Orange SPV C500 officially announced by Orange

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest morpheus2702

What a load of crap, that the placement of the mini SD card was at the behest of Orange!

Who seriously believes that Orange defined this phone and HTC made it according to Orange's stipulations? Purely conjecture on my part: HTC wanted to get a bigger piece of the action and went all-out to make a budget phone, simple as. The only part of the process Orange was involved in was after the event and asked if they wanted to badge it SPV.

The placement of the card is a cost cutting measure. No spring mechanism required, just push to fit. Surely the N-Gage told phone manufacturers everywhere that users like EASY access to their cards?

Guest midnight

ah but we dont change sd cards like ngage users, for ngage its necessary because you need to change the card for every game, this isnt required for ms smartphone, theres a rather large difference between the two uses of the sd card.

And yes, HTC do design things according to Orange (and other carrier) suggestions. A spring mechanism is hardly gonna cost more than a couple of pennies, i do not beleive they have put it under the battery to cut costs, to make the phone smaller is a much more realistic reason, a spring mechanism is going to take up a small amount of room, as does a normal sized SD, HTC have wanted to make the smallest Smartphone out there, and have succeeded. The SD placement doesnt bother me in the slightest, i'll buy one decent sized Mini SD put it in and leave it there, I have absolutely no reason to switch cards, the phone is USB 2 I beleive so transfers to the phone will be fast so no need to use a PC based card reader either.

Guest morpheus2702

OK, so if your believe that HTC are led by Orange's input, I just can't believe that Orange would say 'design us the smallest Smartphone possible' rather than 'design us the most feature packed phone that is reliable'.

Just look at the hell incurred after the launch of the E200. Was size even mentioned as a problem? No, it was everything to do with the way the damn thing (didn't) work!

Surely the tenet of a smartphone is function, not form? Great if you can have them on a smartphone, but isn't it the fashion phone that demands small size more than anything?

Guest Helix

I'm hoping its' camera is impressive, what with Nokia releasing a 1megapixel camera phone by 2005. I won't want to change from the SPV i like it's benefits over all other phones. C'mon orange slam something in better than the camera in the E200.

Guest AngelOfRage

I haven't heard of these Mini SD cards before are they alot more expensive than normal ones? also is it confirmed that the phone - pc connection can use the full USB 2 speed?

Guest kyrkesmith

They're really new, that's why you won't have heard of them. They don't seem too much more expensive, just hardly available, and not in too high capacities (I think 512 is just about in the works).

Guest Jakob
I'm hoping its' camera is impressive, what with Nokia releasing a 1megapixel camera phone by 2005.

hmm... The Nokia does sport a megapixel camera... and a fullfeatured MONO support for your MP3´s :D

Guest jason76

i've heard now about the c600 :shock: i can not keep up what do i get next, if you have to keep it for a year without spending loads of dosh,(mpx,mpx100,mpx 220,c500,c600,sagum thing) i'm confused now :?

Guest squall
OK, so if your believe that HTC are led by Orange's input, I just can't believe that Orange would say 'design us the smallest Smartphone possible' rather than 'design us the most feature packed phone that is reliable'.  

Orange told us at the meet that handset manufacturers worked from specifications put forward by all the handset manufacturers. remember orange have said they will be selling 18 signature devices in the next year, with alot of them being smartphones.

Basically i think orange with the other networks submit a spec, htc sit down with it and see who wants what the most, and has a look at the competition, decide what they want to make. Not with all the elements O want, but a phone that will do as much as poss to meet the individual specs. The c500 makes sense for HTC, there bigger phones coming from moto with more features etc etc so they must belive theres a gap in the market for a smaller phone. This would also be what O want, that way they will get a wide range of devices.

c600? new one to me :D

Guest morpheus2702
The c500 makes sense for HTC, there bigger phones coming from moto with more features etc etc so they must belive theres a gap in the market for a smaller phone.

Surely the natural evolutionary process for a smartphone is to make it... ahem, smarter?

My own view is that HTC have waved the white flag with the C500 - the MPx200 gave the E200 a good kicking, so they are going to compete on a different selling point, namely size.

