Mobistar and Qtek release Voyager updates, WITH SD BUG!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Mobistar Belgium, a France Telecom company like Orange and QTEK have released their Voyager (aka SPV E200 / QTEK 8080 updates) here at Mobistar and here at QTek.

Of course we, here at MoDaCo, your loyal servants, have investigated these new ROM images!

The Mobistar update is s lightly rebranded version of the Orange E200 update, and the QTek update is a logical progression of the existing QTek ROM, with no major changes - although the buggy T9 now seems to have been fixed, a big plus on the Orange update.

HOWEVER

Both ROMs STILL seem to have the bug where after a short period of inactivity the SD card is not recognised, and needs to be reinsterted.

How this can be missed out in testing, particularly after HTC and Orange have been alerted to the problem by us, is totally beyond me.

As such, our advice to SD card users would be to NOT apply these upgrades, as they are non reversible, and will introduce a serious bug into your device.

We hope to have an official response from Mobistar / QTek regarding this problem very soon, watch this space... :)

P

Guest Simon Desser

Can anyone please advise us if the earpiece is still very quiet and tinny on these two Roms?

Personally, I prefer the "buzzing" earpiece to HTC's poor attempt at a "fix"!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hey I've been having trouble with card for a while (sent one back) is there any way round this :?:

I use Mapopolis almost daily and its driving me mad. I have to stop, take out the card (usually crashes Mapopolis) restart Mapopolis then reset my route. Sometimes it only lasts 5 minutes.

Can someone write a small utility which could run in the background and keep polling the card say every minute :?:

Guest orangesp
Both ROMs STILL seem to have the bug where after a short period of inactivity the SD card is not recognised, and needs to be reinsterted.  

How this can be missed out in testing, particularly after HTC and Orange have been alerted to the problem by us, is totally beyond me.  

I had this problem on both my E200 and my iPaq.

What solved my problem was a program for the Pocket PC - called "Flash Format from Handango". This formatted my SD Card to FAT32 on my Pocket PC! (see this link)

Both my E200 and iPaq 3970 are faster and more stable - bliss! :)

I'll dig out the link for the program and the settings I used and post it here.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

P.S. In Theory - formatting your SD card to FAT32 via an SD car reader on your PC should do the trick just as well - but I haven't tested it. The "Flash Format" program was designed to make SD cards compatible with Windows CE.

Guest orangesp

Link as promissed earlier for Flash Format:

Flash Format for Pocket PC

Remember this is for Pocket PC only. If you have an SD Card reader for your PC - try formatting to FAT32.

(Backup first - as everything will be lost when you reformat your SD card)

Regards,

Brian.

Guest Vector

I formatted my SD Card to FAT32 before via my PC with a card reader to see if it would

help, But it didn't solve the problemfor me :)

Guest d6d8

This stupid bug caught my phone 2 days ago.. :)

I tried to format and change my SD card to FAT32 on my pc, although it can read on my xphone, minutes later the card will still "disappear". I don't think it is the card fault though, since I have even tried with a MMC card as well. The problem is still present.

Could it be the battery fault? I've read somewhere that when the battery is low, the phone will shut the card down and reinserting will activate it again. I was in luck today as i could enjoy using my phone without ejecting my SD card at all! (I was overjoyed, thinking the bug was maybe only temporary.) However, when the battery level went down from 3 to 1 bar after one day usage, the problem resurfaces. Now it wouldn't go away even after charging it full again. sighz..

Anyone with similar experiences?

Guest peekie

mobistar is orange it comes under the name orange be if you visit from another orange land so no suprises if it has the same problems as the others within the networks just get an M1000 problems solved :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Guest d6d8

Will a hard reset solves the problem? My phone when first used didn't have this darn bug.. or it develops after a certain time?

Guest hardcore
"]Both ROMs STILL seem to have the bug where after a short period of inactivity the SD card is not recognised, and needs to be reinsterted.

