Would you stay with Orange/HTC mobiles?

Guest drblow

Guest morpheus2702

I think that's a semi-valid reason for the SPV, but for the E200 it just smacks of sloppiness. One of the most repeated lines on here is 'I'm fed up of being a beta tester for HTC'.

Guest statscat

I agree with that.

However you are being a beta tester for Microsoft too.

So I think its much fairer to say "I am tired of being a beta tester for MS and HTC".

It will be interesting to see who releases the first version of the next OS (whatever its code name is) I hope its someone other than HTC I guess then that at least allows people to see if its a manufacture or OS issues.

I had an SPV an E100 and an E200, I've also tried the MPX200 I am not attempting to defend what are real user issues, I guess I am trying to point out that whilst they appear to belong to HTC some of them might be down to MS and phones that are later to market have had an oppurtunity for the OEM to attempt to fix the OS issues or to have placed pressure on MS to do so. That's all.

In the words of Tron : "I fight for the users"

but part of that is knowing who to take the fight too I guess.

Guest looeee

If there were equivalent SP2003 devices on the market, would you choose another manufacturer over Orange branded/HTC SPV's?

Yes, I would choose another manufacturer over Orange branded/HTC SPV's

Guest bikespod

If another reputable manufacturer produced a thoroughly tested and well built phone, I for one would definitely give HTC the boot from my pocket.

I've got so fed up with break downs and the battery life, not to mention the call quality, that I have upgraded to a P900 (free of charge) Got to wait for it to come in to stock tho. But if it does everything I need it to, the E200 will stay in a drawer at least until the upgrade maybe delivers what it promises to. If it arrives :!:

I read somewhere that sony ericcson have already released 2 or 3 firmware updates, thats pretty quick in my opinion. I'm sure the smart phone platform will get a lot better some time, but its just not quick enough for me. As for HTC their quality control needs a serious looking at.

Guest Simon Desser
I read somewhere that sony ericcson have already released 2 or 3 firmware updates

That's right, not that there was anything noticably wrong with the original ROM :)

However, if your P900 is an Orange branded one, it's not upgradeable, or at least not until Orange release an upgrade :twisted:

Anyway, you won't be dissappointed, the P900 does everything the E200 promised and more :!:

Guest bikespod

glad to hear that simon. thanks for the info. its a bit like sleeping with the enemy, but needs must and all that,Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest chucky.egg
I've got so fed up with break downs and the battery life, not to mention the call quality, that I have upgraded to a P900 (free of charge) Got to wait for it to come in to stock tho. But if it does everything I need it to, the E200 will stay in a drawer at least until the upgrade maybe delivers what it promises to. If it arrives :!:

Exactly what I did a couple of months ago (apart from the Free upgrade - I went to Voda). The E200 hasn't seen daylight twice since then.

Guest bikespod

:) :? glad i'm not the only defector. I'll miss the constant tweaking, but there's so much I wont miss. I'll have to keep checking in on modaco tho, would definitely miss the forum.

Guest morpheus2702

In terms of functionality, what is the Symbian UIQ like? Does it sync with Outlook well? How does software availability stack up?

** Shitola - my 1000th post! **

Guest Simon Desser
In terms of functionality, what is the Symbian UIQ like?  Does it sync with Outlook well?  How does software availability stack up?

** Shitola - my 1000th post! **

To be honest I resisted using my P900, 'cos I really WANTED my E200 to kick ass :x

However, over the past few weeks I've really got into my P900, and if I'm honest, the Symbian UIQ OS makes a mockery of MS Smartphone :shock:

It syncs perfectly with Outlook, and the choice software that's out there is superb :D , I check every day what new releases there are, and I'd say on average, there are 2 new apps or games released DAILY :shock:

Here's a few things I've "jotted down" which are seriously making me want to turn my back on MS smartphones, the only thing that's stopping me at the moment is living in hope for the E200 update :?

P900 & Symbian UIQ

Fast, reliable and stable, never crashes never lags!

Decent camera, and video actually records movement!

Good battery life (blows the e200 away)

MMS includes sound, & tells you if it has been sent or not!

Can include smilies and midi sounds in SMS messages :)

Can send video clips via MMS on Orange to my mates P900 :D

GPRS counter works well, and pops up each time you disconnect

Can search through Songs and Videos with a slider

Can use mp3's as ringtones, and ringtones can be stored on the card

Files, pictures videos etc. can be sent via bluetooth!

