EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: MPx220 in action!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest schriss

Smartphones need raw CPU and graphics power, that's my point of view :)

By the way: are there any MPx220 benchmarks? Or java benchmark results at least? http://www.jbenchmark.com/

I wonder how does MPx220 compare to those 200MHz Mitacs clocked at 300MHz :lol:

Guest zeta101

what exactly is the 220s's ispm or storage as its called in 2003 compared to e100, e200 mpx100 etc? i thought the 220 had plenty of space...im confused by the past few posts

Guest schriss

Lets take a look at the video closely, it shows not only program memory, but storage as well...

Lets compare to my Mio 8390 which is Windows Mobile 2003:

Program Memory: 27.4MB (20MB free)

Storage memory: 1.1MB

ISPM: 15.6MB

MPx220:

Program Memory: 19MB (7.5MB free)

Storage memory: 2.71MB

ISPM: 36.94MB (not sure, SD capacity may be included)

Guest zeta101

i doubt this can be right, it must not be the final production model, moto arent going to cripple the phone like this...

Guest mavisdavis

Lets all keep our fingers crossed that it's not a step back.Other wise i'm sticking to the E200.Has anybody called Orange to see if they can shed any light on the subject? Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Horizon

First of all thanks for this great movie 8)

Got it:

MPx220 Device Storage (ISPM?) is 36.94MB, but does it include inserted SD?

I think there was no SD card in the device in the movie. You can see this at the beginning of the movie, when he tries to put a normal SD card into the slot.

Do you really think that the mobile ist that thin? 20 mm would be great, but that would be 7 mm thinner than the mpx200! Is that realistic?

@akarno the camera is below the external display. You can't see it in the video, but it's there :wink:

Guest peekie

if everyone remembers the mpx220 was a rumour phone back in febuary now finally coming out . motorola don't care if the specs maybe lower than the e200 or similar as the mpx220 probably will be replaced by another version later this year ,if its better than the mpx200 they will be happy as the motorola will sell well ,remember the mpx200 was lessin specs than the e200 but sold well against that model , it comes down to choice in the end do you prefer the clamshell or the standard phone look it will be interesting to see which moto sells better the mpx100 or mpx220 :wink: :wink: :wink:

Guest kyrkesmith

I disagree that it's likely to have specs less than E200. Why would the camera be the exception? From what we know so far, it doesn't seem like it's just going to be a phone that's a bit better than the MPx200, but a lot better.

Guest st3ph3n

Any news on the motorola MPX series phones incorporating the RIM BlackBerry Connect software? Or can you already "push" emails without it?

I like the blackberry functions but not their slab like design, and looking like a total plonker with one held to your ear.

Guest refnulf

As far as I know, they're not going with blackberry but I could be mistaken.

The mpx220 will not have less features than the e200, or even the mpx200. If not, what the hell are they releasing another phone then? I sure hope they won't be coming out with another updated version of the mpx220 once it's out a few months. That would be insane.

Guest Pondrew

I don't agree refnulf, all Motorola HAVE to do with this new Smartphone release is improve upon their existing Smartphone the MPX200. The E200 is a competitors phone and although it may seem common sense to say they have to improve upon it's specs, in reality as long as they improve upon their own product they are delivering. The Motorola reputation will do the rest...

Having said that, I'd be very surprised if the spec of this didn't blow away the E200 on almost all fronts. Maybe internal memory won't be one of them but that remains to be confirmed.

Guest Gears

The test build of the OS on this has a dll that's registered on boot to display the battery meter, and obviously that radio stack isn't ready either, so I'm guessing a lot could change before we get one of these in our pockets. However, it DOES look very promising!

Guest Gears

Well, it's a clamshell like the MPx200 so most of the time you'll find that the main colour screen isn't on - that in itself saves battery power.

Guest martin

Speculation time :) I was trying make sense of the memory allocation so I did a bit of digging.

The MPX200 we know about.

MPX200: 32MB Flash ROM and 32MB SD RAM + SD MMC card (expandable up to 1GB)

I got the MPX100 specification from the Motorola site

MPX100: 64MB Flash ROM and 32MB SD RAM + Mini SD (up to 512MB)

On a PPC forum the MPx is reported to have the same internal memory as the MPX100

64MB Flash ROM and 32MB SD RAM + SD MMC card (expandable up to 1GB)

So my assumption is that the MPX220 again will be the same :?

MPX220: 64MB Flash ROM and 32MB SD RAM + Mini SD (up to 512MB)

If this is correct then I think it will increase the internal Program/file storage but then again I would still rather have 64MB RAM.

Guest schriss

martin: looks like you are correct, MPx220 has 3x less free memory than mine Mio 8390, but theere is 2x more of storage space. But I'd prefer more RAM than storage, we all have SD cards for that.

Guest martin
martin: looks like you are correct, MPx220 has 3x less free memory than mine Mio 8390, but theere is 2x more of storage space. But I'd prefer more RAM than storage, we all have SD cards for that.

Yeah more RAM would have been great but the 64MB Flash ROM is still a nice addition and should help to eliminate some of the problems that can be caused by filling up Storage (IPSM).

I'm not sure what's taking up all the RAM though as the phone had just been switched on (Total memory=19.3MB, Available memory=7.64). If this is a pre-release model then maybe windows (and other applications) will still be streamlined to give optimum available memory. Will be interesting to see what what the networks do with it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.