EXCLUSIVE: Orange SPV C500 / HTC Typhoon

Guest midnight

Guest lowbug

If that is only a headphone and USB cable at the bottom then business users will never user it.Wot no car kit? (ps, the reason nokia is so sucessful is for the most part they share car kit connections making H/F installs a thing of the past, htc can't do the same between the E100 and E200!!!) And lets be fair thats who the biggest market is for this product.. Found this on HTC as well....

All HTC products must undergo the most stringent tests. Our testing engineers evaluate if a product is built to proper specifications and always strive to exceed customer expectation for design quality

Our System Integration Test team will rigorously test software components to ensure the integrity of the user interface and functionality

To ensure design and component quality, HTC's Product Assurance team will perform comprehensive hardware testing under various simulated severe environments such as drop, vibration, extreme temperature and humidity.

MMmmmm don't believe the hype! It's bound to be another rushed to market untested bodge. I wish it well but i bet it's full of problems...

Prove me wrong HTC, My 6 year old could do with a smartphone... :)

Guest lowbug

"HTC is a world-leading ODM company that provides smart handheld product design and manufacturing service to our customers," says H.T. Cho, President of HTC Corporation. "We are very excited to be a strategic partner to Ericsson Mobile Platforms to integrate leading wireless 3G technology into our smart phones and wireless Pocket PCs. By adopting Ericsson Mobile Platforms' solution, we expect a fast time to market with advanced and reliable wireless products for our customers."

Hopefully they might make use of this technology in this new phone..?

Guest lowbug

Because they can't get the E200 one to work now! :lol: And it means if you invested in a car kit on the E200 you have to yet again rip the kit out to put yet another one in. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest StillHasSomeHair

For some forgettable reason I only discovered this site 6 weeks ago & I have only just got round to registering to put in my halfpennyworth having read all of this thread and the UPDATED: Photographs / Details of forthcoming C500 thread ... so Im not sure if i'm posting this in the right place to be seen - and I can't seem to find a thread about the MPx100 ...

Anyway - The Register came out with this yesterday or the day before this about the M1000 and this a few days later about the C500 and it ALL seems to have come direct from the chief pip in Orange ... and it intimates that the C500 has BT - whereas the other thread here at MoDaCo : UPDATED: Photographs / Details of forthcoming C500 confirms in pictures that the C500 has a camera too...

Now - I need to buy my and my colleagues mobile phones and associated contracts in bulk for business (where a Camera on a phone is considered a kiddie gimmick but has still been included on this phone for some reason) (If you want a decent picture you have to use a proper camera) and more problematically in "NDA territory" as a security risk, as are easily removable/changeable SD Cards and BlueTooth is simply a 'driving the car' enabler - not a data transfer tool.

Thankfully the C500 isn't a half arsed cross-brand clone of anything else (like the M1000 for which you'd DEFINATELY want to use BT 24/7 so as not to look like a fool holding a PDA to your head) and IMHO the C500 is the only phone coming to the market through Orange that isn't trying to be more than it should be. PDAs (and the P900) are too piddly and fiddly to be used as serious business machines. (Why else would they have invented the Tablet PC - because PDA's have no attachment for connection to projectors)

But your mobile phone - that is how anyone on the planet can contact YOU specifically - its better than any ID card. Wait until banks and mobile providers team up - it'll replace credit cards instantly - then we'll all have to use our phones to IR our C/C details directly into the till. PAYG Phones will then become the toys of under 18's - or over 18 bankrupts...

Meanwhile - Collecting your mail on the move without getting your laptop (mine is a VAIO PCG-Z1XSP) out is the name of the game here - and USB for syncing FROM your phone TO your laptop after meetings, before you get back to the office where centrino wireless +/or 10/100 wired LAN are used for FULL working practices.

The Radio & MP3 capability is obviously for those awful long business train travelling moments where you don't want to be carrying extra stuff like a walkman - or be working on your laptop.

I'm all for brand loyalty - I've had the Motorola TimePort 7089, 7389, 250, 260 & 280 - and have stuck with My 280 for over a year and a half now whilst all the smart phones have evolved (the MPx200 and the V600, which my woman has, are both demeaned in business as a 'girlie flip fones' - and the MPx220 is yet another flip) - but Motorola have not quite yet lost my £££ because the MPx100 looks to be the first 'serious' business phone offering in the SMARTphone arena from Motorola since they gave up on the TimePort series...

So - Its possibly the C500 instead of the MPx100 for Me - as I think the MPx100 looks too much like the P900...

Ho Hum...

