EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: MPx220 in action!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest midnight

I actually think it will have a similar ram/rom configuration as the MPx, and quoting JonnoB of PocketPCThoughts forum (about the Motorola MPx):

"It is important to note that the memory configuration is unlike any other PPC to-date. The 32mb RAM and 64mb of storage area is fixed and does not use a sliding scale of RAM for storage/program memory. This is in effect, like a device with 96MB of shared program/storage memory."

Guest schriss

martin: On my Mio 8390 system takes 7MB of RAM, leaving 20MB free, so if they can do the same to MPx220, that would give at least 10MB of free RAM. That's not that bad after all.

Regarding "the problems that can be caused by filling up Storage (IPSM)" I don't care, I put everything on SD card :)

Guest metter

I think less RAM and space would mean = More battery life!

and whats up with the no antenna. Is is gonna have bucked up reception like the mpx200? i hope they stick a small one at least on the top or make it snap to the side and then fold it up like a radio antenna.

Guest midnight

metter, its got a rather large antenna, the big block at the back that says QUAD on it, if it wasnt for the quad band thing it would be a smaller phone :)

as for less ram, i dont think it has, if its using the ram/rom config ive mentioned then the about screen does report it wrong (as it does on the MPx aswell). I'm gonna stick by the specs i was originally told (32mb ram/32mb rom) until Moto state otherwise.

Guest ChrisThomas

Guys, any reason why these smartphones don't have TOUCHSCREEN and/or Palm-type entry pad? :) I just can't imagine spending $600+ for a "dumb" screen!!

Chris

Guest martin
Back to the RAM/ROM configuration, this review (with loads of really good photos) says it is 64 MB Flash ROM, 32 MB RAM, like martin predicted.

:)/ (I'll still wait for the official specs though before bragging :wink: )

OK, but how much of it will be available as Program Memory?

Ok I did a memory comparison of my SPV (not E200) and the MPX220.

Notice that each phone has approx 2MB of storage memory included in the total memory. I expect this could be flash ROM memory being used as main memory although I wonder how much slower it is to actual RAM :?

The Program memory used on the MPX220 was a mighty 11.66MB :shock: compared to the SPV which was 5.93MB on startup. Seems a lot.

A better comparison would be the MPX220 to an E200 but I don't have and E200 (I'm waiting for something else :wink: ).

SPV (not E200) and MPX220

Memory Information

Total Memory:14.7MB, 22.02MB

Storage memory: 2.06MB, 2.72MB

Used: 455.75KB, 376.90KB

Free: 1.61MB, 2.34MB

Program Memory: 12.64MB, 19.30MB

Used: 5.93MB, 11.66MB

Free: 6.79MB, 7.64MB

Flash Infrormation

IPSM: 7.5MB, 36.94MB

Used: 2.39MB, 5.77MB

Free: 5.11MB, 31.17MB

Storage Card: 241.12MB, None

Used: 164.28MB, None

Free: 76.84MB, None

Guest kyrkesmith
Guys, any reason why these smartphones don't have  TOUCHSCREEN and/or Palm-type entry pad?  :)   I just can't imagine spending $600+ for a "dumb" screen!!

It's part of the whole concept of Microsoft's Smartphone not to have a touchscreen. It's not in Microsoft's specifications - Smarphones are designed to be operated with one hand.

If you're looking for something with a touchscreen, a Pocket PC Phone Edition is Microsoft's solution. The MPx is one of these.

Guest mataus

I also am wetting my pant's waiting for this phone to be released...

Nearly 2 years since I purchased my very first Smartphone (SPV) and seems to been years since I first heard about the MPx220.... if looks are anything to go is is surely to be a real winner.

:D :D :lol:

Guest kyrkesmith

It's kinda strange how Motorola have officially announced the MPx100, but not the MPx220, yet is seems the 220 will be out not only first, but imminently.

Guest schriss

I don't like the look of MPx220 and the specs are well below my expectations (but 1Mpix camera and bluetooth are nice) :D

I'm still waiting for my next dream Smartphone... 8)

Guest schriss

I have seen the video 8) The phone is not in my type :D plus I have seen the memory status screen on the video, plus all the speculations around here...

I'd like to see Smartphone sporting Xscale CPU running at full speed of 400MHz, at least 32MB of FREE program memory and tha beast: nVidia GoForce3D which does antialiasing, multitexturing, has Pixel Shader, OpenGL ES, Direct 3D...

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/hhsdk_home.html

I wonder how long will I have to wait, two years? one year? :D

Guest schriss

Battery? Same as for Smartphones, PocketPCs... newer CPUs and chipsets like GoForce3D actually require less power...

What's the battery life of TabletPC anyway??

But that's manufacturer's problem, not mine :D

We require, they deliver :D

Guest kyrkesmith

Hmm....

The SPV's batter life is pretty crap, and the phone feature of the phone is going to use more battery, so it's not fair to compare to Pocket PCs and Tablet PCs, imo. Perhaps to and XDA II, but I don't know what the battery life's like on that.

In my opinion, it's not really the actual specs that matter, but rather how it performs. As midnight has commented regarding the C500, "the processor type is the OMAP 730, which is twice the performance of the OMAP 710 at the same speed".

Guest schriss

Unfortunately it's very hard to research a new battery that will be same size but double capacity :D

Unless you use new technology, I have seen something about fuel cells on Discovery lately, seemed like a breakthrough.

It's our hope, take a look:

"Hitachi considers the size, which is similar to that of a AA battery, as about the right size for commercial use"

"NEC has demonstrated a prototype unit for use with notebook personal computers that it says will become a commercial product sometime in 2004. The prototype can deliver enough power for around five hours of use and the company's mid-term goal is to develop and sell a 40-hour unit by the end of 2005."

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,...d,113844,00.asp

Guest markdotpeters5

Can't believe no-one's mentioned this yet, but does it record video in any fashion?

and the XDA2 battery life varies wildly, but when you play with it as much as I do, it only lasts about 24 hours. (it's the big screen you see).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.