Want to get started w/ Smartphone programming

Guest DOOManiac

Guest DOOManiac

Hi guys.

I've decided that I want to get into Smartphone coding with the goal of hopefully creating a NES emu that's a bit better than our only current choice, and have it be completely open source (as it should be).

While I know there is much work ahead of me for something ilke this, right now I just want to get started with the basics.

Right now my C++ level is at that dreaded 'academic' level, where I've taken the college courses that teach you the syntax and theory but you don't actually do anything. :P So as of know I am completely ignorant of the Windows-specific API's and whatnot. My only out of class experience with C++ has been working with the Half-Life SDK (which can be quite the pain in the arse at times).

So my basic question is: What do I do to get started? I'm a bit confused on what all I need to DL from MS's Mobile Dev site, is all I need the Smartphone 2002 SDK and Embedded VC++ 4?

Are there any good tutorials or other places to get acquainted w/ Smartphone coding? Do any of you have advice, such as pitfalls to stay away from and the like?

Thanks for any help any of you can give. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest moo_ski_doo

First up, I'd say that if you have no Windows programming experience (and especially if you have very little C programming experience,) then Smartphone programming is not the best place to start. Smartphone programming is very quirky so it's well worth understanding how to program Windows reasonably well to start with - try reading Programming Windows by Charles Petzold (Microsoft Press) if you are really serious about doing this! I'm not trying to put anyone off here, just trying to be realistic.

Anyway, if you've decided that Smartphone programming is what you want to do then it's pretty easy to get the stuff you need to get started. Unfortunately it's all a bit of a mess at the moment so if you want to program for 2002 you'll need different software than that for 2003. I have both running side by side and it works OK (although not perfectly and it did take a while to get it all working in the first place.) I've heard that the next version of Visual Studio .NET should support Smartphone programming so all this should soon be a thing of the past.

Anyway, that's not yet the case, so for now if you want to program for 2002, download eMbedded Visual Tools 3 (which includes the Smartphone 2002 SDK,) or if you want to program for 2003, download eMbedded Visual Tools 4, eMbedded Visual Tools 4 SP2 (don't attempt the install without this!) and the Smartphone 2003 SDK (since this is NOT included in eMbedded Visual Tools 4.) Links to these downloads follow:

2002:

eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

2003:

eMbedded Visual Tools 4.0: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

eMbedded Visual Tools 4.0 SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Windows Mobile 2003 SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

These are all very big downloads so you really need a broadband connection to download them.

This should be everything you need to get started so get it installed and just have a play around with it all. The best advice I can give to get going is just to play around with the sample programs that come with both versions of eMbedded Visual Tools, and try running them on the emulator etc. If you need more help, good sources are MSDN ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ileembedded.asp ) and of course this site!

Referring back to the first post in this thread, developing a NES emulator with very little programming experience is a hell of a job so good luck with that!

Hope this all helps :)

Guest daniel darky

Thanks for posting the relevant links, looking forward to experimenting... Any other books you can recommend, I have some 'Academic' Pascal and C experience, is it worth me bothering? (I do like a challange... 8) )

Guest moo_ski_doo
Can you give any tips on creating hydrogen fueled energy? Seems like it may be easier for me to learn!
You're probably not far wrong!

Any other books you can recommend, I have some 'Academic' Pascal and C experience, is it worth me bothering?  (I do like a challange... 8) )

It's not for me to decide really! If you're interested you'll just have to give it a go and see whether it's what you actually want to do. It is more complicated than regular Windows programming but the sample programs that come with the SDKs simplify things a lot. If you have no Windows programming experience I'd suggest doing some of that first to get up to speed with the Windows APIs which I think is quite important to understand (it's very useful stuff to know anyway.) As for books, I don't know of any specifically for Smartphone programming but just have a look at any to do with the Windows API (Charles Petzold is my favourite but there are others out there.)

