoof that address on a router and fool it into thinking the server still exists.

I can't run wireshark on my router unfortunately, so I'd need to try and set up a temporary hotspot on a laptop, connect the hudl to the laptop and use wireshark to sniff the traffic.
I don't have the free time to do this I'm afraid.

Tesco have been responsive via twitter.  I prompted  today and they said they are still waiting for some more information (presumably from technical team).

Edited by Bill_Door

I cannot use the phone, so I sent 2 emails about this to Tesco this week. The first one was to customer service and was not surprised to receive this kind of reply - 

I'm really sorry but we still have no update of when this will be fixed at the moment. Can you please let me know what fault you had that caused you to do the factory reset? I have been asked to pass this information on so that we can prevent something like this happening again. 

I sent a swingeing reply explaining my device was not faulty, I just wanted to clear out all my old files and apps, use the tablet to listen to audiobooks and I don't even need the internet. I added Tesco has been say this to owners since 2017, so was it just waiting for them to give up and bin the devices?

I also emailed the Tesco CEO this week and I've had a reply from the Customer Service Executive to the Board

Thank you for letting us know about the problems you’re having with your Hudl. I still use mine, for exactly the type of activities you mention, so I completely understand how popular these still are. I’m sorry you’re having problems resetting yours, and that you found it difficult to contact our team. 

It’s not a query that I can answer myself, so I’ve asked one of my colleagues in our technical support team for some advice. I’ll be back in touch as soon as I receive their response. 

Best wishes

Lewis Gorrie

Customer Service Executive to the Board

That sounds more helpful, so I will let you know how it goes. 

5 hours ago, BuddyB said:

I cannot use the phone, so I sent 2 emails about this to Tesco this week. The first one was to customer service and was not surprised to receive this kind of reply - 

I'm really sorry but we still have no update of when this will be fixed at the moment. Can you please let me know what fault you had that caused you to do the factory reset? I have been asked to pass this information on so that we can prevent something like this happening again. 

I sent a swingeing reply explaining my device was not faulty, I just wanted to clear out all my old files and apps, use the tablet to listen to audiobooks and I don't even need the internet. I added Tesco has been say this to owners since 2017, so was it just waiting for them to give up and bin the devices?

I also emailed the Tesco CEO this week and I've had a reply from the Customer Service Executive to the Board

Thank you for letting us know about the problems you’re having with your Hudl. I still use mine, for exactly the type of activities you mention, so I completely understand how popular these still are. I’m sorry you’re having problems resetting yours, and that you found it difficult to contact our team. 

It’s not a query that I can answer myself, so I’ve asked one of my colleagues in our technical support team for some advice. I’ll be back in touch as soon as I receive their response. 

Best wishes

Lewis Gorrie

Customer Service Executive to the Board

That sounds more helpful, so I will let you know how it goes. 

Superb, thanks for that! Any chance you could let me know the email addresses you sent your two emails to as I would like to contact them too!

The CEO is Dave Lewis and I sent the email to [email protected]. I got an acknowledgement the next day and the day after that I got the reply from Lewis Gorrie. This is the first time I've contacted the CEO of a company and I knew he wouldn't personally reply, but thought I'd give it a go (and it made me feel like I was doing something!). 

The other email I sent to [email protected], but the reply was from [email protected]. In my email I explained that I was sending the email to customer service because the only way given on the website to contact technical support was by phone and I can't use the phone. 

TBH I don't expect a positive result from my emails, but I wanted to add my details to the long list of hudl owners that Tesco Technical Support must have by now. 

Guest Emphatic Groan

It seems crazy that they can't give any information at all - no indication of whether or not they're working on the problem really. It can't be anything that complicated surely...