Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest DJHope

From what i can tell it seems that smaller SD cards such as the default orange 8mb one, dosnt have the lockup problem, well not as bad as the bigger ones! Maybe thats why they missed it during testing?!? Its unacceptbale though, and as for "Giving the user choice" thats complete bull i mean tell me how exactly i can remove this update short of getting a new phone from Orange?

Dave

Guest Rob.P
stupid orange for having a power cut and a fire!!

come on, thats hardly in their control is it?!?!

You miss my point, I know those sort of things are out of their control, it's not about that it's about how they deal with those sort of things during/after the event. My point more directly is that is always seems to be half-arsed with Orange, most things are an afterthought, when they should have been a forethought. Don't get me wrong I know Orange is not the only one at fault, but I don't own a mobile phone and have a 12 month contract with anyone else (yet).

Guest hotrodder

I did the upgrade on my dads phone a few days ago, and have lossed the ability to answer phone calls from my bluetooth in car handfree kit that was compatible before the upgrade :) . It was not a cheap unit and now im at a complete loss as my dads a lorry driver and uses his phone constantly while on the road. I did it for the extra battery, cos before he was getting only 12 hours and had moaned about this. I have been in touch with orange for help, but to no avail. anyone got any idea's? My mate's just brought an e200 and i told him not to update as its terrible. Is it possible that i can copy the old rom and if necassary os software from his phone and install it on my dad's? Is there any way to 'grab' the rom?

Guest shardy

Well I thought I'd put down my experiences post update as well, join in the 26-page marathon!

I'm actually pretty happy with the update so far, battery life is definitely extended, up to 50% higher than pre-update. I used the 8mb Orange SD card for a week after the update and didn't have a single problem, I've now been using a 256Mb Sandisk card for the past 24 hours and still have no problems (so far!). I've also not suffered from any lock-ups in the past week post-update, except when I tried to use PocketMVP briefly.

In terms of sound, on my phone the quality is far superior now, I can actually understand what people are saying to me now because it doesn't sound like I'm talking to a Barry White soundalike with a speach impediment any more! I've also asked people whether they can hear me OK and everyone has said yes so I'm not worried about the mic being too low. I do have an issue with the sound quality on video recordings, there is a lot of hissing that I am not pleased with, but I can put up with this as I don't use the video camera all that often.

I was having problems with very jerky video playback on PocketTV, which was rather annoying, but I've sorted this now with advice from FRiC. I was using the PocketTV TMPEG templates from their website (smartphone version), but it turns ot the screen size ratio is set too high on these. As soon as I customised the template with a screen ratio of 200x176 the video playback was fine. I'd advise all those people that have complained of "slideshow" like video playback to look at the screen resolution of their clips, it worked for me! I haven't had any problems with MP3 playback, but I admit that I don't use the phone for that purpose all that often.

Erm... let me rthink, what else... Oh yeah, cleartype, I said in an earlier post that I couldn't tell the difference between having cleartype on or off. Well, I was wrong! I used the French prog to turn Cleartype off then promptly realised how much I liked it so switched it straight back on. I then uninstalled the French prog because it seemed to randomly change all of my folder icons in the start menu!

These faults really do only seem to affect certain phones, so I am unsure as to the cause, and I'm not convinced it can be completely blamed on the ROM update. Is it not possible that other progs that were designed to run on the first ROM may not be completely compatible with the new one? It may be these other progs that are causing some of the problems. I've had this on my XP based PC a lot, you start getting random errors and eventually trace it back to a device or program you installed a while back that isn't quite compatible. It takes a while to trace it tho because the errors affect the whole operating system rather than the problem program! I'm no software developer, so I may be completely wrong about this, but I do know my way around a computer fairly well and I know this is the case for other 'PC' versions of Windows!

Well, I've gone on enough, it's given me a nice break from trying to convince venture capitalists to invest in pie-in-the-sky university spin-out companies :) Thanks for reading,

Sam

Guest spark303
From what i can tell it seems that smaller SD cards such as the default orange 8mb one, dosnt have the lockup problem, well not as bad as the bigger ones! Maybe thats why they missed it during testing?!?  

Dave

I've only got the default 8mb Orange SD card and after the update my phone was locking up so often that I transfered the few games/apps I've got onto the phone's memory and stuck the dummy card back in :)

:) Happy as a pig in s*** now I have received a replacement handset from Orange.

