Just inherited an AR11

Guest alanw

Guest alanw

I was visiting a friend at work in Redmond last week, and he rummaged through a desk drawer, pulled out a handset, and tossed it to me. He doesn't use it any more and I can have it. Great! He didn't know anything about what it was (he thought it was CDMA), or software version, or anything else for that matter.

It just says "SmartPhone" on the front, and on a sticker inside it says AR11 and Red-e. Also a big sticker with the Motorola logo that says "ENGINEERING SAMPLE NOT FOR SALE."

Looking at the About screen, I see it's running WM2003, but I think it's s different build and version than the one on the FTP site everyone is updating from. It says Version 4.20.1088 (Build 13126) and Radio Version 133.540.706. All the ROM update versions are the same, 4.20.13126.0. Here's what's different though - there is no Red-E logo, just the generic "Mobile Operator" logo at startup. And this one has fully-functional T9.

So now I have a couple of questions. I live in Europe, and the phone worked fine when I got it in the US but not at all here (I've tried SIMs form Vodafone and Amena). It just says "No Service". I'm guessing this has something to do with the gsm1900.bin file I saw in the other firmware floating around, but I can't find any reference or instructions for switching the thing to GSM900/1800 (though I am pretty sure it supports those bands, right?).

So, first question: how do I go about making the switch? Did I miss a key combo, or do I need to load a different ROM? Can I just switch the gsm ROM and keep everything else the same? If so, can I do this just using an SD card?

Next question: is it worth trying to re-update it with the Red-E firmware? I'd rather not lose T9 if I can help it and it seems to work OK but I don't know if there is something missing/improved with the Red-E stuff.

Last question: If I do need to update it, what's the best way? I got a charger but no sync cable and the docs make frequent and loud note of the need to use the RED sync cable. I figured I could just buy a generic USB-mini USB cable. Is there something special about the red one?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Guest markgamber

If it's GSM (as far as I know, that's the only kind there are of that brand), the ability to change bands is buried in the settings someplace, I've seen it on my 2003 phone. Unfortunately, my phone's dead and apparently I can't get it fixed so I can't be any more help than that. Do some digging and you should find it.

Per upgrading, I wouldn't bother unless you have some need that isn't being met by the current version on your phone. 2003 with T9 is a rarity, the version on their ftp doesn't have T9, and my phone is dead because of a flash gone bad, even after following directions to the letter. Finally, I don't believe you can upgrade at all without that red usb cable, so there's probably no point in worrying about it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Guest smeg36

To change the band, go to Start/Settings/Phone/Change Band. In there you can select either 1900 or 900/1800 Mhz. I sure with mine had T9, I miss it. Other than that, I really like this phone a lot (I came from a MPx200). The only other thing I don't like as much is the screen isn't as bright as it was on the MPx200. Out of curiosity, why do you need the red USB cable? I gave that one away and kept a different one I had that was longer, so I am wondering what the difference is really. The generic usb cable syncs fine.

Guest alanw

Thanks for the replies, guys.

My phone doesn't have the "Change band" menu option. I mailed everlink and I guess we'll see what they have to say.

Guest alanw

Well I took the plunge and decided to upgrade to the Everlink version.

I'm beginning to wonder if this thing is even the same phone. The key combos don't work, and the behavior of the update is different from what is described in the docs.

For example, if there is an SD card in the handset when it's turned on, the boot screen says, "SD card detected. Flash image?" Saying yes shows the green progress bar zooming across for about 5 seconds, then it starts up with the same version.

Email support from Everlink is astoundingly unable to comprehend simple questions.

Maybe I should just mail this thing to them.

Guest markgamber

Yeah, Everlink support is pretty pathetic. They did eventually get back to me and their (his....I think it's just one guy) response was that if I mail the phone to Singapore and pay $26, they'll run diagnostics on the phone and let me know how much it'll cost to actually put in the 10 minutes it would take to fix it. Unfortunately, I think they were serious so I got a new Mitac 8390 and tossed the everlink. It's a shame, I really liked the phone but man, with support like that, why bother?

• 1 year later...
Guest fluffcat1
Well

Does it have WM2003 Original or SE.

I doubt you'll get a reply from the o.p 2 years later, but as standard it shipped witn wm2002 and Everlink provided a wm2003 upgrade. To help with your further research on google, it's known as Compal AR-11 / Red E SC1100.

Richard