I have an O2 Xphone. I was using the E200 2.6.1.3 ROM, then Qtek 1.7.10.4, then now Qtek 1.9.14.1. I have never experienced this SD card "inactivity" bug that I've seen mentioned many times. I'm using a Panasonic 256MB High-Speed SD card.

Guest drblow
Will a http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset solves the problem? My phone when first used didn't have this darn bug.. or it develops after a certain time?

Well, I don't thiunk you can guarantee anything in this situation, since the problem seems to be completely random - but I have tried hard resets numerous times to try to get rid of the numerous bugs in the e200 update, and none of it has made any difference. Still, that don't mean it wouldn't work for someone else. I'm getting flashbacks to the e100 GPRS 'stuck on dialling' issue, where in the end I think it was Beersoft who put forward the theory that it only affected people who were wearing yellow y-fronts... on mondays ... know what I mean!? :)

It's definately not something to do with the type of SD card you have. I have been using a Toshiba 32MB card which Orange sent to me with my last replacement, and it is exactly the same as any others.

Maybe I should just stop wearing my yellow y-fronts ... on mondays ... :twisted:

Guest cre8or

Hi i have installed the new ROM from QTEK on my QTEK8080 and so far no problem with my CARD !!!

I should say that i use an MMC and not a SD card.

But so far no problems with the card getting off hehe :)

Guest jonwood10

I have been getting this problem with my e200...

I did a complete reinstall of the latest orange update, no change. It is darn annoying tho...

Been wondering if it was just me.... should have checked here sooner... :oops:

Guest orangesp

The Developers of the Award Winning Flash Format - which successfully addressed iPAQ and Other Pocket PC issues - by keeping Flash Memory Active via multithreading - performing some background processing without eating the battery or slowing down your device. :)

See this news announcement:

http://www.smartphoneadvice.com/index.php?...w&id=324&Itemid

I can only talk from experience, - I personally had the SD issues before formatting my 512MB SD CARD via my iPAQ using FAT32 and 4K Cluster Size - Since then my E200 has been 'happy as a pig in muck!" and my SD card is significantly quicker as a result. :lol:

The program also has some nice little features, like SD Card Insert Autorun, which runs you're selected program automatically (which is different for each SD Card) - Very handy! :lol:

Hope this helps. I'm personally looking forward to the release date which should be within the next month.

Brian.

Guest dt_bogor

does anyone have info about a ROM update from O2?

or where to download the last release from O2.

I updated using Orange and would like to have O2 in reserve in case of hardware / warranty problems.

cheers

dtbogor

Guest Vector
The Developers of the Award Winning Flash Format - which successfully addressed iPAQ and Other Pocket PC issues - by keeping Flash Memory Active via multithreading - performing some background processing without eating the battery or slowing down your device. :)

See this news announcement:

http://www.smartphoneadvice.com/index.php?...w&id=324&Itemid

I can only talk from experience, - I personally had the SD issues before formatting my 512MB SD CARD via my iPAQ using FAT32 and 4K Cluster Size - Since then my E200 has been 'happy as a pig in muck!" and my SD card is significantly quicker as a result. :lol:

The program also has some nice little features, like SD Card Insert Autorun, which runs you're selected program automatically (which is different for each SD Card) - Very handy! :lol:

Hope this helps.  I'm personally looking forward to the release date which should be within the next month.

Brian.

I've formatted my card on my Pocket PC with flash format, but it doesn't seem to have fixed my SD Card issues :lol:

Suppose i will just have to wait and see if the next Orange update can fix this issue...

Guest drblow

From what I've heard at O recently, there may not be another update to the e200. Have you any good reason to believe otherwise? The rumours I've heard lately are that once the C500 is out, it will replace the e200 as the flagship Orange product, & I believe that Orange want to forget the e200 as quickly as possible. My advice to anyone encountering ongoing issues with the e200 is to call OCS & report the issues. After a certain amount of replacements you will be offered a DMR (Different Model Replacement). Once the new phones are released, at least the range of different models will include some smartphones! :twisted:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.