mpx220 Confirmed by Motorola

Guest mattscholey

Guest mattscholey

Hi,

After questioning Motorola's UK Cellular Response Center about the mpx220, by email, I received this reply, which confirms that the mpx220 is "in the making". The email reads:

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Motorola.

The Motorola MPx220 is indeed in the making. This clamshell phone will have a built-in digital camera and a lot of other features to lkook forward to. No release date has been set yet, though we recommend you keep an eye on our website www.hellomoto.com for updates.

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to

contact us again.

Motorola Cellular Response Centre (UK)

Despite no official announcement being made yet, it seems that we will be seeing this device in the UK shortly. I can't wait!

Matt

Guest squall

agreed, however i dont think they would go on record saying it is to be launched, without being certain that it is to be. People have lost there jobs for less!

Guest squall

The release date isnt key here. For months there have been rumours the device would not be launched. Im just pleased that it looks like it will be :D

Guest ratcom

Well I just hope this news is true, because if like myself you dont like candy bar type phones theres not really a option come upgrade time :cry:

Guest Paul [MVP]

I'm sure the MPx220 will be released, although nobody from Moto or MS will comment on 'unannounced handsets', i'm just very surprised that someone in customer service would put it in writing.

When will it be released? That I don't know :D

P

Guest mattscholey

I was very suprised too when I got the email - I was expecting to get the usual "Motorola is planning new handsets but no details are available just yet" or something along those lines.

Why don't you try yourself. I went to motorola.co.uk, clicked on various 'contact us' links, until I got a form going to the right sort of place. My email to them read:

Customer (Matt) - 04/11/2004 02:20 PM

Hi,

Does Motorola have any plans to release a clamshell smartphone, with a built-in camera?  I have heard rumours of this handset, called the mpx220, and I would like to know if these rumours are true.  I am planning to upgrade to a phone with these features, and if Motorola have no plans to release one, then I will buy the Mitac Mio 8390, which has all these features.

Thank-you for your time,

Matt

I don't know if my mention of the 8390 was significant in the response i got. I read someone else saying that they'd got an email from canadian moto about it, in the topic about the mx220 flash movie (which is now removed).

I can reply if you have any further questions? Or you could try yourself. Here are the details about who I sent it to, that appeared at the bottom of my reply:

Question Reference No040411-000076

---------------------------------------------------------------

Product: Phones

Sub-product: MPx200

Category: Features & Capabilities

Subcategory: Technical Specifications

Contact Information: removed

Date Created: 04/11/2004 02:20 PM

Last Updated: 04/12/2004 11:12 AM

IMEI Number:  

MSN :  

Also surprising is the speed of the reply, over a bank holiday weekend. I only sent the email yesterday!

Matt

PS. Nice to see me hitting the headlines!

Edited by mattscholey

Guest mattscholey

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I've just sent this to them:

Hi.  Many thanks for such a quick response - the mpx220 sounds like just the phone I've been waiting for.  Do you know if it will be a Microsoft Windows Smartphone, and will it be running the newer 2003 version (as the mpx200 runs an older version I think)?  Also, will it have Bluetooth, or even Wi-fi, and do you know the dimensions of the handset?  If you have any other specifications for the handset, it would be great if you could send them to me.

Will post a response if I get one.

Matt

If this is true and it does in fact come to the UK, I'm SO going to buy it and I know about 20 people who will too. (OK, so 20's a bit much, but hey!)

Guest Vinkel

Hey all.. I went into a an Orange shop in DK (Aarhus) and asked if they knew anything about a MPx100, they didnt but they could tell me that that they were going to get a MPx220 but they didnt know when but she thought it would be in less than 2months...

cheers

Guest midnight

i dont know how someone can know more about a phone that hasnt been announced than one that has been announced, makes no sense at all (especially as most shop reps ive talked to dont even know the e200 exists) :D

Guest ratcom

I agree with you midnight it doesn’t make sense however I am surprised that moto have chose to discontinue with a clamshell smartphone after the success of the mpx200??! What I am asking myself is does moto have a history of surprising us with new handsets or is every handset they have released been announced well in advance?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
i dont know how someone can know more about a phone that hasnt been announced than one that has been announced, makes no sense at all (especially as most shop reps ive talked to dont even know the e200 exists) :D

Someone that doesn't know about a released phone is just stupid. Someone that knows a lot about an unnanounced phone didnt get the memo to keep schtum ;)

I reckon someones in for some rapped knuckles for this hehe.

Guest midnight

hehe, yup indeed, and posting the full details on modaco wont have helped things ;)

lets just hope they do bring this phone out eh :D

Guest sprouts42

Last I heard moto were going to release the MPX100. I can't find any reference to the MPX220 anywhere. The MPX100 is a candy bar phone, I know that much.

Guest midnight

mpx100 and MPx are still being released, this is another phone that hasnt been officially announced, but photos have been leaked/found, and moto themselves made reference to it a long time ago (mpx100, mpx220 and mpx300)

the mpx220 is flip phone with camera+flash, other than that, not much is known