EXCLUSIVE: MPx220 slated for July release on Orange UK

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest siu99spj

This is great. First get told I'm going to be in California for this month and then (hopefully) as soon as I get back (July) I can pick up one of these.

Plus the small facts I'll need to return to California (Several times) and then there's the six month hiatus in Korea next year.

Looks like I'll have to hold onto my MPx220 for much the same length of time I've held onto this SPV (18+ months).

Guest yosnoor

I know that the phone supports voice dialling (well I'm assuming that it's possible from the video showing apps being launched by voice command), but what I'd like to know is whether voice dialling can be initiated from the handsfree set, rather than having to open the phone up - kinda defeats the purpose otherwise

Guest yosnoor

Same as every other voice dialling handsfree application - press the button on the handsfree kit. I was surprised and hugely disappointed when I found that the e100 didn't support this when pretty much every other phone with a similar spec and many of those with a much lesser spec did. It's nothing new or revolutionary, and since it's become illegal to drive and use a mobile it's omission has been even more noticeable

Guest ChrisThomas

Guys, any reason why this smartphone doesn't have a TOUCHSCREEN and/or Palm-type entry pad? I just can't imagine spending $600+ for a "dumb" screen!!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Its one of the spec's for Smartphone, "one handed" data entry at all times using the keypad, action button, 4 way joystick and home/back buttons.

Guest mataus

Current contract expired in May 2004 yippeeee....... this has to be my next phone

give me .... give me..... give meeeeeee a MPx220

You could say I want one

Guest kyrkesmith

At current rate, that's about £250, which is about the offline price of a MPx200 isn't it? If the MPx220 does end up at the price of MPx200, I reckon it will sell incredibly well.

Guest Pagemakers
"Smartphone MPx220 will be released in September 2004, the retail price will not exceed 450 dollars"

That's for the US market, not Necessarily Europe.

Guest farq001

Just got these specs through from Motorola support. Still won't give me an official release date though!

Response (ARJA V) - 06/14/2004 02:03 PM

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Motorola.

PLease find below the info that is so far available on the MPx220:

General Network GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 

Status Coming Soon 

Size Dimensions 89 x 48 x 27 mm, 96 cc 

Weight 110 g 

Display Type TFT, 65k colors 

Size 165 x 220 pixels, 8 lines 

- Second display 4096 colors (98 x 64 pixels) 

Optional Ringtones   

Vibration In phone 

Languages   

- Polyphonic ringtones

- USB port

- Downloadable ringtones, wallpaper and screensavers

- Ringtone composer 

Memory Numbers in phone 1000 

Call records Yes 

- 64 MB total memory, 32 MB user accessible

- miniSD card slot 

Features GPRS Class 8 (4+1 slots) 

Data speed 32 - 40 kbps 

Messaging SMS, MMS, Email 

Clock Yes 

Alarm Yes 

Infrared port Yes 

Games Yes 

Colors Black 

- Build-in digital camera

- Microsoft SmartPhone 2003

- Bluetooth

- Windows Media Player

- WAP 2.0

- T9

- Sync ML

- Voice memo 

- Voice dial 

We do not have a precise date yet when this phone will be released, but do keep an eye on our website for more info soon.

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to

contact us again.

Motorola Cellular Response Centre (UK)

www.hellomoto.com

Guest Exodia

The dimensions given for this phone dont add up. 90mm long, no way, its more like 100mm and thats huge for a clamshell. The mpx200 is 89mm long and in the side by side comparison pic, the mpx220 is obviously longer by more then 1mm. Besides, i measured it myself using my photo editor. :D

Guest midnight

erm, has anyone noticed this says strongarm? does that mean they've gone for an XScale, NOT the TI processor previously mentioned? If its a 200mhz xscale (at a guess) then the C500 may have the speed advantage

Guest Pondrew

Interesting. So the MPX220 is going to be handicapped by it's XScale processor even if they do clock it at 200Mhz (as the C500 is). That new HTC Smartphone is looking better and better!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.