Orange SPV E200 Questions

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Just set the Internet Connection to 'Pass through' and attach the phone to USB cable.  

When you surf the net - no small G  

This is because the phone is now using the PC's modem link

Even better use bluetooth to sync, then piggy back your pc's internet connection with no wires :lol:/

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Sorry can't use Bluetooth, I don't have anything bluetooth apart from the SPV3.

If I sync with anything (I don't care GPRS/Internet etc.) does it sync EVERYTHING or just the contacts, calendar, notes, inbox etc. (the main things shown in activesync dialog.

-----

How many brightness levels are there?

I noticed there's the full light level, then the slightly dimmed level just a few seconds later, then the backlight off, then the colour off. Can you change the permanent full-backlight level to a bit lower (I know there's no "official" setting).

What's the confirmation time-out for? (Menu 4-6 Settings>Accessibility).

Do these phones have version numbers?

What is the screen saver mode for? - Menu 4-9-5 (Power Management). I know if you turn it to "None" you can use it kind of as a mono colour phone in that it shows the colours, but there's no light.

Anybody tried opening files such as .bmp using Smart Explorer and it opens in Multimedia Album and the picture doesn't show? I don't know why it does that but it's really annoying. I removed the associations of Multimedia Album and things like .bmp.

Guest DancingMatt
Just set the Internet Connection to 'Pass through' and attach the phone to USB cable.

When you surf the net  - no small G  :shock: 

This is because the phone is now using the PC's modem link  :lol:/

Is it possible to use this the other way around - i.e. use an E200 as a modem for a desktop PC? Haven't got a landline in my new flat yet so this would be useful...

Can it be done? Just stick the E200 in the cradle and either dial-up through the mobile (paying normal 08700 rates) or use GPRS?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks a lot

DM

Guest londonlad

When you surf the net  - no small G  :shock: 

This is because the phone is now using the PC's modem link  :lol:/

how do you set the internet connection to passthrough ???

is it on the phone or on the pc?

thanks

You set the pass through option on the SPV with Programs-Settings-Data connections, Internet connection=pass through connection.

If you find pass though as an option under Work connection instead then it can be changed to Internet connection in the PC's ative sync options.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Is there something that I can change somehow somewhere, so that I can use a different ringtone e.g. for my "Night" profile I want to use the Call waiting ringtone for text message notifications.

So I was right in thinking you can use your Pc's internet connection so that you can surf on the E200?

What I mean is I could use MSN Messenger on the E200 using my Broadband connection?

If so 1Meg surfing on the E200 :lol:

Guest londonlad
Is there something that I can change somehow somewhere, so that I can use a different ringtone e.g. for my "Night" profile I want to use the Call waiting ringtone for text message notifications.

i think if you select the profile 'night' then you can give it the ringtones you want

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Oh... :? I think I get that... I'll give it a try, but I think I might have tried it - do you mean go to Night, right click, edit and that will allow me to choose the tone, if so, that's not possible, but I'll give that other idea a try anyway... :lol:

How do I know which applications will harm my phone and which won’t?  After I installed most of the apps (image attached on earlier post) it stopped working, but now I haven’t installed all of them – so which apps are evil :twisted: ?

I tried installing mytools just before my SPV3 also froze on Windows Mobile screen.

When I try to Hard Reset I end up with a blank screen with a "P" and an "e". Nothing else happens.

BTW Orange have eventually agreed to replace the phone!

Guest Toyota-F1.com
I tried installing mytools just before my SPV3 also froze on Windows Mobile screen

YES, I'm getting people to call it the SPV3, yay!!!

That's the one I was suspicious of, so I haven't installed it again, so I can't confirm that that was the evil program :evil: .

:)

Orange replaced my SPV3(!). I loaded a couple of other unregistered bits of software (Sonnerie and Smartexplorer) and the new SPV wouldn't load after being turned off. Luckily this (new) one allowed me to Hard Reset. I will be wary of other software from now on.

Guest Disco Stu

I don't think there is.

Problem is some things work with all Smartphones, some things are device-specific, some things are OS-specific etc

For example, Smart Strip-poker works fine on the SPV1 and appears to work on the E200, but the sound is bad on the latter. Same with all AIM games I think.

My new thingy is fine but the joystick is a bit sticky when trying to move down through a menu. Will this improve with use. Mind you, my last one whizzed down through menus too fast!

There's just no pleasing some people.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Toyota-F1.com

Can I ask why it is better to keep the storage memory as free as much as possible i.e. why is it better to keep as much on the storage card as you can?

Toyota-F1

Try this

Load a few apps into the phone, hit home key and then load up IA Style Task Manager. You will see the full list of opened apps and available phone memory. As you close down each app (pressing 7) the available phone memory increases.

What this means is that if you use a lot of phone memory for storing WAVS, pictures, programs etc then there may not be enough memory left to run your apps and memory management will struggle - hence CRASH and hard reset :)

Guest sbimev

Hi everybody,

I live in the US and I'd love to get one of those E200s but since there is no Orange network here I must SIM unlock it in order to use it. Do you guys know if somebody has done it already or I have to wait.

Thanks!

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Toyota-F1

Try this 

Load a few apps into the phone, hit home key and then load up IA Style http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7065>Task Manager.  You will see the full list of opened apps and available phone memory. As you close down each app (pressing 7) the available phone memory increases.

What this means is that if you use a lot of phone memory for storing WAVS, pictures, programs etc then there may not be enough memory left to run your apps and memory management will struggle - hence CRASH and http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset :)

How does how much storage space used affect the "RAM"?

I'm not having any problems at the moment I'm just asking really - I've got about 30% storage remaining (about 8MB) and when I switch my phone on about 10.2MB RAM (according to the task manager you mentioned).

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...
Guest Toyota-F1.com

Wow, I haven't been on here for aaaaaaaages!!!

Anyway...

Does anybody know of any picture-viewing software?

I use Smart Explorer, and when I come across a .jpg, it used to be assigned to the Multimedia Album, but it was rubbish (I think, can't remember correctly now...) so I assigned them to Internet Explorer.

As you can imagine, this isn't perfect and I'd like something like MS Paint or something else that's simple but effective for viewing images on my SPV3!

Thankyou!!!!

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Wow, I haven't been on here for aaaaaaaages!!!

Anyway...

Does anybody know of any picture-viewing software?

I use http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=55367>Smart Explorer, and when I come across a .jpg, it used to be assigned to the Multimedia Album, but it was rubbish (I think, can't remember correctly now...) so I assigned them to Internet Explorer.

As you can imagine, this isn't perfect and I'd like something like MS Paint or something else that's simple but effective for viewing images on my SPV3!

Thankyou!!!!

And, I don't know if anybody has noticed, but I've noticed that my SPV3 has a little battery, like a watch battery inside, you can see it if your remove the main battery.

I don't know what it's for.