EXCLUSIVE: Orange SPV C500 / HTC Typhoon

Guest midnight

Guest shadamehr
If this phone is to be aimed at the "yoof" market then Bluetooth and a cam is a must.

Yesterday when i was crawling back to my car after getting stuck on yet another non-aircondition new Virgin Pendolino train on the way back from work - i saw a schoolgirl sitting reading (!) with an MPx200 sitting by her side.

Er, not being crass, or too inappropriate, but how did you spot the mpx200...?

Was she not very pretty like? I reckon I would have missed it *lol*

:wink:

Guest Jakob
The lack of BT makes that statement quite impossible, by very nature of definition

Who says that it wont´t be having BT. We just don´t know.

Neither did we know about the camera, but obviously the thing has got a camera.

And release date: July 2004 - naahh; I think they´ll wait until August, maybe even September, because the market is better after the summer.

/Jakob

Guest Taoski
Er, not being crass, or too inappropriate, but how did you spot the mpx200...?

Was she not very pretty like?  I reckon I would have missed it *lol*

:wink:

Hey hey!

She was only like.... 14!

I might be married ... but i do have standards!! :)

Guest Exodia

My god, that phone is hideous!

Im sorry, but i dont think any person, young or old, would be interested in such an ugly phone.

Absolutely hideous.

Guest mantrac
My god, that phone is hideous!

Im sorry, but i dont think any person, young or old, would be interested in such an ugly phone.

Absolutely hideous.

Erm... Can't stop thinking that this picture is really just a very bad Photoshop job... Everything looks entirely fake!! And what's the story with that shiny modaco gui on it?? Surely Microsoft would never release any gui that looks like the one on the screen...?!

...but I'll also have to agree that even if the picture is a 3D rendering of a real design, it still looks pants!

As for features...

Nothing I've read so far impresses me...

The 7600 or P900 can do all the things this "futuristic and best SPV yet!" phone can do and they run Symbian which is much better supported software and firmware-wise, has far far less bugs and look a hell of a lot better than this potato... (bar the FM radio but not that big a selling point for me!)

Also, given the horrendous past of HTC, Micro$uck and Orange (hello Mr. Orange by the way! :) ) with endless very important bugs that still remain to be fixed, even if the C500 proves to be a super-amazing feature-packed phone, who would want one if it needs registry tweaks to work properly, looses SMS messages, has GPRS connectivity issues, its T9 is faulty and the video streaming is buggy (as is often the case with the two current SPVs)?

Guest kyrkesmith

It is a rendering, and as for the screen, Midnight's said that he dropped that in. Doesn't affect how genuine the rest of the image is.

Guest Sonicr360

And just think.... with a new smartphone its going to most likely need new accessories!

Cannot say I am looking forward to it, and I would suggest we wait for professional confirmation and photos and a so-called official release date.

Guest Hagakure

What we really want from this from this smartphone is the next stage in mobile graphics and Processors then all the rest will follow - e.g making a call taking a video and downloading your e-mail all at the same time.

It needs 2700G mobile graphics accelerator chip which can play back 640 x 480 video at 30fps from Windows Media, MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 sources. It also supports full-speed MPEG 2 playback at 720 x 480.

Accelerating both 2D and 3D graphics, the chip can process 150 million pixels per second in 2D mode and 944,000 polygons per second in 3D apps.

This is Intels new mobile graphics chip which partners next generation of its XScale processor family, as the PXA570.

So if you follow intels reference design then why follow their processor evolution also.

This Architecture will also support up to 4 Mega-Pixels Cameras and the architeture is far more efficient. So we might (I say might get some standby times that are usable).

Current smartphones are relying on software to do all the work which means the Processor is the bottleneck and power drain. The new architecture will have on chip applications which is more efficient.

We could be about to see something special...........

or just more of the same evolutionary not quite finished shiny gadgets.

Guest midnight

Erm... Can't stop thinking that this picture is really just a very bad Photoshop job... Everything looks entirely fake!! And what's the story with that shiny modaco gui on it?? Surely Microsoft would never release any gui that looks like the one on the screen...?!

...but I'll also have to agree that even if the picture is a 3D rendering of a real design, it still looks pants!

As for features...

Nothing I've read so far impresses me...

The 7600 or P900 can do all the things this "futuristic and best SPV yet!" phone can do and they run Symbian which is much better supported software and firmware-wise, has far far less bugs and look a hell of a lot better than this potato... (bar the FM radio but not that big a selling point for me!)

