Homescreen for the Partially Sighted...

Guest mike_m

Guest mike_m

Has anyone designed a homescreen for the partially sighted.

I have turned the large font of accessability features on. I have also selected the large font homescreen, but although the text is big, it's bit bare and it would be helpful to have some large icons available, as well as telling you how many read/unread emails/sms/mms messages you have.

Any thoughts...

Regards,

Mike

Guest midnight

never designed a homescreen for the partially sighted, but i did work for a company doing websites for the partially sighted for several years (and i still do), when i get chance i can make a homescreen like this no worries

• 5 months later...

Partially sighted people would appreciate this. However this is complex and partially sighted has degrees of still see and not seeing. Also some partially sigted people sometimes don't see colors and/or have low contrast sight.

Therefore it might be a suggestion to have the lines selected or keys pressed to be spoken through the speaker.

This would really make these phones accessable.

Even to blind people I may add.

Guest midnight

unfortunatley what you are suggesting would have to be implemented at an OS level, so its up to Microsoft to provide that type of functionality (although, my fembot keypad speech does help a little). The phone really needs to add speech synthesis and 'full' speach recognition to do this, and so its a pretty heavy rewrite, and i doubt its on the list as a priority (if at all). The RNIB sell phones and PDA's to the blind and partially sighted.

You are more than probably right. So lets keep it at that. I hope that phone and software developers are reading these forums for if you ask me, once you can get wapping and bluetooth and agenda and camera and a dozen other things in a tiny volume as a nowadays cell phone. You certainly must be able to find a space for a voice. I am not speaking major recognition yet. Just what's on the screen and which buttons are pushed or which menu choice your at.

I know the societies for the blind and specialized companies sell these, but you should see the cost of these thing. Something with the capapblities of a Nokia 3310 with speach costs 3 times the price of an expensive SPV 200. If that was to be standard issue, the cost would certainly go down -Bigtime.

As mentioned before no need to start a thread on this, lets leave it to the future engineers to find solutions to such problems.

Guest mavisdavis

I've made a homescreen for my friend who's partially sighted. it suits his needs so i'll post it when i get home. the calendar is messed up due to the colour scheme so i could change it if needed.he doesn't use the calendar so thats fine.Posted from my SmartPhone!

Bold.zip