Microsoft's Pocket Streets on Samsung i600

Guest harriscohen

Guest daverusso

I could not get it to work. I recently purchased

Streets & Trips 2004 and it comes with Pocket Streets. I went through setup and it acted like it was loading but it doesn't appear on the phone. It might be that the Pocket Streets is not compatible with Smartphone 2002.

By the way, where is Smartphone 2003? I see there is a second edition coming out.

Guest nickcornaglia

Dave:

The pocketStreets that comes with Streets and Trips is for the PocketPC...not the smartphone. ActiveSync will try to load it but fail as it is meant for a different OS.

The smartphone version was released yesterday, and will work on the i600 with no problems. See the news section for the link to download.

Guest mark_k

mapquest has a site for wap devices. I use it I can get directions and maps. It's free. just have to pay for air time.

Can someone compare these two for me please?

You can find the site by going to IE Favorites on you phone select Smartphone Web Guide. There are a lot of good sites there.

Guest greenmozart
The pocketStreets that comes with Streets and Trips is for the PocketPC...not the smartphone.

Does this mean that people who purchase S&T 2004 will have to buy the Smartphone version separately? That really sucks. I was thinking of getting S&T 2004 so I could easily map my contacts and calendar items in Pocket Streets on my Smartphone. I don't want to have to buy BOTH for this functionality. :evil:

Guest daverusso

That's right. Now I have gone ahead and purchased Pocket Streets for Smartphone and can't get my I600 to recognize it's there. I have removed it and reinstalled a couple times with no luck.

Forget about any help from Microsoft. The're free installation support does not amount to anything. They reccomend either spending $35 for additional support or contact the Samsung. Samsung wasn't any help either. So I wasted an hour and a half back on the phone with Microsoft. They were helpless.

Guest nickcornaglia

Try deleting the PocketPC version off of the PC as well by going to Add/Remove Programs on your PC Control Panel. Delete both then reinstall again....maybe it's getting confused by using some of the same libraries. Just guessing......

Guest ChadinDC

I can't get it to work either. Uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted the phone. No dice. I saw that you had to download a map to your My Documents folder first on the phone -- did that -- tried opening it using the file explorer -- said there was no application, so it's just not installing. I downloaded it of fthe Handango site....

Guest daverusso

I have contacted Handango by email. It took a few days for them to respond basically to ask a few more questions. I answered last Saturday with no response yet.

Guest tcwatkins

Someone on another forum was having similar problems. Turns out they forgot to install the unlock update again after a hard reset. Try that and see what happens.

• 1 month later...
Guest bartio1975

Any one have anyluck?

I tried to install it with Active Sync. Didnt work. I coudn't see the app shortcut in the start menu. I tried browsing it in the folders.. Its not there. Then I went to IPSM/Windows/AppMgr/Install folder and clicked on the .cab file manually. It looked it like it installed for a second, but actually no!

I removed the files from the Install dir and uninstalled form my pc as well and redid everything.. But didnt help! I have installed PacMan, Smartris, PHM registry editor without any problems. So we can rule out permissions to install apps right?

I'm confused! I thought it will be cool to take maps on my phone! But..

I noticed that the XML file that is in the Install folder is not exactly correct in terms of tags? Can someone tell me if that could be a problem? Please look at attached file.

• 1 month later...
Guest mikeas4

If you have previously tried to installed the Pocket PC version of streets you will need to hard reset your phone before the SmartPhone version will install.If you have previously tried to installed the Pocket PC version of streets you will need to hard reset your phone before the SmartPhone version will install.If you have previously tried to install the Pocket PC version of streets you will need to hard reset your phone before the SmartPhone version will install. At least that's what VZW tech support had me do...