Server ActiveSync users - READ THIS NOW!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Are any of you Server Activesync (Exchange 2003) users?

If so, I would be REALLY grateful if you would read and respond to the following, either in this thread, or directly via PM or E-Mail if you prefer.

A long while ago, I was privileged to receive one of the first E200s made available to the public.

As part of my pre release preperation, I carried out extensive testing of the phone's features, highlighting a number of bugs that I thought existed, and that I reported directly to Orange.

One of these bugs that I witnessed seemed to involve E-Mail when using Server ActiveSync / Exchange 2003.

It goes a little something like this...

I sync my phone to my Exchange Server for mail, but I do not use up-to-date features... I sync manually. All up-to-date features are turned off on the server, and most importantly, on the phone.

HOWEVER

and this has happened even as I write this post...

MAIL ARRIVES WITHOUT ME POLLING THE SERVER!

Even if I disconnect GPRS, mails will suddenly arrive at my phone.

I've no idea how this is happening, I am absolutely convinced it is through no fault of my own, and therefore I can only conclude that in EVERY E200 build, there is an issue which means the phone picks up mail when it shouldn't.

This is clearly a HUGE issue if this is the case, as it will result in over-inflated GPRS bills, and I also suspect it is happening when roaming, which is an even bigger problem.

Have you witnessed this happening or not happening?

I need your feedback to find out if this problem needs to be escalated... thanks people!

:)

P

Guest Jabbsy

I've worked within the pharmaceutical industry for a while developing database software, as many people know this is a tightly regulated area for software developers but i am really shocked how Orange handle the testing of their products/software. I really don't understand how all these bugs exist in a completed product.

- Every module of code should undergo white and black box testing (System Tests).

- The phone should then be passed to a group of users for user acceptance testing where they can pick up other issues such as battery life etc (User Acceptance Tesiting).

ALL these tests should be carried out against a carefully planned test document so that Orange can ensure every piece of functionality is being fully tested. They should not just pass the phone to a few people and let them fiddle with the phone for a couple of weeks. And that is not meant to be a dig at Paul, if Orange asked me to test a few of their handsets i would do it too, but they should just make sure that they fully test the products before they start handing the phones out.

And i know Orange can't take all of the blame cos some of the problems are with hardware, drivers, the OS etc and are down to HTC and Microsoft as well. But Orange do have a responsibility to ensure that everything is fully working and if they do find any bugs in HTC/Microsoft products then they must raise them with Microsoft/HTC and work together to get them fixed.

Come on Orange, look at all the problems the e200 had at its launch, you obviously didn't fully test the product before you released it as even a monkey could have picked them up if they'd have been playing with the handset for a couple of hours. You obviously didnt test the e200 update either, cos if anything, that has created more bugs !!!!

Guest c2fow

Paul,

we use the Server ActiveSync facility with four E200's at work and - without fail - the up to date feature does not work. When the server receives an email it may notify the phone at which point the phone connects. However, when the next email is delivered, either the Sever does not send out a notification or the phone does not recognise the request to sync. However, if one syncs manually at this point, the process is reset and - then the next message it recognises, connects & it all starts again until the second message!

We gave up trying to get it working and set the phones to connect every 10 mins during working hours.

Tony.

Guest lowbug

Never had this issue on 3 the 3 E200's we have or on the E100. Mail arrives when i poll it every 5 mins between 8.30 and 6pm. There is a delay if i send a mail to the phone. For a short time i did have my server pushing mail to the phone but it stopped working a reverted to the phone polling the server?

I will investigate a bit more... :)

Guest lowbug

Paul what do you have in the extra little box at the bottom of the activesync settings? I had my mobile number? I did read that if you put the mobile number on the exchange server it uses this to push the mail...?

???

Guest Paul [MVP]

No, there's nothing in there, and everything is set to 'Manually'. On the Exchange server, the up-to-date features are disabled.

It happens even on a fresh hard-reset phone where all i've done is put in my details in Activesync.

P

Guest lowbug

Could there be anything else on the phone which is triggering a GPRS connection, because the connection goes 'live' the phone thinks you have made a manual connection (when you haven't) and therefore syncs mail. Long shot i know.....

Guest lowbug

lol shouldn't :lol: Might still be worth a IE connection and then check the activesync to see when i last synced see if both happen at the same time. If you change sim that would prove you aren't pushed the email (which i doubt). It does sound rather mad though. The only other thing is the phone still is locked into the old settings?? Have you tried an automatic setting of a very long time period over the manual setting? :)

Guest jojoe

No, you are not mad. The opposite. I got the same problems on my Voyager, Tanager and my MPx200. It connects, whenever it likes to - even if schedule is set to manual sync.

I use Vodafone Germany, an Exchange 2003 Standard Edition on Windows 2003 Standard, I synchronize with SSL Support.

It's boring - you can't stop smartphone doing things that you don't want to. Same problems, same settings, no way to get rid of it.

Guest c2fow

Paul,

Can you check the server logs - if it is activating wireless sync you should see a message such as:

"2004-06-01 13:50:37 W3SVC1 [servername] [server I.P] GET /exchange-oma/[username]/NON_IPM_SUBTREE/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/AirNotifyDeviceInfo.xml - 80 [domain][username] [i.p] HTTP/1.1 Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync-v2.0/2.0.3274.0 - - mail.[domain].com 200 0 0 1545 3851 15"

Items in square brackets substituted to protect the guilty!

Tony.

Guest c2fow

Paul,

Assuming the Server is set up to log activesync activity (IIS / Web Sites / Default Website / Properties), it should be in a directory similar to:

C:WINDOWSsystem32LogFilesW3SVC1

Tony

Guest fauno

Hello,

I have been using my E200 with MS Exch 2003 sincronization over GPRS over two months without having this issue.

I have not any programation to do aut sync (ever manually) and elements (mail, contacts and calendar) are sent only on request.

Rgds

Guest c2fow

Paul,

The critical phrase is "AirNotifyDeviceInfo.xml"

The log will obviously be full of Activesync confirmations that will exist whether it is generated by a timed, manual or AUTD sync process.

Tony.

Guest MichaelThwaite

I'm syncing an I-Mate Smartphone 2, a T-Mobile PocketPC 2003 (old model with 2003 loaded) and occasionally an old Compal MS Dev. Phone.

These are all set to sync hourly during the day and sit quietly through the night and at weekends.

They're all behaving well and never wake me up in the night with email notifications. They all start promptly at 7am. They do however activesync whenever I send messages out of hours as I have sync-on-send set.

One thing I never do though is to activesync these devices in a cradle; they're always doing server based sync OTA even when I dock them which is very rare.

I set up server sync using the devices themselves rather than through activesync.

Perhaps one of these points is the key to reliable and dependable remote sync?

Michael.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.