Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Bad news guys, tried it on the way into work this morning. All it does is show you on the map where the cameras are, no warning :) unfortunately this means keeping an eye on the map :lol: but it is better than nothing though.

I'll keep on looking though.

Guest Dectomax

Time for Mapopolis to release a little patch me thinks to give an audible warning. If they do, i'll be buying the full version for sure. Can't be that hard for them. Come on Mapopolis get your finger out!! :)

It's party time!, at last the postie came with my clip on gps receiver, flippin 'eck it's tiny! :shock: But the clever little tinker knows where I live already :wink: , awwww! I'm getting quiet attached already, time to take the fella for a long walk methinks :lol: :)

Guest pbird49

Has anyone else found that either Mapopolis or the ROM update has slowed their E200 down to an absolute crawl?

I have only noticed it since actually adding the speed cameras data but iddnt think that would be the reason.

Guest AaronSoup

Anyone gonna try and make it warn you when you come up to a camera??? Surely there must be a way to use the road speed info and get the phone to tell you "slow down to xxMiles Per Hour...?????

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Working on it, I don't think that it is possible to make Mapopolis read the info back so I am hoping that by extending the tags I can make it come up with the special notice sound. Keep checking back :) .

As for the backlight I have been emailing Lamar at Mapopolis (really nice and helpful) and I have explained that even when you go to the power management and set the timeout to never it still goes out (I have posted workrounds for this) and it has been passed on to the developers so fingers crossed.

Guest mcwarre

The Maps are HUGE! I have all the UK (and UK roadmaps) and it has eaten up ~158MB of my storage card. How much are those 512MB SD cards again??

Guest Dectomax

Bring on that POI (speed camera) warning sound. Killer app.!! 8) Ordered my GPS unit. !! Just waiting for that implementation b4 i order the full version ............

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Mcwarre, I got my 512Mb card from this chap at Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Mfc...item=3804637098

Its a brand new factory sealed Kingston 512Mb card for approx £89 inc postage, came within a few days and it works a treat in my E100 and I have all the England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland maps on my card (dont load them into Mapopolis at the same time though).

Guest griffog
"]Unfortunately, I found the database to be pretty inaccurate with duplicate and incorrect entries... could probably be pretty comprehensively cleaned up with a group effort of Smartphone users though!

I think that's a little unfair, with 3000+ camera locations recorded you will always get innacuraices, users recording locations innacurately or temporary camera sites that have not been removed but it's a massive undertaking and we collate 600+ additions, deletions and modificatiosn each month, given that it's free its not that bad!!

Guest griffog
Do you guys have this in smaller chunks I.E. the same sort of area as Mapopolis maps so if we load West Midlands we can just use West Midlands cameras and if we load Cheshire we can use just Cheshire's cameras.

No sorry, it was designed for PocketPC users who don't have the same limits and it would be impractical to seperate as well as an admin nightmare to maintain! Curently we are working on breaking the locations down by speed limit, the PPC alert app can then use different warnings and alert you to the speed limit that is in force for that zone.

Guest griffog
There you go, thanks to the guys at Mapopolis for telling me where to find the conversion program, but here you go. All the UK saftey cameras in a Mapopolis file.

Save this to your phone and rescan, it uses a 'yellow lantern' icon (no facility to change it) and it seems ok.

As the data has been provided by PocketGPSWorld I should point out our Ts &Cs which do not permit its reproduction on any website or in any application in part or in full without the prior written authorisation of Pocket GPS World.

We have no problem with the useage of the data for this purpose but considering the huge amount of work that has gone into and continues to go into its production I think we are owed at least the courtesy of a request to resproduce it first?

Guest Dectomax

I think that's a little unfair, with 3000+ camera locations recorded you will always get innacuraices, users recording locations innacurately or temporary camera sites that have not been removed but it's a massive undertaking and we collate 600+ additions, deletions and modificatiosn each month, given that it's free its not that bad!!

I agree, I've yet to spot ANY innaccuracies (in my local area anyway.) When you consider a friend had a Road Angel with subscription and that would regularly miss camera's. At GBP 350.00 aswell. :shock: I think getting what appears to be a fairly accurate database for free is a bargain. !!

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Sorry Griffog, did not read the small print lets set the record straight for everyone.

If posting the converted database to this website has broken any rules then let me know and I will ask Paul to remove the post.

For anyone who has downloaded the overlay the data is compiled by PocketGPSWorld and without their hard work it would not have been possible.

Guest griffog

I've replied to you privately but for the benefit of forum users, we don't wish to appear heavy handed, all we ask is that the database is not posted on other sites.

In this case the answer is to provide instructions on how to convert to a format suitable for Mapopolis and a link to our webpage for the database download.

This way we can ensure the integrity of the original data and continue to grow and improve the database. If anyone has ammendments, additions or deletions to report, email cameras @ pocketgpsworld.com with either the GATSO ID for existing sites or Lat/Lon for new cameras. If you can also provide speed in force at that location and camera type, i.e. Gatso, Truvelo, Mobile Speed Trap we will capture this as well. 8)

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

To make life easier for everyone (the conversion is a tad tedious) and I am still working improvements.

When the next database update is available from the guys at PocketGPSWorld I will update and post this back to their site and leave a note here to let everyone know.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

All the maps are brokwn down into counties.

England, 61 counties

Scotland, 54 counties

Wales, 8 counties

Ireland, 26 counties

I live in Birmingham so I use the GBR_WEST MIDLANDSNGC map mainly this covers all of the West Mids area.

I paid for the maps and this then gives you the option to download all of England or Scotland whatever in one go (England is 88Mb)

But now I have a nice 512Mb card I have them all loaded.

Guest mcwarre

@ PT-1.

I have the Platinum version. You sign in then goto download maps, select your platform, where it says Western Europe select country (say England) click chose maps and you have a choice between Download Region Major Road Map / Download all county maps in region or individual county maps. Choose the Download Region Major Road Map and hey presto just a road map!

I agree, I've yet to spot ANY innaccuracies (in my local area anyway.) When you consider a friend had a Road Angel with subscription and that would regularly miss camera's. At GBP 350.00 aswell. :shock: I think getting what appears to be a fairly accurate database for free is a bargain. !!

I have a road angel and it has not once missed a camera. If its missing cameras it probably hasn't been updated recently from the road angel database. Anyhows, what would be really good is if you could link your road angel to your E200 thus having sat nav using the angels GPS and an effective way to spot cameras........

any ideas?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.