Also, given the horrendous past of HTC, Micro$uck and Orange (hello Mr. Orange by the way! :) ) with endless very important bugs that still remain to be fixed, even if the C500 proves to be a super-amazing feature-packed phone, who would want one if it needs registry http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>Tweaks to work properly, looses SMS messages, has GPRS connectivity issues, its T9 is faulty and the video streaming is buggy (as is often the case with the two current SPVs)?

so if you dont like microsoft why are you posting on a microsoft smartphone forum?

Guest midnight

screw intels new processor, OMAP2 is where the power is, 2 mill polys/sec, it uses powerVR basically, its a Sega Saturn in your hand :)

oh and supports up to 8mp cameras, and has really good power saving features, clock speeds from 300mhz to 1ghz

Guest lutzh

just my two cents for mister mantracs fabulouse p (like pee) 900 and 7600 as super best alternative to any faulty ms driven smartphone:

i just googled a second to find out some smaller issues with your beloved devices.

slight problem with my P900. the flip has gone totally doolally.  

some of the keys dont work at all, and pressing some returns very strange results. the "7" key in particular will produce a nice mixture of "7"'s, "#"s, "0"s, and "*"s in a random manor.

Can anyone please help.

I have tried to sync my titanium powerbook to my new p900 and no go through usb at all.  

I purchased today a usb bluetooth adapter and the bluetooth sees the phone and I can send files to it but isync still does not see the phone! What am I doing wrong!

anyone....

since i enter all my calendar entries on my p900, all the data were lost . the problem i think is in the isync rather than in the phone. there's no way i think to program isync so the data on the phone wont be affected.

Any with a P900 got this to work? It loading just on 50% of the screen and if type at down right hand of the screen it chraches every time.

Can't get it to take any pictures, keeps starting and doing nothing, have to exit and restart it seems to take a picture but cannot find any images.

There are times when I full charge my p900 overnight, the next day my p900's battery will drain so fast ( after 6 hours battery status becomes 40%) even without using it much (blutooth disabled, not using mp3, not playig games)....  

Does this occur to anyone of you?

I just found out new BT problem in my P900, well it happens only once in a while. Sometimes when I try to switch the BT on, the icon does not appear. And sometimes, when I want to switch it off, the icon remains there. Sometimes, I need to restart my P900, or even worse, I need to remove the battery.

I don't know whether I'm the only one experiencing this problem but, after

upgrading it to RB403, my P900 doesn't save the Summer time change and keeps

reseting the clock 1 hour behind every time I turn it off/on! What a pain!!!

hi everyone...i just bought a 7600 (the square phone) but i can't manage to transfer music to it. i did it once, but now i can't... i'm using Nokia Pc suite 6.0 on Win XP.  

my Pc detects the phone, but the program won't...what should i do?!??!

I got my 7600 and I can not access my 'go to' menu which I set it on the right menu button instead of the original browser function that 3 set from the factory. Whenever I try to access the 'go to' or personal shortcut function the phone switch itself off and come back on again after a while which really concern me. Is there anyway to cure this problem at all?

I don't know if it's just me who's experienced this problem but it's worth a mention anyway. I started having difficulty with the gallery on my 7600. Every time I would open it, a different folder would have no name and a blue question mark over it. I restored the factory settings several times but the problem wasn't solved.

I am using my Orange contract sim but I am struggling to get a signal. I believe it may have something to do with the phone currently using the UMTS network. I would like to use the GSM 900/1800 network but the option to switch networks in the phone is disabled. Any ideas??

need some help here. After i got the phone, i installed all softwares,but one thing that it might be problem is before i installed the usb driver.... ...After that i connected usb cable and everything was fine. I can transfer all pictures But the problem is I wanted to try the mp3 player function but when i did transfer the music file it could go through /sometime when the data was trasnfering my phone just restarted itself(but that happened in the first few times) After that the transfer indicator show like the data transfers for 4 bars(7%) and then it's just crash...so untill now i still can not transfer mp3 to the phone....

...and so on, i can do that for the rest of the day. seems like both devices have their problems too (or better said - the users of them). so you better shut up talking about "a better plattform". muhahahahah.

cheers, lutz

Guest Jakob

IMHO the best phone platform is the one that syncs the best with my laptop..

Which - until someone produces an iPhone (and I swap to PowerBook) - will be Windows Mobile..

/Jakob

Guest Taoski
until someone produces an iPhone

Now that i would like to see! Just for the design alone!

I bet they would sell loads! Just like the iPOD, which beats other devices on amounts sold - mainly due to the look of the device rather than the amount of features. (IMHO)

Sorry to go OT. :oops:

Guest mantrac

Thanks for showing us how to copy and paste off a million different paragraphs lutzh... :)

Of course all platforms have bugs and problems... All software has bugs so it's pointless even mentioning that...

The difference lies mostly in the quality of support and future upgrades...

...in value for money. In the ability to get more out of your existing handset without having to buy a new one every 6 months...

