MPx100

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest midnight

nothing, thats just what people presumed with the mpx100 naming, but it seems as though MPx1** is candybar, MPx2** is flip and MPx3** (if thats what they will call it) is pocketpc phone edition.

I think this is simply a case of allowing people a choice of candybvar and flip phones with the mpx100 and mpx220 being similar specs, that is, until we see what processors are in the things :)

what is going on!!! why on earth has moto decided to switch to mini sd!? to me this is an (almost) unforgivable move. mini sd offers no extra benefits to the consumer (aside from a tiny (and i mean tiny) form factor reduction).

i have been investing in sd has my storage medium of choice and am very happy with it. i currently use sd in my laptop, phone, pda and camera. now i am going to have to switch... and wait (for their release). i dont know if anyone else has tried to find a mini sd card for sale... anywhere! there isnt even any on ebay, world-wide!!! inevitably when they appear they will cost more than standard sd cards, even though, by their very nature, they cost less to produce! it just seems to me that this is an unnecassary screwing-over of us, the consumer. my draw to the MS Smartphone format has often been the fact that i dont have to pay extra all the time for peripherals such as ringtones, logos, memory.

it seems to me that changing formats is simply based on shifting more stock of stuff to maintain a turnover. and it annoys me, as you may have noticed. i would MUCH rather gain (about) 20 cubic millimetres on the size of my phone than invest in a new card which will cost me tens, if not hundreds of pounds!

aside from that, this phone looks awsome. it certainly looks considerably smaller tan my spv and totally top notch. damn you microsoft and moto for making me want this so much i will inevitably buy it, ignoring my own complaints!

grrrr! :roll:

Guest zeta101

thanks for explaination midnight...miniSD is puzzling too, its a wonder MS let moto change actually, i thought the specs for MS smartphones were quite rigid. I dont even see the point of miniSD as a whole, i mean it MUST have some benifits of SD other than the slight size difference, otherwise no company would bother inventing/making it....maybe miniSD will be cheaper to make and thus will actually be cheaper than normal SD? /me hopes

Guest midnight
The latest advance in card size was announced in Hanover, Germany on Thursday at the CeBIT trade show when the SD Card Association unveiled a miniature version of its Secure Digital memory card. Dubbed "Mini SD," the new card is the smallest memory card yet to be introduced and is designed for use in compact, portable digital electronics devices such as cellular telephones and digital music players.

"Every cubic millimeter is important in those devices," said Bo Ericsson, senior vice president of marketing at memory-maker SanDisk. "This is the smallest device out there."

and so, most likely its been done to get the phone size down (the sd slot does take up quite a chunk of room in current cellphones). And I dont agree with you there, the smaller the phone the better. And from what i heard, Mini SD may become the standard, and so potentially cost less than current SD over time. (hell, has to be adopted sometime ;P)

Very very very good news !

But what is "Mini sd card" ??

Does this mean it is yet another memory size / standard ?

Does this mean my 256 Mb SD won't fit in this phone ???

Guest darren22

Just been to Sandisk website to see whether they had any further details.

Nothing :!:

Cannot even purchase the miniSD card direct from them yet. :)

Anybody found them for sale, anywhere....

Guest Paul [MVP]

I wonder if the mini cards use less power than the standard ones?

If so, that may be a home reason for the change.

And hey, if it leads to smaller handsets, i'm all for it! :-)

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Pagemakers
That phone simply kick ass! Can't wait till they release it, and near the end of 2004 for a release nicely ties in with my contract renewal!!

Nice one Moto!

How do you know it's the end of the year?

Guest zeta101

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4545.html

miniSD reaches 256 MB

By: Anthony Newman, Friday 30th January 2004, 09:48 GMT

Kingmax have unveiled a new capacity variant of the miniSD flash memory card, the smaller cousin of the popular Secure Digital format. The new version packs 256 MB of storage into a card measuring 20 x 21.5 x 1.4 mm. The previous maximum was 128 MB.

MiniSD card claim increased water-resistance and durability in preparation for their role in consumer items such as mobile phones. The format boasts 12.5 MB/sec transfer rate and low power consumption, while the Kingmax card will ship with a 5 year warranty.

What are normal SD card transfer rates like? can we expect things will run better (like videos) from the new miniSD cards? Would be nice to know how low the power consumption is compared to SD...

Guest rocksnake

THIS IS IT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, at last two truly comprehensive handsets are about to enter the ring....

....dig the 1.3 meg camera! :shock:

Now its just a case of deciding which flavour, candy or clam? (yum)

p.s. good-grief! It feels like autumn 1980, the wait until xmas for those Empire Strikes Back toys. :cry: :) :twisted:

Guest zeta101

the article is about miniSD not SD.

There are now some RL photos of mockups of the mpx100 over at ppcw.net and msmobiles has a photo of an "engineering sample" that shows the mpx100 with a nice blue backlit keypad...mmmmm

Guest mcwarre

Anybody notice how the MPx100 looks exactly like the phone that MoDaCo man is holding? It even has an 'M' on it! Personally, I think that Paul should sue..................

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.