I will not be applying the update again!

Just to re-iterate my point again though....[beginning Of Rant] The ability to read from the SD card is probably as important as being able to make/receive a call for me. The ROM update has definitely changed the way the phone behaves, when this function is executed. I have had 2 replacement handsets now, and both handsets behaved sluggish and locked up etc after the update. This cannot be coincidence. With such a basic task as reading the SD card, I doubt if it was tested at all and even if it was...not enough!

Orange really do need to sort this out for future updates AND involve as many people as they can.

Oh yes - and when you apply Service Packs to Windows or PTF's to iSeries OS400 (operating system), Microsoft/IBM always provide a backout method. Why can't Orange do the same. If they cannot guarantee the update will improve minor bugs etc, they should either 'Not release' it or provide such a method in my opinion.[End Of Rant]

Anyway time to reinstall all those lovely Apps....Keep up the good work everyone !!!!!

Guest blewer

I'm having bluetooth problems too.

On outgoing calls no problem, but on incoming calls the headset will not bond??????????? An absolute pain in the arse.

The update is s*** now i have a fone that doesnot work, Bluetoth is still sit cant send a picture to my mates fone which all other bluetoth fones can do.

batery life ???? what battery life its still crap i have to charge up 1 or 2 a day.

Sound quality, why did i update my fone its now imposible to hear ppl, u have to be indoors and in a quiet room.

and my free keyboard i got from orange now does not work

all in all orange u have screwed up !!!!!!!!!!!!! glad i dont work for them any more id give them so much hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest flobble
and my free keyboard i got from orange now does not work

i get this as well i tryed 2 download the keyboard drivers and it comes up saying i need 2 get the latest OS from orange when i have done the update but i have never had phone lock up sd card probs useing a 128mb lexar sd card and my plantronics BT device works ok as well. but wot is wrong with the keyboard drivers :)

Guest drblow

this is a joke! after a few days i have now developed frequent lock ups & the sleeping sd card bug! how is that done? how can it be ok 1 minute & broke the next? Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Simon Desser

Last week I said:-

I know I've been a bit negative so far :oops:  

but, one bit of good news - "All Day Events" now seem to update from one day to the next correctly :)  :lol:  :lol:

I would just like to apologise for making the above rash statement :oops:

I was wrong - OF COURSE IT'S NOT BEEN BLOODY FIXED :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hi all,

One other thing i forget to ask those who have updated their phones.

I have noticed that in the pre-update phone, you cannot store ringtones on the SD Card, I wonder if the update allows this now. Cause in the Original SPV (which I used to own before the E200 and am still a proud owner of one!) The second update allowed ringtones to be Stored on the root of the 'Storage Card' folder, which would then show up in the ringtones list in the sound settings.

Could any one please check and update.

Thx

Guest atonks
this is a joke! after a few days i have now developed frequent lock ups & the sleeping sd card bug! how is that done? how can it be ok 1 minute & broke the next? Posted from my SmartPhone!

Mine's the same. It was knackered straight after the update, the after the Clear Storage thingy it was OK for a few days, now it's getting worse. It locks up a few times a day, and loses the SD card a few times too. It's going down hill.

Still nothing from Mr Orange....? :roll:

Guest Pondrew

At the time he was introduced, weren't we told Mr Orange was Orange's new handset representative or something like that?

My E200s locked up again today. Just had to pop the sd card out and in again to bring it back. Wierd fault... :?

i havent had the card fault yet though im using a 16 meg mmc card in mine. battery life is still s***, i think it takes longer to charge as well seemed to take forever to charge from flat battery today. finished charging at 4pm and im down a notch all rdy, and i have NOT used it at all. sound qualty is s*** in calls ive heard there is a program in development to put bass back in etc is this true ?????

Guest Bumfluff

Anyone else having problems with the Keyboard driver since the update? When I try to install it I get a message saying that I need a newer ROM version and to check the Orange website

Guest bikespod

ok i thought everyone was having a bit of a moan, as my phone seemed fine post update, the very quiet in call volume aside. however i cannot get bluetooth active sync to work at all now, and sms is now doing weird things with missing words again. no crashes or sd card problems tho.Posted from my SmartPhone!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.