mobiles and gas stations

Guest kalinte

Guest kalinte

i did a final search with regards to the topic and found out that the danger that mobiles pose to gas station is in some wierd stroke of bad luck, your cellphone battery creates a spark that may cause combustion. but this, everyone, is rare to say the least and cannot even be reproduced in laboratory conditions. thus, mobile antena cuasing a spark is unfounded. And the whole gas station explosion thing from china is nothing but an URBAN LEGEND.

excerpts taken from the press release of motorola and the U.S Naval Safety Administration.

Guest pd.ryder

Glad someone got in the bit about Brainiacs!

Another "urban myth" - lit cigarettes set petrol alight. Complete pap. Petrol doesn't burn - it's vapour, however, does (doh). Throw a lit cigarette into a pan of petrol - sizzle - it goes out. Once again, you're up against fate, because IF there's a small gap in the tobacco and IF the paper around that gap just happens to flare just as it's thrown toward the petrol vapours... you can guess the rest.

Info supplied by a Fire & Rescue Service lecture.

By the way - anyone know what dobby-gobby-man is on about? I can't read a word of it.

Guest dinoalbert

@pd.ryder

dobby was doing some personal research/ experiment/ demonstration... lately he's been going to some gasoline stations for a number of times, making calls with his smartphone in the station to find out if the rumor is true....after a series of visits, he concluded that it is indeed an urban legend as he is still alive and kickin' :D

Guest Geeklord

My wife (who is frequently cautioned by gas station attendants regarding the use of cell phones in the vicinity of their gas pumps) asked me if there was any truth to this and at the time I didn't know the answer.

It did however got me curious enough to research it. Yes it is true that cell phones generate a spark when "in use". Yes it is also true that the gasoline vapors and not the liquid form is combustible (don't believe what you see in the movies). And yes it is true that spark + fumes + boom.

However, although they have not done formal research on the subject, they have studied cell phone use and blast (dynamite) sites. You might recall in any phone manual under caution that you should never use it near blast sites. this is because of the same principle: that your phone uses radio waves and all that science stuff.

The bottom line is, your phone needs to be 12 inches or closer to the conducting metal (gas tank--not the rest of the car) to give you a low probability of producing a spark. so if you're sitting at the back (note how most cars have their refueling line near near the back seat around shoulder level if you're sitting), or you're fairly close to any vehicle (doesn't have to be yours) better play it safe.

The no cell phone signs are just about as articulate a warning as the no smoking within 50 feet. It's not all true, but there is some truth to it.

Guest dobby_gobby_man

tol wag ka masyadong maniwala sa mga naSPAMsa mo sai nternet kasi hindi lahat yan totoo o kung saan saan lang. y dont you try it yourself by going to any gas stations and i assure you you'll be alive. and try bringing your SAP's cam and try taking a shot on those people who are smoking and using celphones or better yet ikaw na mismo gumawa para malaman mo kung ano nga ang totoo... mahirap kasi kung naSPAMsa lang or puro research lang try doing it para malaman mo. wag kang magalala kasi hindi mo na rin kailangang humingi sakin ng assurance or any written testaments kung sakaling may mangyari sayo dahil talagang WALANG mangyayari sayo! gets mo na? ako get ko ghehehehe basta try mo lang... kung gusto mo samahan pa kita para malaman mo. :wink:

kung bayantel ang gamit mo try mong tawagan ang directory assistance 114 then try asking the tel. number of the customer service of shell company or petron at tanungin mo sa kanila kung meron nabang insidenteng may sumabog na station nila dahil lang sa paggamit ng CP

try mo lang kung medyo ilang ka sa pagpunta mismo sa mga gas stations.. para naman mapatunayan mong hindi totoo yung nalalaman mo o nabasa mo sa mga articles. twice a week kasi akong dumadaan sa shell gas station fairview regalado street Q.C. para mag paload ng gas sa car ko and im always using my SAP phone at hindi parin ako namamatay! :wink:

Guest kalinte

ha ha ha ha ha ha. dobby i rented a place within a petron gas station

and i'm still here.

just to put the facts straight, its not hte radiowaves that causes the "possible spark" form a mobile nor is it th eantena (external or otherwise) but the battery. but then again your car produces far strongger sparks in your ignition key, SPARK plugs, alternator, starter to name a few. and look no explosions.

Guest dobby_gobby_man

Tama :D

kung marunong kayong kalasin yung sa susian ng kotse nyo para magstart, then try opening it and remove the metal cover then try nyong pagdikitin yung dalawang wire na nakakabit sa may susian, makikita nyo magsspark! o kung gusto nyo e pagdikitin nyo yung dalawang wire then idikit nyo sa balat nyo at malalaman nyo kung gaano kalakas yung current na dadalaw sa katawan mo.

syempre yung iba nagtatanong kung bakit ko sinasabi to... well just want to tell you all na mas delikado yung spark na nagagawa ng sasakyan kesa sa CP na hawak natin. naiintindihan nyo ba? :twisted:

Guest dinoalbert

parang masyado na yatang big deal tong topic na to ah...ano ba probema dito....kanya kanya nalang paniniwala wala namang problema eh! :evil:

pzee, ano advice mo... lock thread? :twisted:

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

ummm...mr. moderator buti pa cguro bago sumabog ang mga nagtutunggali dahil sa init ng ulo.

lets maintain camaraderie... not start a derby. :D

Guest bigmak

Have you ever thought about the energy being unloaded when you start you car? Or when a car arrives a the gas station? Or that a car radio uses more energy than a mobile phone? The possibility of sparks when a car starts seem more possible than sparks when a phone rings...

Guest mcwarre

Look. Let us stop the argument. I am a Chartered Communications Engineer. Mobiles + Gas Station = Dangerous Situation. End of conversation. A mobile is a *transmitter*. The power it generates is above the legal limit for use around explosives (dynamite and fuel). What else do you need to know/understand??????????????

Guest kalinte

actually the point of this thread that i started is to make a conscious effort to inform everybody that, yes mobiles and gas station doesnt mix right but the danger comes from the sparks that may be caused by the BATTERY and never the transmition from the antena. i'm not a rocket scientist i just did the reseach (U.S Naval Safety Board and motorola). so everything in place moderator you can now lock this thread.

Guest dobby_gobby_man

well bago to i lock tong thread may last na statement lang po ako...

MAPUA Student here... kinausap ko ang mga professor ng PHYSICS DEPT. at CHEMISTRY DEPT. and asked them about this mobile thingy and gas thingy and accident thingy... sabi nila hindi daw totoo... gawa gawa lang daw yung ganyang mga legends...

ngayon ko lang nalaman na mas kapanipaniwala pala ang theaory/research/speculations/ etc. kesa sa "ACTUAL EXPERIMENTATION AND A CLEAR CONCLUSION ABOUT THE EXPERIMENT" :D

parang walang kwenta pala ang mga tinuro sa Physics LAB at Chemistry LAB Subjects kung ganito lang pala. hehehe

ok P.MOD. lock mo na to :wink:

Guest dinoalbert

Okay but we have our own opinions and we may disagree but let us respect other people's opinions and decisions....we cant force everyone to believe our own opinion! There are those who believe in this and there are those who dont....what gives? No big deal.

btw, Im Mapuan too...but who cares??? Irrelevant.

Topic locked!

cheers!