orange uk have axed the mpx200 from there range!!

Guest thelagermonster

Guest MPxMike

Okay - an update ;)

Just had a phone call from Orange - usual story - 6600 or nothing, no data cable, MMC cards or anything. I actually managed to stay calm and not raise my voice this time :wink:

Anyway...

I pointed out that the law (Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)) says that they must replace or repair it without considerable inconvenience, and that having to replace SD cards, buy a datacable and buy new software, change the way my networking is done etc is very considerable inconvenience. The guy took my point and went away to consult his superior.

He came back and said that if I would accept it, they'll try to override the system and get me a Handspring Treo 600 that will take the SD cards and comes with a datacable. He said he couldn't confirm that I'll get it, but he will try to arrange it.

He's going to get back to me as soon as possible (today or tomorrow) with a definite answer, but it shows that knowing the law and being persistent can make them think twice. (Probably didn't hurt that I told him that the DTI, my solicitor and Trading Standards were all on the case as well. :D )

More updates when I get the definite answer from them.

Guest Stomski

Can't you hold out and push for an mpx220 from them when it's released?

Oh and both Orange stores in central Bristol are still stocking the mpx200 last time I checked.

Guest Pondrew

Gotta agree with smokedog on this one, you'd be a fool to 'decline' the Treo in the hopes of getting a handset that's not even been confirmed yet. I'd grab the opportunity with both hands even if it's not a Smartphone in the Microsoft sense.

Guest mandi

I work for Windows Mobile, training store staff how to use the smartphones, e.g MPX and e200, and currently Orange stores definately have the MPX in stock although you would be much better off with an e200 as they have a camera integrated and are bluetooth as well.

Guest awarner [MVP]
although you would be much better off with an e200 as they have a camera integrated and are bluetooth as well.

Unless you do not use the camera and do not own anything else that is bt compatable :D

Seriously though apart from that the mpx has a superior build quality

to the E200 and also more importantly for me runs faster than the e200

Guest MPxMike

I can see everyone's points, but I agree with Pondrew & Smokedog - I'll take the Treo if they confirm the offer. The camera was never an issue (I have a proper camera for taking pictures) which is why I chose the MPx in the first place. Don't need Bluetooth either - my work mobile has that and I've never needed or used it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer a Windows-based phone but in the meantime I'm paying £30 a month on my contract on a phone that just isn't reliable. In addition to having to hard-reset every other day, the audio sounds like I'm mobile in a bad signal area - even when I have full signal. My work's 6310i has much better audio in the same locations. I just can't afford to hold out for what could be a lemon that isn't yet destined for release.

I'll keep you all posted when I get some sort of answer from Orange - there could be a solution here for other people as well (never imagined I'd be a test-case :D )

Mike

Guest spv_user

Posted from my SmartPhone! any news I have had prob s with my m p x. but i am loathed if they will palm of some inferior handset in its place will just have to put up with it ! reset and take the prob s

Guest kr00t0n

I was talking to the Orange rep today (I work in a Phones4U), and he said I should hold out (as my phone works fine, just the sim retainers that snapped) til the MPX220/100 comes out (+-3 to 4 months POSSIBLY).

He's also a smartpone users and agrees about the annoyance of offering a 6600...

Here's hoping, I'll gladly pay the difference for newer version when they come out :D

Guest MPxMike

Well, I can now report that everything is decided ;)

My new Treo 600 arrives tomorrow evening :D and the MPx goes back :P

All in all, a fairly satisfactory conclusion - a much better deal in my opinion than a 6600.

Thanks to everyone on MoDaCo for their advice, comments, support and encouragement...

...and a big :lol: for Paul (and his supervisor) from the Peterlee customer relations call-centre.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...