Guest midnight

but how can htc make it any smarter? the os stuff is controlled by MS, HTC just make the hardware

and you think the mpx200 gave the e200 a good kicking? i wouldnt say so, i know many people who have both and all say the e200 is by far the better phone (even with its bugs). In fact, the only thing they tend to prefer about the mpx200 is the fact that its smaller than the e200

Guest morpheus2702

Purely a case of semantics and the feedback posted on MoDaCo - but against the odds the MPx200 has been a great success for a phone that had no Bluetooth, no Camera and running SM2002 in the face of the then newly-announced WM2003.

Yes you can say that Moto was in a better position to develop a reliable phone because the technology was established...

Even so against the odds HTC managed to produce a twat of a phone in the E200 and a twat of an update to counter the problems with the phone.

Similarly, you can say that HTC was at the forefront of technology with the E200 so glitches were to be expected. Hmm, for the third time after the SPV and E100.

Have a look at the poll at which people are going to make their next MS smartphone - Motorola have earnt their reputation off the back of one phone. HTC have earnt theirs off the back of three!

Guest dearsina

So let me get this straight:

First we got the smartphone with a 8+1 directional key, then we got the "improved" 4+1 directional key of the e200, and now this?

And first we had a perfectly functional SD card slot, the we got the "improved" SD card slot that turned itself off after 10 minutes and now a slot that not only isn't SD any more, but the obscure and limited mini SD, and to top it off, brilliantly placed under the battery, so if you want to upload a few songs via a USB2 card reader, guess what, you need to turn off your phone. Bravo Orange. Why their R&D development department haven't received the nobel price yet is beyond me.

sina

london

Guest morpheus2702
but how can htc make it any smarter? the os stuff is controlled by MS, HTC just make the hardware

How about a 3G smartphone then? One with a 262k colour sceen? MS don't control that aspect - I mean, Voq can get away with a keyboard, MS can amend screen resolutions so smartphone specs aren't that rigid?

Guest midnight

3G is still a tiny market in the UK as you well know, the timing it seems just isnt right for a 3G phone yet (Nokia are just about starting to get some out). 262k colour screens are coming, but to be honest they dont make a vast difference, and definitely dont make a phone smarter. Keyboard is a good idea, but lets face it, would you buy a Voq? I think HTC have done a great job with this phone, decent processor (no mhz figures, but its still gonna be fast), decent ram and tiny size, Sorry, but I like it.

Guest morpheus2702

Midnight, you are SO wrong about 3G. I picked up the latest What Mobile (or similar) yesterday and the buzz was ALL 3G. 3 have actually got a decent handset in their new one from LG... Vodafone is about to launch Live 3G... the Sony Ericsson Z1010 is just around the corner. The momentum is building.

3G is a tiny market at the moment, but surely one that would grow targetting the smartphone user? It seems a naturally partnership to me - speed to deliver data and the facilities to use that speed.

Guest dearsina

3G is in many ways like digital TV, it's quite small right now, but it will get big and more importantly, it will replace the current systems in place.

sina

london

ps. my next phone will be a 3G, I have serious reservations about the new spv (read my previous post).

Guest zeta101

we cant moan about HTC's use of mini SD since its going to be a common thing in other phones soon to come...placing it under the battery isnt a problem since mp3s/videos and other large files can be sent over the usb cradle connection (is it usb1 or 2? dont know).

My only personal gripe with this phone is that it doesnt have a megapixel camera (but im sure a lot of people, like business people, who this phone is aimed for, wont mind that much)...otherwise though it looks great as midnight said just, making it smaller IMO was the next logical step in the spv range.

Guest zeta101

if we want 3G MS smartphones, i think it would be up to MS to do a lot of the implementation in a new OS version, so we have to wait for MS to do something about it

Guest morpheus2702

Did they have to come up with a new version of Symbian for the Motorola A920 and A925?

I thought 3G was much more to do with physical hardware, rather than software?

Guest midnight

its actually a bit of both, cos its not gprs anymore, so some of the os has to be changed slightly, but as far as i'm aware, windows mobile2003 already is compatible. Orange are the only carrier in the UK that sell MS Smartphones, currently Orange dont do 3G, Orange are doing 3G trials, but until O or any of the other big carriers start doing 3G aswell I dont see the point. The MS Smartphone market is tiny, restricting it to 3G cuts it down even more. Its a simple numbers game.

Guest pierre

Flat / normal TV screen is a good example for a comparison of what will certainly happen with 3G / GSM in a near future. Means GSM will still remain available long after 3G will become popular.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.