MAPI Path Switcher 1.0- change location of cemail.vol

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK...READ CAREFULLY THE HELP FILE

What is it all about:

Normally in Smartphone2002 devices, MAPI keys "AttachPath", "DbPath", "PropertyPath" have string values pointing to IPSM as the target path (view HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftMAPI using PHM Registry Editor). This means that the SMS database (cemail.vol) is stored by default in the phone's local memory, the IPSM. As your SMS gets piled up, the size of "cemail.vol" gets bigger and in return, the phone's IPSM space is used up. It would be practical enough for power users of SMStext messages to backup the database once in a while to save IPSM space.

Backup of SMS database by:

1. Cut-paste of the "cemail.vol" from phone's IPSM to storage card.

2. Renaming of "cemail.vol".

Procedure number 1 involves switching of default MAPI location from IPSM to Storage Card using PHM Registry Editor... restart phone...and since MAPI location was already changed, you may now cut cemail.vol and the contents of the MAPI folder from IPSM then paste somewhere in your PC's harddrive. Once back upd, you can revert to the default settings by using PHM RegEdit again, enter/change manually the location of the 3 MAPI keys from Storage Card to IPSM then restart...a very tidious job.

This is where MAPI PATH SWITCHER comes in handy. Its a registry tweak. It saves you time changing/editing the keys. It will automatically change the location to either the IPSM or Storage Card. You dont have to worry about wrong keys entered, the tweak will do it all for you, the right and easy way! I have included a link to the app by rcraswell: QuickReset to facilitate ease in the process of "cemail.vol" backup and thus MAPI path/location switching. All you have to do is click the appropriate buttons then cut-paste to PC. Backup of database have never been this easy!

Now, why bother backup "cemail.vol" ? ... 'coz its the database that you will backup, not just the SMS messages in a folder. Info like sender's name, number, time, the contents of the SMS messages in all folders.. etc are stored in "cemail.vol"

Notes:

Assuming you have never applied palomaa's trick before and you want to shift MAPI path to Storage Card, all you have to do is go to Programs > GPC folder click Storage Card (entry 4), install the tweak then finally click on Restart Phone (entry 3) in the folder. Easy!

Walkthroughs:

You will see 4 links inside "GPC'" folder.

1. Click on _Read Me First to view documentation: the HELP files.

2. Click on IPSM to change the values of AttachPath, DbPath and PropertyPath of HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftMAPI from Storage Card to IPSM. Then click OK until installation is finished.

3. Click on Storage to change the values of AttachPath, DbPath and PropertyPath of HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftMAPI from IPSM to Storage Card. Then click OK until installation is finished.

4. Click on Restart Phone to restart the phone after paths were modified. Or you may access the QuickList button of your phone to manually turn off then power on your device. ('coz others have problems with QuickReset)

iconsinside.jpg

Remember that you have to trick the phone in order to backup "cemail.vol" by switching/changing paths or target location. You can't cut-paste/backup if the location was not changed and without a restart.

Switch Path->Restart->Backup, that's the sequence. Let MAPI Path Switcher help you.

Important

Download "Installer.zip" first then "Updates.zip" There are 2 cab files inside Updates.zip. Highlight the cab files then Right click-> Properties, ONLY "Read-only" box should have a check mark...Remember that .cab will not auto-erase after you execute it if its attributes are set to "Read-only'. :wink:

important.gif

PM or e-mail me if you have queries. :)

Installer.zip

Updates.zip

Guest awarner [MVP]

Nice idea and guide but use this for back up only.

If you keep the cemail.vol location on the card and then remove your card you will not be able to revieve any SMS messages, also on reinserting the card the cemail.vol may stop working if the reg flags it up as SD being incorrect.

EDIT if you remove the storage card you would not be able to open the Inbox so you could not send sms either.

Also if the battery level drops below 10% the phone stops reading the card,

if this happens any messages you recieve will be lost forever

Finaly apps like IA Spacemaker and SMS tools will stop working as they

are hard coded to look in the IPSM for the cemail.vol directory.

and apparently IA caller ID stops working as well.

