Time update

Guest Whoscalling

Guest Whoscalling

I travel around the US for business regularly. With past phones I have had when I land in a new city (new time zone) I would turn my phone on and the local time would automatically be updated on my phone. Since I have had the i600 it does not perform the update of the time. It always says Home and shows my California time. My network setting on the phone is automatic B as Verizon suggested.

Anyone else had this problem and are there any suggestions for a fix?

Guest mwaldrop

I've noticed the same thing on my i600. Interestingly you'll notice that your phone does sync the time over the air every time you power it on, it just doesn't pick up the time zone change.

As with most bugs for this phone, I'm holding out hope that the elusive 2003 update may fix it.

Guest rasmakonnan

I think I can provide some insght on this one. I live in NY and just returned from Colorado where I noticed same. The issue/'problem' if you want to call it that, is that the Smartphone 2002 OS, like any other computer OS, utilizes time zones. These have to be manually changed when you move to a different zone. If you go into your phone settings and simply set it to the zone you are currently in (for eg NY is GMT -5) the correct time wil then be displayed for that area/zone you're in. When you think about it this is no different from say your notebook or any other computer which also doesn't know what time zone it is in. Maybe one day the OS will be smart enough to recognize what zone it's in :roll: , but unfortunately that day is not here yet :) .

Hope this helps.

Guest mwaldrop
When you think about it this is no different from say your notebook or any other computer which also doesn't know what time zone it is in. Maybe one day the OS will be smart enough to recognize what zone it's in :roll: , but unfortunately that day is not here yet :) .

While I appreciate the accuracy of your response, just as an intellectual exercise I would offer a different view. I think the Smartphone is a phone not a computer. A PocketPC phone is a computer and not a phone. I would hope that since other phones handle the timezone issue as standard functionality, the Smartphone would do the same. Clearly this is not a complex programming task, but simply a choice in how the OS is designed.

So I'm not trying to be argumentative, just offering a different viewpoint.

Guest mark_k

I disagree a little.

The OS is more like a PC then a phone. within 6 months there are going to be applications that are based on the OS having time managed just like it is on a PC. The cell phone functionality is just a small part of this device. If I am using exchange servers etc... I need to have the same control over the date/time info just like I do on my PC.

I travel all the time. When I change the region time on the device it effects my scheduled meetings. etc.....

Guest rasmakonnan

Interesting points made by all. Unfortunately the Smartphone OS is a microsoft product and as such does act like a PC. One would think the phone company should be able to update the timezone settings in the same manner it does the time, which is synchronized over the air. This by the way can be confirmed by powering on your phone in an area with no cellular coverage, such as deep inside a large building (the phone prompts you to set the time manually since it is unable to sync it's time with the carrier, which doesn't quite make sense since it doesn't seem apply to the timezone settings. Anyone know if the same is true for a GSM/GPRS device? Perhaps it has something to do with Verizon's CDMA service?

Guest mwaldrop

I'm making some assumptions about the way the phone and the wireless service interact regarding time setting. As mentioned above, the i600 when set to automatic mode certainly updates the clock based on the "over the air" signal. I've noticed when powering my phone up when the plane lands, for instance, if there isn't a signal right away - the clock sets to 12:00. Seconds later when the cell signal is picked up, clock sets to correct time but not adjusted for timezone.

Also since my previous VZW CDMA phone always set itself to the correct time in the local time zone, my guess is that the phone can pick up both accurate GMT time and some indication of the proper time zone.

As for applications dealing with the phone automatically changing time zones - that is certainly a great point. I'm trying to think about other PC applications that communicate with Exchange and other server based repositories. I think (and clearly I'm not certain) that if you have Microsoft based client applications talking to Exchange they handle the time zone issue OK.

I guess if my assumptions about how a phone gets time info over the air are correct, it seems the best approach would be to allow a configuration option to let the phone automatically update time zone or not. Of course the fine folks in Redmond don't call me to approve requirements documents for their software like they should :)

Actually I just got word from somebody who is running the 2003 software on the i600 and this behaviour will not change with that release so I guess it's all purely a philosophical argument at this point.

Guest Whoscalling

Not suprising, but when I spoke to Verizon about the time update issue they told me that the phone should be up dating when I power on in a new time zone. They also recommended to ship me a new replacement phone. Before I go to extremes I now will try Samsung and see if I get a different answer.

I travel all the time. When I change the region time on the device it effects my scheduled meetings. etc.....
That's exactly right.

I used to be upset that my new i600 doesn't update the Time Zone automatically until I realized how much changing the Time Zone screws up appointment times; meetings; etc.

i.e. Monday, I'm in New York, so all my appointments are entered in EST. Wednesday I fly to San Francisco, and all my previous appointments are shifted by three hours. Without noticing this, I take down some new meeting schedules and appoints, this time in PST. Now I fly home to the midwest where all my appointments are again shifted by a couple of hours. All my appointment times are now pointless because there is no reference.

So, I believe this 'feature' was by design, and is probably a good thing.

Regards. Jay

Guest mwaldrop

Appointment entry is a good point. Outlook needs the ability to specify a time zone when you enter a new appointment. That would fix the problem. This has been missing from Outlook forever.

I think XRay is right. Probably a specific decision to have the phone function this way.

Guest mark_k
Not suprising, but when I spoke to Verizon about the time update issue they told me that the phone should be up dating when I power on in a new time zone.  They also recommended to ship me a new replacement phone.  Before I go to extremes I now will try Samsung and see if I get a different answer.

For crying out loud. CR's at verizon don't no anything about this phone. They really shouldn't be selling this device. They cant even answer a simple question like this.

Really unexceptable!!!!!

Guest mark_k
That's exactly right.

I used to be upset that my new i600 doesn't update the Time Zone automatically until I realized how much changing the Time Zone screws up appointment times; meetings; etc.

i.e. Monday, I'm in New York, so all my appointments are entered in EST. Wednesday I fly to San Francisco, and all my previous appointments are shifted by three hours. Without noticing this, I take down some new meeting schedules and appoints, this time in PST. Now I fly home to the midwest where all my appointments are again shifted by a couple of hours. All my appointment times are now pointless because there is no reference.

So, I believe this 'feature' was by design, and is probably a good thing.

Regards. Jay

I cant agree with you more!!!!!!

THis is how it should work. Just like on our PC's. I dont see why people have a problem with this.

Guest Whoscalling

I cant agree with you more!!!!!!

THis is how it should work. Just like on our PC's. I dont see why people have a problem with this.

Your point is good and I agree. I have just become accustomed to using my phone as a good source of local time when traveling.

Guest mjkaraoke

When I updated my i600 today with the Caller ID fix, I got a message (when the update was complete) that said basically, "You have to update the time on the phone. It is to automatically set over the air."

BTW, I also talked to Verizon AND Samsung about the time not changing when you visit different time zones. Verizon said that the phone was probably broken and Samsung said that Verizon's network was probably not working correctly and therefore not updating the time correctly. *sigh*

The basic problem is that none of the techs (OK, many of the techs) at either company actaully use the phone. If they did use the phone they would know what problems we're all experiencing and they would know the answers.