Guest daniel darky

Thanks moo_ski_doo,

Going to have a look into this properly, have been interested in learning new programming stuff, going to have a look myself, but anyone know of any good web resources relating to Windows Programming/API stuff ? (I was a student for 3 years, still a skank! :) )

Be sure that I will post here as I learn, with queries to annoy you all... :twisted:

Guest maxh2003

Don't know if anyone's still interested, but I've begun work on a series of tutorials on Smartphone programming. The first tutorial just covers getting eVC and emulators running, but it's a start. You can get it from the same place as Flamethrower Carnage - www.gamesforsmartphones.com . If there's any interest in the first tutorial I'll extend it to show how to put together simple (!) 2D games.

FWIW my C++ isn't up to much - and I freely admit it on the tutorials page - so be kind in your comments - but if I can help out a few people and thus stimulate the creation of new smartphone games, then great :-D

Anyone who wants to contribute questions, corrections or abuse is quite welcome :-)

Guest maxh2003

Well TBH there's just as much chance of me learning off you - whatever your level of coding... maybe I just have too much time on my hands atm! :)

Anyway I repeat, any suggestions gratefully appreciated. If anyone goes through the tutorial and gets stuck, let me know or post here. The thing's only going to be of any real use if it gets decent review and feedback. Here's hoping :D

• 1 month later...
Guest quacka

I am really interested in this topic too :D

Need to make a call timer for the mpx200. It would save me heaps of money as first 20 minute of my calls are free ;)

well between 8pm -midnight anyway

Guest JoelRae

Great work on the site maxh2003 - I munched through the first 2 tutorials yesterday evening, my spv classic now says hello!!! :D

Any word on when the next tutorials are going up? I'm well up for some more ;)

Thanks again,

Joel

Guest maxh2003

Thanks for the comments, all ;)

Tutorial 3 is now up at the usual address; it doesn't go as far as I'd hoped (bitmaps) but at least we get to plot pixels and create threads :D

Keep the feedback coming, and cheers to all those who've spotted errors, omissions and cock-ups :lol: :P :D

Guest JoelRae

Great work again maxh2003 - worked through that tutorial no probs, will have a go at tweaking some of the numbers and porting it over to 2002 (using the info from tut 2) at some point :D

Guest maxh2003

Hi all...

Tutorial 4 is now up at www.gamesforsmartphones.com ; it shows how to display bitmaps and make them move around, and how to read user input and make things happen based on that input. What more do you need?

Equipped with this and the previous tutorials, you've got enough to write your own version of Eclipse!!! Well, sort-of, there's no sound or UI to speak of, but short of that you can use the instructions to code just about any old 2D game you can think of. You might also need some graphics skills, if you don't want your game to look like mine!

On a related note, if anyone creates something they're pleased with and are happy to give away - no matter how simple (Whack-A-Mole, anyone?!) - then get in touch with me via PM or anything @gamesforsmartphones.com - I'd be delighted if I could add the odd user project to the site. If you're happy to let the source code be posted up too then that'd be wonderful.

If on the other hand anyone uses the tutorials to create something they want to sell or give away themselves, can I ask for a byline in the README file or About screen (yes, I know I didn't yet explain how to create About screens...)? Something like "Created with the assistance of gamesforsmartphones.com" would be great, and you'll be helping others to find out about what you already learnt... not to mention boost my website traffic :twisted:

Enjoy, and do please feed back on successes, failures, and cock-ups of all kinds, especially errors in the tutorial.

Attached, example binary for 2003 - you can build your own 2002 version if you want!!!

DuckHuntPrototype.exe

• 1 year later...
Guest eivra

:idea: Thanks for the motivation and for the relevant links! I'm looking forward to consult you on some projects i want to develop--that is, if you will be kind and willing to extend me the assistance i will be needing ;) . Actually, i have a list of proposals already but i'm not quite sure about it's requirements since i'm new to smartphone programming. Mine's a Tanager(Smartphone 2002) and i'm using the Qtek 7010 ROM. Soon, i will install the necessary tools needed to get started and experiment with it :D

More power to those who are innovative!!