EXCLUSIVE: Orange SPV C500 / HTC Typhoon

Guest midnight

Guest pierre

It looks like an unexpansive smartphone for Mr (or Mrs.) Everybody. If so, it will not be equipped with all the technology like Bluetooth, Wifi, Megapixel cam, etc...

Guest Dumdidum
engadget have already nicked this image and 'scrubbed' the modaco watermark! some people! :shock:

They took the picture from Simone Desser...

Guest nickcornaglia
If the dimensions are correct, then the image is not in the correct ratio. Here's a picture showing them side by side, with the correct one on the right.

Whilst it's not a massive difference, it does make the phone look a little less "wide"  :)

is the one on the right thinner? I cant tell.

Guest Crispy

Hmmm, the phone looks rather crappy to me ... and if the asumed specs are correct it would appear that it will suck featurewise too ... Why on earth would they launch a thing like that? ... and give it a higher version number too ... :?

Could they really be aiming at nontechies? :shock:

Guest Dumdidum

Perhaps to satisfy the mass-market with a low-cost product!

Would be nice if there would be a low-cost smartphone with WM2003, so it would become more popular!

Orange are considering it under our range at the moment apparently, i've got quite a bit more information about it at work but not sure if its allowed to be disclosed. I'll make a few more enquiries...

Guest midnight

the engadget thing is even worse, they credit mswhatsisface as the source (who by the way made no mention of MoDaCo (as usual) in his news article)

as for the screen, yes, it was photoshopped on, another form of watermarking (especially if theiving gits are still gonna remove the modaco url etc and STILL not credit correct sources), but the device will be WM2K3SE :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

BTW, the practice of not revealing sources is commonplace to protect those sources.

MoDaCo look after their sources to the very furthest extent, but the fact this is posted as news on MoDaCo should indicate it's credibility :)

P

Guest paulosman

I have to agree. If thats the final design, (which I very much hope it isn't) then I certainly wont be buying one. Even if it has features up the wazoo... its a rotten looking phone. All 3 previously released SPV's look much, much better than that.

It looks like the whole phone was made in photoshop, what with all the bevelled buttons and such. Sorry to be pesimistic, but I think a lot of people would be very put off if its released looking like something from a cheap rip-off of the matrix :)

PS. Midnight, what theme is that you have running on your screen dude, it looks interesting...

Guest paulosman

Cheers Paul.

I thought I'd seen the metallic-ness somewhere recently. I meant to look further into that post but got sidetracked... as I seem to often do on MoDaCo :)

If it wasn't so damn useful and entertaining I'd say there was TOO much information here. But like I say, damn useful and entertaining.

Keep up the good work fellas.

Guest yoos

I would say that to the public MoDaCo is the source and I personally trust that MoDaCo will only post what they believe to be reliable from their sources and will have disclaimers on things they aren't too sure about...

Oh yea, and my personal opinion FWIW is that I need an 9 way joystick, bluetooth, and camera before I buy another new smartphone... That navigation thing looks pretty ugly too...

Guest lutzh

thanks alot for the news. i've contacted a friend at a non uk carrier and can confirm the existence of the phone and the fact that it looks like seen on modaco. also it will be in carriers hand by the end of the week so it will be out around the summer. more infos soon....

BUT anyway: i wont change my mind about my next phone. it will be a motorola, called mpx220. i am tired of the htc experience...

cheers, lutz

Guest kyrkesmith

I'm inclined to agree about the MPx220. However, I feel I might be able to be tempted if this phone is a decent size, has all the features of the 220, plus the FM radio.

It's really good to see an FM radio making an appearance - hopefully this will become standard. How long till DAB?

Guest Y-Wing

This is what has been made available to Orange CS:

Size :: 108 x 46 x 18 mm

Weight :: 100g

Standby :: 150 hrs

Talk :: 3 to 5 hrs

Charging :: tbc

Memories :: 200 SIM - 64mb Phone

Java Midp 2.0

GPRS (Class 10)

Wap

Infra Red

Polyphonic Ringtones

FM Radio

MP3

Launch is expected during July, though this is subject to change

Guest www.msmobiles.com
the engadget thing is even worse, they credit mswhatsisface as the source (who by the way made no mention of MoDaCo (as usual) in his news article)

Engadget has credited Modaco with a link to Modaco, so they mention Modaco big time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.