Imate sp3i repair - sbe-ltd.co.uk

Guest fluffcat1

Guest fluffcat1

Has anyone used imate's UK repair agent SBE before? Sent an sp3i to them over two weeks ago with a dodgy joystick, their online tracking doesn't work with my IMEI and their number to call for repair updates is not in use... the main number never gets answered, I just get the annoying IVR 'transferring to an attendent' message after 8 rings, over and over... :?:

I sent it special delivery so at least I'm covered if it's gone missing :shock:

Phone seriel confirmed as under warranty via htceurope.com but no options to submit for repair - have other people used SBE or do their imates never break? :o

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1

Guest fluffcat1
Has anyone used imate's UK repair agent SBE before? Sent an sp3i to them over two weeks ago with a dodgy joystick, their online tracking doesn't work with my IMEI and their number to call for repair updates is not in use... the main number never gets answered, I just get the annoying IVR 'transferring to an attendent' message after 8 rings, over and over... :?:

Richard

Finally spoke to someone who confirmed they'd received it, it was under warranty, but that they were waiting for parts. Not ver good for the sole UK repair agent of a phone that has a known issue with the joystick...

Richard

Guest fluffcat1
Finally spoke to someone who confirmed they'd received it, it was under warranty, but that they were waiting for parts. Not ver good for the sole UK repair agent of a phone that has a known issue with the joystick...

Richard

received back today. Not very impressed! Replaced the joystick and keypad circuit assembly apparently, but didn't replace the keys themselves despite my asking and offering to pay. Also didn't replace the warranty seal which is a bit bizarre but at least it means I can go in and have a nosey and possibly replace if I can get spares wihtout affecting my remaining warranty.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fluffcat1
Hey fluffcat1, don't suppose you've got a contact email address for them have you?  My left soft-key's just gone on the blink...

No problem.

web site

Tel: 01233 619.320

Fax: 01233 638.547

[email protected]

address: Beaver Industrial Estate

Ashford

Kent

TN23 7SH

bear in mind: they struggle to answer the phone

they don't carry stock of spares

they don't update the tracking on their website

they don't do cosmetic refurbs

they don't do out of warranty repairs

they won't repair other makes even though the same phone (qtek)

and finally, the don't put a new warranty sticker on the phone!!!

but they WILL take a printout of HTC's web page as proof of warranty if you've lost your invoice, so not all bad...but I can't wholeheartedly recommend them due to the above. But hey, what choice do you have? :roll:

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1

Guest radiator

Thanks for that...

Bit of a shame that they sound so ****, but like you said, what else can I do?

Doing it myself would:

a. Void my warranty

b. Cost money (sourcing parts)

c. Cost money (if I mess it up)

:roll:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest fluffcat1
Hey fluffcat1, I seem to have misplaced my receipt...what's this "printout of HTC web page" you speak of?

Hello,

go to www.htceurope.com, click on 'case booking' or similar, type in the ESN from underneath the battery, when the screen comes up with 'under warranty' ticked - print that out.

P.S Take lots of photos of the condition of the phone and check it carefully when you get it back - I have only just noticed ( too many phones, not enough attention paid to each one..) that the aeriel cover has been cracked where they have pulled it off for the repair :evil:

Richard

Guest radiator
Hello,

go to www.htceurope.com, click on 'case booking' or similar, type in the ESN from underneath the battery, when the screen comes up with 'under warranty' ticked - print that out.

P.S Take lots of photos of the condition of the phone and check it carefully when you get it back - I have only just noticed ( too many phones, not enough attention paid to each one..) that the aeriel cover has been cracked where they have pulled it off for the repair  :evil:

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that.

Bit of a bugger about the cracked case...are they actually an official i-Mate repair center? If so, I'd ring 'em up and complain!

Guest fluffcat1
Thanks for that.

Bit of a bugger about the cracked case...are they actually an official i-Mate repair center?  If so, I'd ring 'em up and complain!

Too late - it was 6 weeks ago and I should have spotted it...

'but it left us in perfect condition sir, you must have dropped it' etc etc...

They're the only imate repair agent in the UK :-(

Richard

• 1 month later...
Guest radiator

Well, I got my SP3i back today...they've apparently replaced the keypad/joystick, but the left softkey is still a bit iffy (nowhere near as bad as it was, but still needs a slightly harder press than the right softkey).

They have cleared the dust out from underneath the screen though :-)

Time to update the ROM & stick it on eBay me thinks...

Guest fluffcat1
Well, I got my SP3i back today...they've apparently replaced the keypad/joystick, but the left softkey is still a bit iffy (nowhere near as bad as it was, but still needs a slightly harder press than the right softkey).

They have cleared the dust out from underneath the screen though :-)

Time to update the ROM & stick it on eBay me thinks...

They should have done that for you - according to my jobsheet they'd updated mine...yeah, right!

The softkey prob is now possibly due to the keypad frame not being screwed fully in or loose. It sits in a sub chassis of the front cover, so you can't really get easy access tot he keypad like you can with typhoon. If like my phone they didn't replace your warranty seal open it up and have a look. From memory the keypad assembly in a feeler is a bit weirdly put together - you have to prise the 3 button frames out before you can access the keypad but it may be worth opening to see if anything is ammiss with the keypad sub chassis. Can provide pics if needed :-)

Richard

Does anyone know how to dismantle the sp3i a couple of my buttons only work when pressed several times or hard... wondering if it's maybe just dust in there and if I can get in and have a look... saw that there are instructions for c500 wondering if it's the same process..??

Guest fluffcat1
Does anyone know how to dismantle the sp3i a couple of my buttons only work when pressed several times or hard... wondering if it's maybe just dust in there and if I can get in and have a look... saw that there are instructions for c500 wondering if it's the same process..??

Are you sure there is no warranty remaining for your phone? It's very awkward to get the keypad out compared to typhoon, the keypad sits in a sub chassis of the fascia above the mainboard so you have to take the fascia off the board, then try to lever the middle two of the four silver strips going accross between the keys up from the frame, then the two metal retaining lugs at the bottom. I don't have an sp3i in bits to do pictures for you and as it's so awkward I don't want to take mine apart again, sorry :roll:

Richard