breaking news: mpx200 + wm2003 = YES!

Guest lutzh

microsoft & motorola malaysia inviting people to join the developer-launch of the mpx200 in malaysia. nothing important on that but check the highlights in point three (in bold for older modaco members).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To All Professional Developers and Independent Software Vendors,

Motorola PCS Malaysia and Microsoft Malaysia would like to invite you to join us at the launch of the first Windows Mobile Smartphone Developers Program. This event is held to promote the development of solutions and applications that run on the Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphone OS.

Who should attend:

IT Managers, Software Developers, Programmers, Systems Analyst, any application developer principle. Business Decision Makers and IT Professionals are also invited to attend especially if they’re interested in Mobile solutions.

Date:

Friday, February 27th 2004.

10am – 1pm

Venue:

Microsoft Auditorium

Level 29, Tower 2, Petronas Twin Towers,

Kuala Lumpur City Center, 50088 Kuala Lumpur.

Agenda:

9:30am – 10:00am Registration

10:00am – 10:15am Microsoft Smart Client Futures by John Montgomery, Director Product Marketing Group, Microsoft Corp.

10:15am – 10:45am SmartMoto Developers Program Brief & Contest by Loke Uei, Developer Evangelist, Microsoft Malaysia

10:45am – 11:15am SmartMoto Preview & Roadmap of Motorola’s Phones by Peter Ho, Motorola PCS Malaysia

11:15am – 12:15pm Smartphone Development using .NET Compact Framework by Hoong Fai, Developer Evangelist, Microsoft Malaysia

12:15pm – 12:30pm Q&A

12:30pm - 1:30pm Lunch

Highlights:

1. See the new Smartmoto MPx200 Smartphone by Motorola PCS Malaysia

2. Learn about the Developer’s Program offerings, support and Roadmap from Microsoft Malaysia and Motorola PCS Malaysia

3. Order your very own Smartphone Developers Kit that comes with an enhanced MPx200 phone that runs Windows Mobile 2003.

4. Participate in a Smartphone Developers Contest and win attractive prizes.

Please send an email with your Name, Position, Company and Contact number to: [email protected] or call Ms. Fairuz / Ms. Yu Tsing at +603 21796838

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can confirm this (its no mistake/error) and i can also confirm that:

- "phones sold on retail market is 2002".

- "phones bought with the SDK on Friday is 2003 flashed by us".

- "2003 OS will be out in 2months time."

- "officially by moto".

cheers, lutz

Guest verbetex

If this really happens and Orange release it (Fingers crossed), how would the upgrade be installed? Would we need to send our phones back to orange for them to install it? Or would we be able to download and install it ourselves?

...how & when will be defined. all important is: it will be there. and you know how it is: once its somewhere it will be here too. no matter what a carrier is planning.

i'll try to get my hands on it asap and i'll let you know then...

cheers, lutz

who knows today? but anyway - there's always a way. i'll try to get my hands on it and then we'll see.

otherwise we need to be passioned. it will come by automatically.

cheers, lutz

...because someone told me this. and that person also told me that above thats why i think its true. at least for malaysia. but you know how it is. once its there its here too.

cheers, lutz

Guest phonesmarts

well, i hope there is...either that or give us discounts for the mpx220 (or 300, or 100)...like a trade in thing, trade in your working mpx and get a rebate for a newer model (trade in trade up)

Guest Shuflie

Reading between the lines of the interview with the VP from motorola I be inclined to believe that it doesn't rule out an upgrade to WM2003. What was actually reported was

Tatelman said that there will be no ROM upgrade to Smartphone 2003 - he is 100% sure about it. He said at least as far as individual users are concerned - indicating that some corporations may get the Smartphone 2003 upgrade for MPx200 but certainly not regular individual users!  

To me this looks more likely that motorola will not be dishing out the upgrade to individual users, but no ROM upgrade on the SPV was ever given out by the manufacturer either, they have all came through Orange. The fact that motorola won't be giving out upgrades to users makes sense since the operators need to customise it for their users, imagine the number of complaints there would be if you used orange backup to save all your contacts, upgraded to WM2003 from an image released by Motorola, and then found out that you no longer had access to orange backups to retrieve your contacts again. Would be a disaster just waiting to happen.

Guest awarner [MVP]
well, i hope there is...either that or give us discounts for the mpx220 (or 300, or 100)...like a trade in thing, trade in your working mpx and get a rebate for a newer model (trade in trade up)

We all said that after the E100 was released but nothing ever came of it :)