Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Bonzo

Well tonite I thought I would download the update again and re-apply it one more time just in case for some bizarre reason I had got a corrupt download, (yeah I know highly doubtful that it would load up & run but just have something as silly as locking out on the SD card as a result), but worth a try... so I did... and I still have the SD card issue!!!

What puzzles me is that nato has managed to score a new handset from Orange & applied the update to have the same issues still present!!! So that got my ultra cynical hardware engineer attitude ticking over!!! I'm a recent convert to the E200, like two weeks ago as a replacement for my dead MPx... nato's new phone is the same so I'm wondering if somewhere along the line there has been a production change on the handsets??? And I'm wondering if it's just people with relatively new handsets that are suffering these issues and whether people with earlier handsets aren't!!!

Sounds like clutching at straws I know... hell it could still prove to be an issue with SD cards rather than handsets but either way there has to be a logical explanation right??? :)

Guest girlpantz

What is this ClearType view thing? Is it just a font pack? Surely the old Oorange can be reverted back to some way. And how blurry are we actually talking? I don't want to duff this phone up - not even had it a week yet, lol.

Guest Baddass
What is this ClearType view thing? Is it just a font pack? Surely the old Oorange can be reverted back to some way. And how blurry are we actually talking? I don't want to duff this phone up - not even had it a week yet, lol.

its not very blurry at all, i like it myslef........try installing the cleartype cab from the E200 section on the forums here and u get SOME idea of what it is like, although its not as "bold" on the update cleartype as with the seperate install availble...........but u can try it then uninstall it and compare (pre update) :)

Guest bikespod

there's nothing wrong with clear type. it was one of the first programs back on my phone after a reset. its not blurry, just smoothed edges to the letters instead of obvious pixels. try it on your computer if you are running windows xp, its in the appearance settings i think. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Just demanded another handset from orange as it has locked up 3 times today. Needless to say, I wont be updating the replacement. I will live with the battery life etc. I have logged this with orange though. One of the guys in data support is updating his handset now and is gonna contact me tomorrow if he gets any problems. I suggest even if you dont have orange care, that you ring and complain. This update has not been tested fully enough.Someone once asked on this forum why updates cannot be beta tested by people other than the Mods.I would say this update has begged the question once again. I simply do not believe enough thought has been given to it.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

oh and my original handset was one of the first to be released. I believe the problem is to do with the polling of the sd card and the new update. Its probably a certain type or maybe to do with shortcuts to files on the card. Time will tell i suppose!

Guest shadamehr

Let me clarify, as IMPARTIALLY as possible, the situation on the Cleartype Update...

It is, in my humblest of unbiased opinions, complete pants.

Aha, but before you start rushing to shoot me, let me quantify...

I have used Paul's EXCELLENT Clear Type Tweak, since the very first day I got my shiny new E200 way back in early Novermber 2003.

And it was excellent, once you adjusted to it.

The problem is, this NEW ClearType rendering as per the ROM update, not Paul's tweak, is MUCH TOO BOLD!

So its not ClearType per se that is a problem, it's Orange's implementation of it, as it were.

Oh, and of course coupled to the fact that before it was a CHOICE, now its a case of you WILL have it, and BY HELL YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!! (which by itself is bad enough on the part of Orange).

And many of you might think I'm not with it, but let me also mention that the DEFAULT font now looks quite good with the new ClearType.

BUT - all the new fonts we have been using since Mr Magoo's Font Changer came out - the vast majority of the narrower ones, that were great for space, and menus etc therefore, REALLY ARE unreadable now - and they WEREN'T BEFORE the ROM upgrade, or even using Paul's ClearType tweak.

So take it from a die hard Cleartype USER, that the new version of it stinks to high heaven!

Finally...

In fiddling with my phone, since the upgrade, I had taken the SIM out of my O2 XDA2 that I had recently got, that I had finally managed to configure for Orange.

In so doing, I forgot to replace the battery.

Consequently, it has now re-set (hard reset), and I have lost absolutely everything from it - including, most importantly of all, every single Orange connection setting that Level 3 support had finally managed to supply me with after lengthy phone calls.

So right now, the E200 ROM Update is the worst thing to have happened to me since I can't remember what.

What's better than a phone with half your data missing...?

Why TWO phones with your data missing of course!

Guest Bonzo

The old tweak allowed it to be swiched on or off... initial investigations by people here so far after the update points to the fact that the registry keys cannot be edited to turn it off... yet!!! :)

Guest adamsmith

Has anyone tried connecting a GPS device over bluetooth with the new update?