Since switching to a Symbian OS, I have had 4 different firmware upgrades within 3 months (!), all of which not only fixed existing bugs once and for all but also introduced exciting new features such as new video capture codecs, video streaming abilities, better HTML support, newer versions of Flash (what is Flash? you may ask, being an SPV user...) etc.

While using that SPV brick, I only had two firmware updates within a year and a half, both of which hardly fixed anything and introduced a whole load of other bugs...

I was also constantly told that an update was imminent as I'm sure every other member of this forum will tell you!

...and up to the time when I got rid of the damn thing, I was still often required to reboot the phone to get a GPRS connection, the phone's T9 would still not remember my words and more important, the phone would often take more than 5 seconds to respond to key presses or "forget" to wake up during phone calls...

So, the question is...

Do you buy a phone with a tight-locked OS that promises features and hardly functions reliably as a phone in the first place or go for an open standard that's widely adopted by the best part of the industry?

...and as for syncing to your PC data, you'll find that Symbian will do that just fine!

As a matter of fact, my Symbian phone has no problem dialling numbers that have spaces among them (because that's the way outlook stores them!) as opposed to my SPV which would require hacks to work with data from the same company's PIM software...

P.S. ...and I'll post on this forum as much as I like, regardless of whether I like Micro$uck or not... It would be a pretty boring forum if such debates weren't encouraged! But perhaps that's what you want??

Guest Pagemakers

Hmmmm, so it does exist then. Some people are gonna be eating their words :)

Much prefer a joystick to those awful looking scroll buttons though.

Guest Hagakure
screw intels new processor, OMAP2 is where the power is............

I totally agree I just thought that HTC would be going the Intel Route

Also anyone considered wether or not this may be a UMTS terminal, broadband in the hand!

Just a thought......

Guest midnight

nah, doubt it, HTC have always been fans of the TI processor for phones, as have Motorola while Mitac and Sagem have gone down the Intel route

Guest Phill2000star

Just to let you all know guys, this phone appeared on Orange's Intranet site a couple of weeks back. A couple of the features featured were with the pics of the handset. Here they are:-

Availablity

Pay Monthly

Pay As You Go

Stats

Size :: 108 x 46 x 18 mm

Weight :: 100g

Standby :: 150 hrs

Talk :: 3 to 5 hrs

Charging :: tbc

Memories :: 200 SIM - 64mb Phone

Features

Java Midp 2.0

GPRS (Class 10)

Wap

Infra Red

Polyphonic Ringtones

FM Radio

MP3

The handset didnt show a true screenshot either, but I have been told it IS running Wm2K3SE, hasn't got bluetooth. Basically this is an E100 with 64MB memory (Doesn't say if this is storage only!?)

I've also been told that it is a camera phone but this is supported by a camera attatchment, and not an internal device. The fact that is doesnt have an internal camera, and bluetooth makes me believe this is definately aimed at the youth market, hence the reason a lot of you have already stated this. The handset however is running Java, which is good news for developers, and users! The built in FM radio is also an added benefit. The keypad however is a 5way, but it looks like it will be very difficult to produce any kind of diagonal with it (Look at the width compared to height?!?!) so gamin is as silly as the E200 (With no diag!). As we have had no information of a handset which is much of an improvement to the E200 (In terms of more memory, faster CPU, battery, B/Tooth, internal camera etc) I can safely assume this isnt a replacement for the E200, but another handset to slip in between the existing range of the MPX200 and E20 that Orange currently sell.

I did however see on the site that the MPX220 has finally come up, meaning it is going to be available very very soon!!

Alot of this you may already know guys, and forgive me for not trawling through 8 pages of posts, but I've got my tea in the oven and a beer in a pint glass going warm. So this was a rushed post to let you know what i know, and I appologise for anything already repeated in previous posts!!

Take care guys!

Guest chucky.egg

I like it, but I do have reservations...

The SD card being under the battery will be a pain, unless you get a 1Gb card. Loads of money, but 1Gb would be sooooo nice (until the phone fries it like my E100 did).

Battery life... I just dont trust battery life reports any more. My E200 lasted almost a day. "Almost" is no bloody use to me at all.

More importantly though... I swore I'd never have another SPV variant after having two piece of sh1t E100 and E200s. A reliable handset is more important to me than having bells and whistles that may (or may not) work half the time.

I'll wait and see the first 3 months of posts about this after it comes out, but I might have to take out insurance that covers Acts of God, Acts of HTC, and Inaction of Orange

Guest kyrkesmith
I'll wait and see the first 3 months of posts about this after it comes out.

I agree with you. First impressions of the SPVs have always been really good, it seems. It's only after a few months that you start to notice a change of tune.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.