MPX200's STOCK ISSUE (ORANGE UK) - TRADING STANDARDS REPLY

Guest DJHope

Guest DJHope

Hi there,

The back button on my phone's directional pad is faulty and hardly ever works, so i have reported this to orange and they have diagnosed it as a fault. Apparently they still don't have any mpx200s in and offered me a nokia 7250i! No thanks want to keep a windows smartphone thanks, don't know why i got offered a nokia!??

Really love my MPX200 but getting very annoyed with this back button issue! :)

Got a reply on this issue from trading standards:

"Your rights lie in the Supply of Goods and Services Act, which implies a term of "satisfactory quality" into your contract.Since the phone was faulty, it was not of satisfactory quality and you have the right to a Like for like replacement. If the company cannot offer you an exact replacement, you may choose to acept an equivalent - you do not have to accept one which does not have the same main features as the original. if you cannot come to such an agreement with the company, you would have the right to cancel the whole contract."

Dave

Guest Charlie Mouse

I got given an e200 as a replacement for my MPX200 when the sim card tabs broke. I was told that it was the standard replacement. Dont know why they're trying to palm you off with a nokia.....

Guest scott2eyes

When my MPx got stuck at "Hello Moto", I took it back to the shop, where (after a bit of waiting around...) the assistant explained that it was probably me filling up the IPSM that forced it to crash (I thought it was from unlocking it and piling a load of software on it without resetting, but I didn't mention it...), did a hard reset on it which got it working again, pointed me in the direction of the Alphaflux unlock software, and gave me one of the SD cards that came with the E100.

On that basis, I would recommend going into an orange shop and dealing with someone who has actually had their hands on an MPx200 rather than someone who I presume is reading their part of the conversation off a computer screen...

Guest DJHope

Trust me guys i am sticking to my guns here, apprently the bloke on the phone told me that the 7250i has replaced "another phone" as the standard replacement for the MPX200!

I wonder what that other phone might be?? :wink:

Dave

Guest cicatriz

Since they don't have any more mpx200s in stock, ask them to take your phone back and 'repair and return' it. Not that they would of course.. I doubt anyone at Orange has actually used the phone, let alone can fix one.. but i'd like to hear their response for a laugh :)

Whatever you do, just keep on at them.. there's no way they can fob you off with a 7250i. There's no comparison, in quality or value. All the 'replacement' phones that appear to be on offer are shockingly uncomparable. Orange really don't understand what their phones can do.

They're probably rated as comparable cos "they're both pretty looking" :lol:

Guest DJHope

The thing is trading standards say they must give you a replacement of the same phone or one VERY similar, a 7250i IS NOT SIMILAR TO AN MPX200!

Dave

Guest MPXtricky

...Orange are not out of stock of the MPX200. The MK shop still has it on the display shelf (£49.95 with a contract I think). I asked one of them phone trainers and he told me there were plenty in the back room. Make a fuss. Insist they get you one delivered from another branch. If you get no joy, go in again on a Saturday when the shop is full of prospective buyers and make a very loud fuss. Grrrrrrr :evil:

Guest beersoft

Grrr!!!!

my tabs broke on my phone yesterday and the lovely people at orange wanted the charge me £300 for a replacement because i didn't know how they broke

and as they have no stock the 'replacement' phone still is the N7250i so i have happly refused 3 of them :)

orange need to workout what the story is and stick to it is it recalled/discontinued/out of stock/never on sale or what?

later

Owen

Guest MPXtricky

It's quite simple - they are too thin. The spring SIM connectors snapped them off. This happened to my old phone a while back and I only found out when I had to remove the battery (for first time since getting the phone) to do a hard reset. I got it replaced and wedged a tiny piece of an old SIM between the new SIM and the battery to hopefully lessen the strain on the tabs. I would read them the riot act if I were you mate. Under the Sale of Goods Act, your phone should be.....

Sold As Described, Fit for purpose And last a Reasonable Time. Remember it - SAD FART

If it does not meet the SAD FART criteria, you are quite within your rights to insist that it is replaced. Orange are obliged *by law* to respect this :!:

Guest cicatriz
Does the grinning idiot come free?

I'm not sure... but i'm sure there's a grinning idiot at Orange who decided after a night out on acid that the 7250i is of an equal standard :)

Guest DJHope

Managed to get the lady to give me an SPV E200 for 50 quid effectively as an upgrade, not sure how i managed to wangle that because im only 3 months into my contract, oh well i thought that was o.k. so decided to go for it, gonna try and get my MPX repaired under warranty!

Dave

Guest DJHope

I have orange care, but i was told that they wouldnt budge! I got offered a nokia 6600 today! Funny how it changes i bet tommrow itll be an SPV E200 no problems, Grrrrrr!

Rang up Motorola and they said they would fix the phone or send me a new one no problems, so as soon as i get my SPV E200 tommrow for 50 quid and get my MPX repaired ill have 2 beautful smartphones in working order!

Im pretty pleased about that, really wanted an SPV E200 for development, but didnt fancy carrying it around!

Dave

Guest DJHope

Orange suggested that i go to motorola to get the device repaired, a warranty is a warranty at the end of the day no matter who your network operator is!

Dave

Guest UKMadBeef

I've been farting about with Orange for over a month now. Still no MPx200's in stock... (original one bought just before christmas got nicked) They were offering me an E200 for a while - now the last two times I've rung them up, the "permanent replacement" is a Nokia 7250i. (oh, how I laughed) This is obviously a fairly recent change in policy.

Eventually (after the involvement of a supervisor and a number of calls) they sent me a SIM card to stick in one of my old phones until they get their act together on the MPx200's.

Bullshit.

I have basically lost all hope of ever getting another MPx200, yet they've already charged me £100 + monthly insurance for a phone I still don't have.

Guest DJHope

I cant understand how orange think that a nokia can replace a windows smartphone! Lets say for a moment you use software essential to your daily life that is only on a windows smartphone!! i'm sure this is an issue for trading standards and am very tempted to report it to them!

Does anyone know who exactly it is i have to speak to?

Dave

Guest beersoft

Ohh, acording to faults they have stock of the mpx in today

but they stil want me to pay £300 for a replacement because i don't know how my phone got broken

later

Owen

Guest MPXtricky
what 'tabs' do you mean?

even an emergency replacement would only cost £75 so how come they want to charge you £300?

He means the tabs that are supposed to hold the sim card in place (opposite the metal sliding one). You can just see the connector springs in the photo. The tabs are simply too weak to withstand these connector springs. It's not his fault - it's a flaw in the phone design. All MPX200 owners will eventually suffer the same fate - it's just a matter of time. You got one? take the battery out and see the strain your tabs are under... if you dare