Alarm Clock is excellent, you can set various alarms per day, and can repeat them for selctive days such as workdays only etc.

Calender and appointments work properly, and using "Handy Day", Appointments, Messages and Tasks are all shown on the "homescreen" which update themselves faultlessly.

Call quality is excellent, and the speakerphone works a treat (SPV's break up on speakerphone)

Music resumes playback after you have finished on a call!

The headset answers AND ends the call (even using my SPV's headphones!)

I can back up my P900 to my PC, and choose which date I want to restore it to!

Sony Ericsson have just released the 3rd firmware update which works without hitches, and allows you to restore your phone once updated :!:

I still love my E200, (for the few hours a day it's battery lasts) but Microsoft should really have put more thought and care into their OS, and whatever Symbian haters try and tell you, their UIQ OS is more logical, faster, more stable and better supported :!:

Guest drblow

Hmmm ... so most people so far WOULD stay with an Orange device, if the build quality is addressed [EDIT - although les sthan 20% of people say they would buy another without any problems!].

Have to say the results are quite different from what I expected - I guess thats the reason for doing polls like this!! Odd really, given that most of the actual comments made have been pretty negative. :shock:

I personally agree with what Will said earlier - I have no brand specific ties, & will go with whatever suits my needs at the time. I also happen to feel the same way about the SPV, in that I know how to fix it (with a little help from modaco! :wink: ). However, as long as a potential new phone would be supported at modaco, I would have no qualms about taking it in preference to an Orange/HTC model.

It is a complete enigma to me ATM. There have been so many great new things released over the past few weeks - RemyJ's excellent collection of plugins, the Oxios tasks plugin, Mr. Magoo's font changer - to name but a few! All of which have been released to the modaco community free!! The smartphone platform itself seems to attract a lot of keen developers, who are willing to spend a great many hours over tweaks, apps & homescreens, which are then released to Joe public for free. It's the great sense of community about smartphone that keeps me hooked! Obviously that is in the main part due to the excellent forum we have here - and the dedication of its members/moderators (I applaud you all!! :) ). It's just a shame that there are so many problems with the actual devices on the market. I know the OS has its share of problems, but obviously people are dead keen on working with it, & it's potential is still being realised.

I wonder is anybody at Orange taking any interest in this thread? I wouldn't be suprised to find that they are not. I know modaco is the biggest smartphone forum on the web (I joined at about 3500 members, its now about 35000!! :shock: ), so surely it would be fair to say that the opinions voiced here are representative of the smartphone buying public in general (or is it? does anybody know any stats about how many smartphones were sold in the UK even last year? are there still poor, lonely SPV users out there who don't know about modaco?).

And as for "official" Orange presence on the forum, Mr. O has been again conspicuous by his absence from this thread & others. Hardly suprising given that we are all just slagging off his comany & phones - but you would think that somebody at O would care even slightly. That a bunch of users were publicly slagging their products off, talking about & contacting consumer affairs programmes, and in the end, putting off other people form buying the products. Maybe we're just a few loud voices, eh?? And all we're really doing is whinging to each other?

I guess when the update comes out, we will get a bit more evidence about whether or not Orange is listening/is prepared to take up the challenge of making these phones as good as they could be.

Guest morpheus2702

I think the real test will be in what new products appear from Orange.

At the moment, Orange are the mainstay of the MS Smartphone in the UK (have you seen a MPx200 reviewed on another network?). That is going to change immensely, with MS smartphones available to all networks from many different manufacturers.

The Orange brand has been OK up to now as hey, if you wanted a MS smartphone, where else would you go? But again, as more recognised manufacturers bring out their smartphones, Orange could find they are perceived as a 'non-brand'.

The only way to avoid this is by bringing out phenomonally good handsets. Otherwise Orange can only expect to be the carrier for future products.

Guest midnight

i'd say there are around 400,000 Smartphones sold, probably more (SPV, Mitac, Motorola etc) , so really MoDaCo, while huge in its member base, is nowhere near the total number of Smartphone users out there.

Guest morpheus2702

I would guess:

a) A third got given a smartphone for work, and so long as they can make and receive calls, don't give a damn

:) A third didn't want the same Nokia as all their schoolfriends, as so long as they can send and receive SMSs, don't give a damn

c) A third didn't want the same Nokia as all their schoolfriends, but wish they had bought a Sony Ericsson instead

:wink: