Smartphone App/Game, You Decide!

Guest Brody

Guest Brody

So as I approach the end of my MSc Computer Science degree i have to do a final project over the summer, this is where you guys come in! Help me to decide what to make! I'm undecided on exactly what to develop, please bear in mind that it will be a three month project so don't suggest anything unfeasible!

Any ideas?

:D

Guest beersoft

Choices, choices :D

i would do a homescreen preview thingy for the desktop

or

a driving/platform game

or you can complete the ChrisJMulator

later

Owen

Guest ChrisJM

well, IMO there are not enough simple arcade games like asteroids! here are a few suggestions for a Game:

Asteroids

Donkey Kong

Mario Bros.

Galaxian

:D

Guest Vector

hmmm :D

i would go for the desktop homescreen designer....or...a word/excel editor ;)

i know we have the ability to view the documents but not edit them as yet, and i would like this ability :lol:

Guest crafty

What i'd love is a new camera app for the E200 that allows you to record in .3GP format plus the option to send via MMS. Having no programming knowlege whatsoever i'm not sure if this is outside the scope of your project.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing though!

Guest drblow

homescreen designer, ooh yeah! but a proper one, mind! most other efforts have been good for beginners, but not very interesting otherwise. i reckon a much better idea would be a homescreen plugin for displaying notes! so you could see notes, lists, whatever, on screen, & 1 click to a notepad app. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest PritenC

Since you are talking about homescreen plugins, howabout a plugin that tells you if the sd card is "inserted" to rectify the problem of when the phone wont read the SD card.

I'm not sure if this happens to everyone, but sometimes the phone forgets the SD card is there even with a fully charged battery. it comes up with an error that it can't find a shortcut until you remove and reinsert the card.

It would be even better if it would programmatically "remove" and "reinsert" the card (like the app for the e200 thats available here on modaco).

This is really irratating because I have the ringtones on the SD card and when it "forgets" the card, it returns to the original ringtone (which i cant here!)

Any thoughts?

Guest Disco Stu

My vote goes to the Desktop Homescreen designer unless you fancy taking on the 'One Click' font installer :idea:

Perhaps a desktop app to rewrite the registry and load new fonts ?

Guest Palindrome

Um... How about an multi-functional alarm app. The only alarm app I can remember that's available at the moment only works on 2002 (Sunnysoft? My memory fails me).

It could include features like:

Multiple alarm times

Custom sounds for each alarm (including your fav mp3 song)

Snooze

Custom alarm ringing length (5 sec, 1 min, never ending etc.)

Automatically switching off the alarm on certain days (like the weekend)

Being able to stop the alarm by shouting at the phone (saves throwing it out the window :D )

Nice easy GUI with skins and the like.

Etc, etc.

Guest mattscholey

What MS Smartphone really needs is a decent music player. I don't know if thats too much for 3 months, but it's really needed (and I'd pay). I'd want something as easy to use as my iPod. No need to create playlists in notepad - it arranges albums and artists automatically. And support for a space-efficient format such as OGG or WMA (you could even try to get it to do the WMA playing bit in windows media, and the navigation and user-interface in your program). And the ability to select the next track whilst one is still playing.

Simple Tunes could have been this, but it only supports MP3, which means half the music on your SD must go.

And your program shouldn't have the ipod interface. It's not designed for a phone with buttons, and so isn't appropraite for it.

What do you think?

Matt

Guest Brody

I agree that there is still space for a definitive audio player but whether i'd have the time to write such an application or not is something i'm not sure of yet...

Guest mavisdavis

;) :lol: :P Home screen editor is my vote all the way. I ve tried untill my eyes bleed to get plugins to work and things to move around and in place :D ,,

maybe with additional app to homescreen location so i could select text messages then maybe an exel editor or even select the various alarm plugin:wink:

Guest aml

How about a simulation for the phone like a footy simulation. No, even better, an F1 simulation. What about your very own championship manager. heard rumours you're programming isn't too hot though!!!!

Guest Brody
heard rumours you're programming isn't too hot though!!!!

I'm guessing that aml is someone from my course who i wont name and shame :D Needless to say my Java programming rocks and will easily help me to code something for this project ;)

Ps. I would do the Championship Manager type game but its a bit easy really and one of the "other" **cough** aml **cough** students is doing it i believe :lol: Funnily enough we get our final Java programming coursework results back tomorrow! Lets hope i'm not as bad as the "rumours" :P

Guest Brody

Just so everyone knows, aml got 58 out of 60 and i got 50 out of 60! OK so he beat me but i'm happy with 83 percent, its a first! Come on! 58 out of 60 suggests cheating to me! :D Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Madkatz
Um... How about an multi-functional alarm app. The only alarm app I can remember that's available at the moment only works on 2002 (Sunnysoft? My memory fails me).

It could include features like:

Multiple alarm times

Custom sounds for each alarm (including your fav mp3 song)

Snooze

Custom alarm ringing length (5 sec, 1 min, never ending etc.)

Automatically switching off the alarm on certain days (like the weekend)

Being able to stop the alarm by shouting at the phone (saves throwing it out the window :D )

Nice easy GUI with skins and the like.

Etc, etc.

this one please! ^^^^

Guest Palindrome

We can talk about scores and the like till the cows come home but lets face it, I don't see any posts called "Smartphone App/Game, You Decide!" from aml. Brody, you're putting your skills forward for the forum so you're the man in my book! :D

Guest Brody

Hehe, he's only kidding, its all light-hearted so relax, he's a mate! :D Still, i'm starting to think about the alarm application...

Guest Vector

i am doing a homescreen again (first time for a while), and only just remembered how tedious doing the xml is, and i would LOVE a homescreen editor for the desktop :)