Also anyone know how to bond with something that has characters instead of numbers for the bonding password?

havent updated yet, if i do and it keeps locking up my phone will orange replace it seems quite good of them?

very scared of this cleartype thing !

Guest Simon Desser
I have used Paul's EXCELLENT Clear Type http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>tweak, since the very first day I got my shiny new E200 way back in early Novermber 2003.

And it was excellent, once you adjusted to it.

The problem is, this NEW ClearType rendering as per the ROM update, not Paul's http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>tweak, is MUCH TOO BOLD!

So its not ClearType per se that is a problem, it's Orange's implementation of it, as it were.

I really can't tell the difference :?

One of these is the new Orange one, the other is Paul & Midnights cab, they look identical to me :?:

(Unless Pauls tweak no longer works on the updated ROM?)

ClearType.gif

Guest londonlad

cleartype isnt really that bad, all it is, is that cleartype brings out the ugly-ness of the nina font. change the font, you'll like it a lot more.

oh yeah, getting used to the sound quality, anyone heard of an EQ app. that apparently can add bass?

i think the battery life is the same. but my e200 is definately slower that pre-update. i see the timer for nearly everything now, checking the battery monitor is getting to me. is there a homescreen plugin that shows the battery in percentage?

Guest badboy4life
is there a homescreen plugin that shows the battery in percentage?

I think there is, i remember seeing, one pretty sure it weren't freeware thou. Try a search.

Guest RussellH

I'm one of the people who sent my E200 back under the 14 day return policy, due to all the bugs. Been waiting for this update before deciding whether or not to get another one. Judging by the comments here, I think I'm gonna give up on it. Much as I like the phone, it sounds like there are still too many frustrations with it. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise, I think I'll wait until the Motorola MPX100 comes out. This time though, I'll wait to see what you guys think of it before I rush out and buy. Lesson learnt with E200.

Guest atonks

:) Have a look at the Portal page (and in "Main" I think ) for a nifty little app that turns off ClearType. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Rob.P
The problem is, this NEW ClearType rendering as per the ROM update, not Paul's tweak, is MUCH TOO BOLD!

Apply Paul and Midnights Cleartype tweak after you've done the update and then you'll know what bold is. I applied it after finding the Cleartype Orange have used in the update to be too skinny and weak for my crap eyes, so ran their cleartype tweak and it has come up a lot bolder and more readable (IMO)

Since the update, my phone's developed the "Bluetooth always comes on when the phone's switched on or comes out of flight mode" bug, which it never had before.

Can anyone remember if there was any way to stop this, have done a few searches but can't find anything.

Cheers

Ian

Guest DJHope

Im getting this SD Card problem too, try to load smartexplorer and it just hangs, take SD Card out for 10seconds reinsert and it works fine! Can't believe i only got this phone 5 minutes ago and its already pissing me off!

Surely orange should withdraw the update, this is quite a serious problem!

DJ Hope

Guest sgannon

I've had the SD card problem at least 7 times and I only installed the update last night. Tried running Clear Storage but that hasn't helped. It's a major bug that Orange will have to fix, or they'll end up replacing phones or reloading E200's with the old ROM. :)

I've still no regrets about installing the new ROM as it was virtually unusable for voice calls before. I think I'd glossed over quite how bad the sound quality was but when my wife used it to make a call she called it "crap" and borrowed a friends Nokia. The shame.. :oops:

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Since the update, my phone's developed the "Bluetooth always comes on when the phone's switched on or comes out of flight mode" bug, which it never had before.

Can anyone remember if there was any way to stop this, have done a few searches but can't find anything.

Cheers

Ian

I've got the original ROM, and mine switches BT on when going from Flight Mode to normal, howver, it never comes on when switching phone on.

Paul

As a beta tester any chance of speaking to orange about the issues? you must have contacts that can actually do something! sorry to say this but im glad you have now seen the problems and we are not going mad!

I am however still awaiting a call from tech support so watch this space...

Guest zabirp

I've not had a chance to try the update yet so could anyone tell me if they've added a forward/rewind buttons to WMP :?:

No?, didn't think so :evil:

Oh, & btw Paul i pinched your avatar, hope you don't mind :wink:

Guest Paul [MVP]

I have contacted the relevant O person, and await a response... I'm a bit gutted we didn't experience this one in our testing TBH...

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.