Oh and SMS counter should stop working as well.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

yup :wink: i use this to backup cemail.vol to PC.

my cemail.vol stays in the Storage Card and everytime i want to make a backup of it, i change the path first to IPSM, restart, cut-paste the db then revert location to storage.

no problem so far. :)

Finaly apps like IA Spacemaker and SMS tools will stop working as they  

are hard coded to look in the IPSM for the cemail.vol directory.

and apparently IA caller ID stops working as well.

Oh and SMS counter should stop working as well.

i did palomaa's trick and sms tools still does work.it's sms toolbox that won't.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

thats right pyke. :wink:

i dont use ia space maker and caller id. i dont make it a point to have the battery level drop down below 10% as this (i know) is not a good practice-you are at risk of losing phone info, causing your phone to return to the factory settings. charge or turn off your phone when your way below the critical level.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

@Lopio

tnx pare. hope u find it "useful" kahit may mga appz na na pang-backup ng messages. remember ulit...its the db that u will backup and not just the messages. :)

Pzee i use sms cool to back up my messages sa pc, i use your patch to clean cemail.vol kasi lagi lumalaki sya even wala na laman di sya bumaba kaya i have to delete cemail.vol regularly

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

@Lopio

cant blv may silbi rin pala yung ginawa ko kahit papano. :)

ok pang bkup ng msgs yung SP Studio. pwede siguro maka gawa ng app na makaka pag backup ng cemail.vol from phone to PC then pabalik. :wink:

What i really need is how to delete mxip_initdb.vol, you see my mxip keeps on increasing even without adding new contacts, the last time was a whopping 1.27mb on my mxip thats why i decided to upgrade to orange rom para ma clean yung mxip ko. now its 388kb but last week after i sync my contact its only 200kb dunno why its 388kb now i didnt add new contacts. pre i would be thankful if you can find a way to delete mxip on our phone without doing hard reset. :)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
last week after i sync my contact its only 200kb dunno why its 388kb now i didnt add new contacts.

binalikan ko yung procedure kung pano mag rename ng mxip_inibd.vol then backup to PC. nagawa ko ulit cya without any problems and meron pa kong na-diskobre...

yung mxip_initdb.vol ay hindi lamang para sa Contacts. info regarding Calendar entries are also stored in this db. Pati info regrading SpeedDial naka store din sa file na to.

this makes sense now. bakit di naman ako naglagay ng entries sa contacts, di naglalagay ng entries sa calendar pero lumalaki yung mxip_initdb.vol ko? Answer is: baka ang dami na ring SpeedDial entries (Shortcuts) sa phone. :idea:

basta pre just find me a solution how to delete without hard reset, dont need to backup cause i already have it on my outlook express on both pc hehe

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
basta pre just find me a solution how to delete without http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset, dont need to backup cause i already have it on my outlook express on both pc hehe

havent tried deleting 'big' mxip_initdb.vol on my orange rom. nagawa ko na yan sa smart rom. napalitan ko yung .vol with an 'empty' one na parang bago ulit phone ko. from 1.38MB naging 232KB na lang yung nasa phone. :)

pzee,

di ba,mawawala ang contacts mo sa phone when you delete the mxipinit_db.vol.bakit pati sa outlook,nwala rin yung contacts? i mean,when i used an empty mxip_initdb.vol, nakita ko na lang na isa-isang nawawala ang mga contacts ko sa outlook habang nagsi-sync ang phone sa pc.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
pzee,

di ba,mawawala ang contacts mo sa phone when you delete the mxipinit_db.vol.bakit pati sa outlook,nwala rin yung contacts? i mean,when i used an empty mxip_initdb.vol, nakita ko na lang na isa-isang nawawala ang mga contacts ko sa outlook habang nagsi-sync ang phone sa pc.

kc naka sync contacts mo sa phone and pc.

• 2 weeks later...

@pzee its now working again tumunog na naman hehe, i think its home screen dependent, may home screen na ayaw talaga mag beep, then i install a new homescreen perfect na for 2 days.