Connect your SPV E200 to a GPS receiver over Bluetooth

Hi!

After working for three weeks on a solution to read out GPS position data from a GPS receiver (in my case it is a bluetooth GPS mouse from Socket) using the SPV E200 and a bluetooth connection over a serial port I nearly gave up: Anything worked - and I have tried a lot ;-)

But then, I heard of the beta ROM update and from Paul (who had tested the UK beta update) that he had correctly made exactly the connection to a GPS receiver over bluetooth... So, I gave it another try: As I am working for Orange Switzerland I got the chance to test the Swiss beta ROM update. And after another annoying full day of testing: Finally the break-through!

It works!

I am very glad to present you a quick manual and some sample code (based on the sample chat application which I have ported from PocketPC to Smartphone: The original code for PocketPC can be found on: http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/11511/0/page/3) if you are developing something going in the same direction:

1) Wait for the upcoming ROM update: It's essential for that kind of connection because you can now choose an incoming and outgoing COM port for bluetooth connections.

2) Just after the update, set the COM ports for bluetooth as the preset values (Start -> Configurations -> BT SerialPortSetup). When finished click on "Done".

3) Now you will be prompted to bond again to your GPS receiver. Do so (especially enter the correct device code: for the Socket GPS mouse it is "0183"); bluetooth mode will automatically switch to "Discoverable".

4) Install the compiled app from the sample code in the attachment to this message.

5) Open the app, choose "Menu" and then "Connect" -> there you are :-) Have fun!

I am a bit estonished that I had to set the incoming COM port in the appliation to COM7: As I mentioned before, in the BT SerialPortSetup on the SPV you have as incoming port COM6 and as _outgoing_ port COM7. But who really cares - it works :-)

I hope I could help you with these information - probably, we will see in the near future a lot of GPS location based applications for the Smartphone platform and not only for PocketPCs!

Best regards,

Martin

Form1.vb

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mandi

I thought this would be the best place to ask and call me thick if you want(i probably am) but i want to connect my Spv by bluetooth to GPS receiver. I am quite new to this, but i have downloaded Mapoplois onto my e200 and have got the ROM update from Orange. I just cant get the 2 devices to talk to each other.....help please!

Hi!

Unfortunately, I do not know much about Mapopolis - I only have seen on their web page that they have released a beta version for smartphone devices. Being in a hurry for my diploma work I cannot test Mapopolis :-(

But...

- You have to know what COM ports Mapopolis is using for the bluetooth connection (in and out port).

- With these ports in mind set them in "BT SerialPortSetup" on your SPV. By clicking on "Done" you should be re-directed to the general bluetooth settings and have the opportunity to (re-)bond your bluetooth devices.

- Do so (meaning: bond the SPV and your GPS receiver).

After that Mapopolis should "talk" to your GPS receiver.

Good luck :-)

Martin

I thought this would be the best place to ask and call me thick if you want(i probably am) but i want to connect my Spv by bluetooth to GPS receiver. I am quite new to this, but i have downloaded Mapoplois onto my e200 and have got the ROM update from Orange. I just cant get the 2 devices to talk to each other.....help please!

Guest mandi

Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply, ive set the com ports, but the bluetooth on the spv wil only show on, off or discoverable, it will not let me discover any new devices, do you know anything about this?

Guest adamsmith

Sometimes the devices can take a while to be recognised have you tried the options menu (right button when you are in the bluetooth options section). It seems the devices seem to bond when you are in this area??

Maybe am talkin Boll*x but i have connected my EMTAC bluetooth receiever to my E200 and thanks to WALK again have made it receive and pasrse the info out the box i need!

THANKS AGAIN WALD !!!!

Adam

Guest James
Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply, ive set the com ports, but the bluetooth on the spv wil only show on, off or discoverable, it will not let me discover any new devices, do you know anything about this?

Got to 'Settings' then 'bluetooth' then select 'Menu' then 'Bonded devices' then click 'menu' again followed by 'New'..... should try and look for you device... give it a min to find.

Guest Croccy22

Wald:

Have checked out yer code and it does indeed work :D

Only thing I have to say is that you don't need to open both com ports.

Although the ports are named inbound and outbond, they are both two way ports

the difference between them is where the connection has been established from.

eg if you connect to the spp on your phone from your computer. then the port used will be com6: inbound connection

if however you use your phone to connect the the spp profile on the pc, then this will use com7: outbound connection

you can test this easily. connect to phone spp from your pc. and then run your program with input and output ports both set to com6: it still works fine.

Just wish opennetcf serial support worked on the phone. don't know if it has been fixed in 1.1, han't got around to compiling it yet.

Matt

• 1 month later...
Guest pmelet

Hi Wald,

I have a big problem : I'm desesperatly looking for few days a solution to connect my SPV E200 to my GPS receveir, and I just read that you have the solution :

"4) Install the compiled app from the sample code in the attachment to this message"

... but I'm not a developer, and I realy don't know how to "install" you app !!!

Can you help me please ?

Thanks by advance

Pascal.

Hi!

Hmm, this IS in fact the developer corner... ;-)

But you will find in the attachment to this message a compiled version (BTGPS.exe). Just copy that file (using ActiveSync) to a folder like StoragePrgram Files on your SPV. Then you will have to call the file via a file browser like Smart Explorer.

Don't expect too much from this app: It's just here to show the functionality!

Good look :-)

BTGPS.exe

Guest Croccy22

I am working on some GPS based apps at the moment. so keep a look out.

Currently I have a program that displays longitude, lattitude, current speed, fix aqqauired and current direction.

I hope to turn this app into a speed camera locator, bit like a road angel.

I am also working on a 0-60mph timer for the car :)

Croccy22.

Matt

Guest pmelet

Wald, I have only world to say : THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH :!: :!: :!:

Your soft is simply great, and work perfectly. It was exacly what I was looking for so many hours in all the www forums !

Now my RoyalTek BlueGPS receiver is communicating with my Smartphone E200.

Thanks again.

:) :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :( :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :D :D :D

Pascal.

Hi!

I am glad to hear that :-) I would like to pass your words to Wei-Meng Lee - he is the one who did the nasty job, I have only ported the app with little adaption to the Smartphone.

wald

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pmikekorn

Hello Wald,

I was hoping to get a copy f this glorious BTGPS.exe but am having download errors. any help is much appreciated.

thanks

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest indiekiduk

Umm this doesnt work for me.

After I connect the text box fills with :

-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->

Even if my GPS is off or on!

Umm this doesnt work for me.  

After I connect the text box fills with :

-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->-->

Even if my GPS is off or on!

Hi!

Hmm, strange behaviour... I can reproduce it if I have the Bluetooth functionality de-activated. It seems that "-->" is some kind of idle signal which is received when the port is opened, but no data is coming in from the communication partner.

So, is the Bluetooth status set to "on" on your SPV?

wald

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Paladijn
It works!

I am very glad to present you a quick manual and some sample code (based on the sample chat  application which I have ported from PocketPC to Smartphone: The original code for PocketPC can be found on: http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/11511/0/page/3) if you are developing something going in the same direction:

It seems your sample code is missing? I can't find a download link in your post (other then the abovementioned original code).

[edit]browser cached the page I guess, I managed to download the file now[/edit]

• 11 months later...
Guest floater

Hmm, I wonder if I can give this thread a breath of life...

I'm starting open source development on a bluetooth gps app and would be interested in seeing this code if anyone still has a copy (link is deadski).

Or, does anyone know of any other open source bluetooth gps apps i can have a ganders at?