Windows Media Player 10 Technical Beta Release

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Microsoft have release the 'Windows Media Player 10 Technical Beta', touting improved Mobile Device sync as a feature!

You can visit this page at Microsoft for full details, an excerpt of which is posted below.

I have installed, and inital impressions are mixed, and maybe it's just me, but I can't get it to sync music to my Storage Card :lol:

Enjoy!

:)

P

mp10_screencap_sm.jpg

Help us test the next-generation Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player 10 is being refined to provide a great experience for discovering, playing, and taking your digital media anywhere. We are still in the early stages, but this technical beta lays the groundwork for the great end-to-end digital media experience coming with the final release for Windows XP.

Check out what's new

* Sleek New Design. A streamlined and sleek new design delivers a fresh new look and improved ease of use, including faster access to top Player tasks. The most important Player features are now in a more prominent position in the library, enabling users to accomplish everyday digital media tasks all in one convenient place and to take advantage of the powerful capabilities of the Player while browsing the library.

* Choice of Online Stores. Introducing the first "Digital Media Mall" enabling you to discover, download, rent or stream music and video within the Player from a choice of online stores. These stores enjoy deeper integration and customization within the Player to enhance their functionality and ease of use.

* Enhanced Device Support. A wide selection of devices are supported with this release, including a host of current portable music players and new Portable Media Center devices that will be available later this year. A major component of this rich device support includes a new feature called Auto Sync which enables the seamless, automatic synchronization of music, video, and even recorded TV and photos to supported portable devices.

* Improved All-in-One Smart Jukebox. Windows Media Player 10 Technical Beta builds upon the award-winning Windows Media Player 9 Series, delivering fast and flexible playback, unmatched audio and video quality, and smart jukebox features designed to save you time and effort.

Guest Vector

Yeh, i insalled it yesterday...i got it to sync, but it doesn't

sync with my storage card either :lol:

Otherwise i love it, seems faster than Media Player 9 and the new UI is nice :)/

Guest wdehaas

didn´t test but this is what Microsoft says on it´s sitehttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...icesupport.aspx

During the technical beta program, experience Auto Sync for yourself on a selection of portable music players. More devices will be added to this page as support for the new Player is enabled.
so in the feature the media player will become compatible with Smartphones. The Smartphone is not listed in the device list so I think we´ll have to wait.

and

Windows Media DRM 10 features will make new scenarios possible, such as protecting, delivering, and playing subscription-based or on-demand digital music and video. These scenarios span Windows–based PCs and devices, including portable audio devices, Portable Media Centers, cellular phones and personal digital assistants (PDAs) such as Windows Mobile™–based Pocket PCs and Smartphones, and networked devices connected within the home, including those that connect over a wireless network.

So they Media Player will have support for smarthphones I think based on the text above

Guest midnight

err, well, on my pc it definitely aint quicker than 9, in fact, the performance is terrible, is a HUUUUUGE resource hog, and i thought Winamp 3 was bad :lol:

but, it is a beta i suppose, but, so far, not impressed in the slightest (at least it rolls back to 9 when you uninstall it :))

Guest jason76

yep no sd card and i think its slower and it doesn't lest you delete non media files, time to roll back at the moment me thinks :)

Guest bosshogg

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue, but it works fine for me:

On the right-hand pane of the Sync screen, my drop-down contains the following:

Storage Card

IPSM

I select Storage Card, and it refreshes to show the current directory structure. Select file in the left-hand pane and click "Start Sync", and it copies the file across to the storage card. I have an SPV classic by the way.

I quite like MP10 so far, except the miniplayer in the xp toolbar is buggy: it works fine on my home pc, but all the buttons are grayed out on my work pc...both xp pro sp1.

Guest Vector

In the drop down list i only have "Storage" and the activesync partnership name :)

Perhaps it's an issue with WM2003? i have an SPV E200, anyone else with Smartphone 200 got it working?

Guest podavies
Seems to work for me. I have 'Storage Card', 'IPSM' & 'SmartPhone' in the list. I have an 'Original' SPV.

Andy

That banana is freaking me out

Guest mavisdavis

Does it convert the songs from one format to wma for example? if not i'll stick to the old method. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest mavisdavis

Does it convert the songs from one format to wma for example? if not i'll stick to the old method. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest podavies
Yes it converts it to specified bitrate (between 64kbps and 192kbps) WMA files.

(Just for you podavies: banana :))

Andy

I had to look :shock: :roll: :-&

Guest rogerbates

Works OK for me too, I have the Storage Card, IPSM and SmartPhone on the drop down list. I also have the Original SPV.

Have to say it seems pretty good, no probs as yet.

Guest Vector

Sounds like it only works properly with Smartphone 2002 at the moment :lol:

Let's hope it's fixed for the final version... :)

Guest Belgarath Krall

works happily on my MPx200, it even keeps star ratings, finally! everytime i used to move music around the star rating gets scrubbed.

I have yet to see how much i can break this tho...

Guest Vector
DONT EVER DOWNLOAD THIS!!! OR YOULL BE SORRY!!!  WAIT FOR THE FINAL! DNT SAY I DDNT WARN U..

I have been running it since it was released now and it is running fine for me....not crashed once, besides, if it was that terrible as you say, i don't think MS would release it to the public, do you? :D

Guest midnight

errr, personally i think its terrible, i know 5 people who've installed this and removed it within the hour, and....

its left something behind, dunno what, but the codecs seem screwed, i get half the screen in colour and half the scren in greyscale whenever i play a movie ever since i installed 10

i do however only have an 800mhz pc with 512mb ram, so maybe MS 'presume' everyone has 2gig+ machines?

Guest Brody

I've noticed its slower than WMP9 but i'm going to stick by it and see what it really has to offer, i like the added ability to skip to any part of the song (the progress bar) in the taskbar :D

Guest ferret
errr, personally i think its terrible, i know 5 people who've installed this and removed it within the hour

Same here, but when I go to Add Remove Programs, uninstall WMP 10 Technical Beta, Ok, This will roll back to the previous version, Ok, Roll Back complete, restart computer ... it's still there :roll:

XP Pro, SP1, anyone with any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.