:D

PS : (showing my ignorance) is the C500 to be Tri-band like the MPx100 is to be - if so I might have to have the C500 because as with the VAIO and the PowerMAC G5 - style DOES matter sometimes ... D'Oh! - I really like Motorolas though ... Damnation - why did I have to see the C500 - I could have waited another couple of months in ignorance ...

Come on Orange - Release them both to the shops and let me see them in the real world so I can make my mind up ... or will I have to buy 50 of each and watch my staff fight over them like the pack of rabid dogs that they are...

Guest Paul [MVP]

/me has a quiet word in Brody's ear...

P

LOL, its a nice dilemma though, choice :D If you want information direct from Orange why not click either of the following two links :D:D

http://www.msmobilenews.com/?cid=532

http://www.msmobilenews.com/?cid=531

Ps. Shouldn't the title of this article be changed seeing as it has been confirmed that there is no FM radio on the device? :?

Guest Pondrew

Ok. Not quite understanding the whole 'has word in Brodys ear' thing. Agree with Brody that topic title misleading as FM radio not on phone.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

It's where GPRS hiccups or you think its not submitted (and it actually has) and submitted again. Not a lot that can be done afaik.

Guest Pondrew

Well, I definatlely only pressed submit once. Could it be something to do with using the back button whereby making it automatically send again? Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Laubi
Well, I definatlely only pressed submit once. Could it be something to do with using the back button whereby making it automatically send again? [...]

good queston, Pondrew! I noticed the same (sometimes) when I posted something in a german forum (mobilejoe.de) with my MPx200. Are you using the "Preview" Button?

Guest Pagemakers

It's just an "ism" we have lived with since day one. Mopstly happens with GPRS connections but not always.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Guest Pondrew
good queston, Pondrew! I noticed the same (sometimes) when I posted something in a german forum (mobilejoe.de) with my MPx200. Are you using the "Preview" Button?

Not the two most recent times it happened... :-k

• 3 months later...
Guest agehoops

Hey guys. If any of you had ever thought about buying this phone, then i would say go for it. It is amazing. In comparison to the E100/E200, it wins hands down. Everything has been improved dramatically.

I've recently bought this phone, and as soon as i got it i was amazed at its speed, just from loading it up, as it loads up twice as fast as the previous models, and turning it off is about 5 times faster. Just like a normal phone.

Text messaging is a lot easier, as it now has a decent predictive text, where instead of scrolling through your words by pressing 0, and cursing as your pass your word from a huge list, it now shows you a list, where you scroll up and down to find the word you want. Not only that, but it also predicts the next word, and if it's wrong, then just keep typing and it clears it, and remembers the new word for next time. The new words you save to the dictionary don't get lost when you turn off the phone now either. :)

The battery life is so much better, and you can now get 4-5 days on standby, and ever 2-3 days using everything on it.

Earlier in this post someone said it would be horrible for a handsfree car kit, but it has bluetooth, so why don't you just get a headset, which is a lot easier to set up now.

You can have WMA files as your ringtones, as well as the usual WAV files, and now nearly all MIDI files can be your tones.

The camera still has the same resolution of just 800x600 which is a shame, but on a phone, do you really need an amazing one, and the refresh rate is so much better, that you can shoot your hand across the camera, and you see it properly on the screen, and with different picture modes such as night, you can take pictures any where.

It now has a built in file manager so you don't need to get one, and if you still prefer to put your own applications on it, you no longer need to worry about application unlocking, as it is not locked in the first place, which is great. :lol:

you can now add contacts to your sim card without having to open sim manager, as you can just open your contacts list, and say new to sim.

Sound and video quality is unbelievable. just copy a video or music file from your PC, and watch it in full screen without a single frame skip or jump. Just perfectly clear video.

The joystick, although weird, is actually extremely easy to use, and a lot nicer than the standard joystick of the previous models, and it now has a definite click to it, without it going to the right when you want to press it in.

To save on battery life, there is a light sensor under the keypad, which stops the buttons lighting up when it is light, but, as soon as it is at a certain darkness, the buttons light up, with a lush blue colour, and red and green for the call buttons. The soft keys have been moved, yes, but, despite people thinking they appear to be in annoying positions, they are actually in better ones, which are easier to use.

The mini-SD card is cool, although it does sit under the battery which isn't brilliant, but you don't really need to remove it, so its fine.

I could go on for hours about how good this phone is. Just go and buy it and see for yourself.

Hope this helps some of you make a choice. :lol:

Aidy

Guest StillHasSomeHair

I got mine just after they were released to the business centres (by driving overland to wales to my nearest one)

I Love It

Best Phone I Ever Had

^_^

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.