A weird thing about the SD card bug - FIXED?!?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest drblow
But the strangest thing of all :roll:  when my phone is in the cradle I.E. on external power everything is fine. I suspect that the power saving bug only happens when the phone is running on battery power :!:

I'm not so sure - when I'm hooked up to activesync sometimes when I try to copy stuff to the card I get an error message saying the file cannot be copied. If I replece the SD card, it works. :evil:

Guest sgannon
Formatted my 256MB Sandisk SD a couple of hours ago and it hasn't vanished yet. Very unusual! Seems promising so far, let's see what tomorrow brings.

Gah! It was going so well but it's just hung looking for the card. Even activesync wouldnt connect until I removed/re-inserted the SD card. Ah well, back to being an expensive paper-weight again. :D

I tried to format my MMC card (kingston 128) using Task Manager. First the problem still occurs every 10 minutes. The second time look promising, everything is fine for about 24 hours, but the problem is back after i restart the phone. Does anybody try to restart the phone and still able to avoid the problem?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

I tried to format my MMC card (kingston 128) using Task Manager. First the problem still occurs every 10 minutes. The second time look promising, everything is fine for about 24 hours, but the problem is back after i restart the phone. Does anybody try to restart the phone and still able to avoid the problem?

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Just to make more confusing :roll:

Same phone, same card etc but after all my previous fun I decided to copy everything off, format my card in my SD card reader, then copy everything back to the card through the card reader (with me so far)

Now even with powering the phone on and off the card lasts for nearly 1 hour (better than before) but now I loose the card even though it is plugged in the cradle :cry:

Somebody wake me up from this nightmare :evil:

I replace my kingston 128 with billionton 256 two days ago, and guess what... everything working fine after i format the card 2 times with task manager. I think this solution only work for certain card.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Looks like d6d8 may have some more interesting ideas to the solution :D

It seems to me that the answer lies the the 'cluster size' when you format your memory card.

Using a card reader, I formatted my SD card to FAT format using 16K as the cluster size.

At the command prompt, type

"format X: /fs:fat /a:16k"  ;where X: is the drive letter of your memcard.

I've tried 32K as the cluster size and it worked too. However, values below 16K would cause the bug to come up again. Type "help format" at command prompt for more options.

Apparently, every card has a preferred format. This probably explain why my card worked like a charm when I first bought it new initially but keep 'disappearing' after a casual format in Windows. 

Hope this info would help others who has suffered like me.

Cheers.

Righty ho then !

Purchased me a card reader at lunchtime.So far I have formatted twice. The only format it will accept now is FAT16K. Although the first time I formatted, it said the type of file system was FAT32. So I formatted at FAT16 and still had the bug. It will no longer allow me to format at FAT 32, so I have reformatted using FAT16, but just tried it and its still happening! did you understand that ? or shall i make it more confusing !

Can someone just clarify this...

When trying to access a program and you encounter the SD bug, does anyone else find that the longer you leave the timer going round and around, the less likely it is that you can regain control by removing the SD card. I have left it going for a couple of minutes, then tried pulling the SD card out and pushing it back in, only to find the handset locked up and I had to remove the battery.whereas if I do it as soon as possible (after realising it aint gonna play ball) I can normally regain response.

That only tells me that that the code that is polling the sd card is not looping correctly when looking for it. Lets put it another way. . . when the code looks for the sd card, it should wait 4 a response within a certain amount of time. If it doesnt recieve a response it should go to sleep and recycle. If it does

it should process the request.

Its obvious to me the program is not behaving in this manner.

Is it just me or what!

• 2 weeks later...

Do those people that said this method resolved their SD card problem still have the problem ? Mine actually isn't as bad as it was, however, the bug is still there. Any updates anyone ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.