If you can't beat 'em..........

Guest midnight

Guest midnight

Normally, there would be no way you'd see Nokia news here, but with this i'll make an exception...

Seems Nokia see Microsoft as a bigger threat than we first thought, they appear to copying off Microsoft in a big way with their (and get this).... Series 60 'Second Edition'

Nokia's Symbian OS powered smartphone platform gains new and powerful features, including support for increased resolution and simultaneous CDMA/WCDMA capabilities.

Nokia today introduced two new Feature Packs for the Series 60 Platform that will provide future smartphones with improved features and functionality for operators, enterprises and consumers in all major markets. The feature set of Series will include multiradio support with GSM/GPRS/EDGE, WCDMA and CDMA, phone displays with higher resolutions and enhanced enterprise support, in addition to the exhaustive number of other features. 

According to Nokia, Series 60 Second Edition, as the base platform is to be called, is the first smart phone platform that will include both CDMA configurations as well as dual-mode WCDMA-GSM. Dual-mode WCDMA-GSM will offer full support for operators' 3G services and will be required for some time before the transition from circuit switched networks to packet switched networks has been completed. 

Series 60 SE sets a new benchmark for smartphone category platforms by offering high display resolutions by 208 x 208, 240 x 320 QVGA and as far up as 352 x 416 in both portrait and landscape orientations. The UI framework will include support for Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), similar in many ways to Macromedia's Flash format, that will enable third party developers to design layout-aware applications that can intuitively adjust to the different resolutions. 

Enterprise support has also been improved, with IMAP-IDLE support for push e-mail, improved data synchronization and corporate intranet browsing enabled by HTML and javascript support. Secure corporate connectivity will be enabled via IPSec and VPN. Other features to be present include full OMA Digital Rights Management 1.0 capabilities, support for the MMS 1.2 standard and improved 3D graphics capabilities for both Symbian OS and Java based applications.

Source: Infosyncworld

So let me see....

- Name change to Second Edition....Check

- New High Resolution Modes....Check

- Square Screen Support....Check

- Screen Orientation....Check

(oh and i wouldnt count out a little Nokia symbol next to the Options softkey)

Imatation is the highest form of flattery?

Or just plain old copying?

I'll let you decide :D

Guest zeta101

nice to know nokia see MS as a true threat, it means we will have some proper competition from nokia and so MS wont get complacent...the one thing I would hate to see is for MS to start to totally dominate the smartphone arena

Guest midnight

zeta101, i'd love to see them dominate, it'll take years to do, but imagine the technology that will come out as nokia and ms fight it out to get their best os's to market, competition is good and healthy :D

Guest zeta101

thats what im saying, competition is a wonderful thing, but if MS started to dominate then they can start to care less about producing better and better products...id prefer to have nokia around (and others) for a long time to keep MS on thier toes making sure they push the limits in order to try and earn more customers.

Guest midnight

my point was, MS smartphones are tiny at the moment, Nokia are dominating, if MS go for it in a big way they canbe proper competition for Nokia, currently they just arent, at all, in the slightest. For MS to dominate they have to come up with something amazingly spectacular, and that is a good thing.

Guest lutzh

...by taking some dollars of the hughe money mountain ms is sitting on, putting some more wlan functionallity into mobile phones and building the needed wlan infrastructure out there in the countries microsoft will:

- roll over nokia;

- replace the need of carriers (at least in higher populated areas) by voip services;

- starting their own access business for broadband.

that sounds like the future. but possible, and even more it makes sense at the end of the day.

cheers, lutz

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Moving swiftly on... ;p

I doubt we'll see wifi for a while yet in (any) smartphone, i feel the carriers are still too paranoid about losing money to VoIP and the like. Notice how no smartphones (not pda-esque devices) have wifi support...

Guest chocobogo

Multifaceted"%20target="_blank">http://press.nokia.com/PR/200406/948876_5....%5bb" target="_blank">Multifaceted Nokia 6260 smartphone gives new angle to mobility

June 14, 2004

Camera and video recorder, web browser, email and VPN in a flexible fold design

Helsinki, Finland: At the annual Nokia Connection conference, held simultaneously in Singapore and Helsinki, Nokia today introduced a smart phone with a twist. and a fold. The Nokia 6260 smartphone offers mobile professionals the latest mobile technology features and applications, including push to talk, email, document and presentation viewer, Bluetooth connectivity and a VGA camera, in an innovative fold design. The tri-band Nokia 6260 smartphone is based on the Series 60 Platform and Symbian OS. It is expected to start shipping in Europe, Africa, Asia Pacific and Americas in third quarter, 2004. The estimated, unsubsidized sales price of the Nokia 6260 is expected to begin at €400.

"The advanced features and high performance design of the Nokia 6260 smartphone gives business people a distinct advantage," explained Kai Öistämö, Senior Vice President, Mobile Phones at Nokia. "The Nokia 6260 smartphone offers business users 'efficiency-on-the-go'.  With its presentation and document viewer, push to talk functionality, still and video camera, and data synchronization, you can keep in touch with the office and the family while on the move. Additionally, the Nokia 6260 also features a mobile VPN client, enabling business users to access their compatible corporate email and network."

The Nokia 6260 smartphone is flexible in function and in design. Open it to talk, fold it with the display facing out to browse the web or access applications, twist the display to activate the camera, or close it flat to slip into your briefcase.  As a work companion, the Nokia 6260 boosts efficiency by enabling people to initiate a quick discussion with colleagues and even groups, at the touch of a single button using push to talk.* The presence-enhanced contacts service also alerts personal and professional contacts on your availability, potentially saving time for both parties. Email is at hand, and the presentation and document viewer allows users to view compatible attachments directly on their phone. Additionally, data synchronization enables local or remote updates of calendar, contacts and to-do lists.

In browse mode, mobile XHTML and HTML browsers provide access to mobile Internet pages, while enabling quick access to the menu, applications, and phone functions. The Nokia 6260 features swappable multimedia memory cards on which email attachments, images, video clips and texts can be saved.

The Nokia 6260 smartphone also acts as the backdrop for the Nokia Wireless Keyboard, which was introduced today.  Using Bluetooth technology, the wireless keyboard makes personal organization and data entry quick and convenient. Like the Nokia 6260 smartphone, the Nokia Wireless Keyboard features a folding design for quick use and storage.

Guest midnight

errr, whats that all about? i was making a point that nokia are copying off MS, so its relevant. I think most of us here still dont want nokia phones, and i doubt we'll ever support nokia in the forums here :D

Btw, that 6260 looks horrible, its very big for a clamshell, and a joystick on the clamshell lid? thats gotta be a nightmare to use.

Guest midnight

neither are Series 60 Second Edition though are they? theyve only jsut announced SE, so i doubt theres any devices yet

the post was pointing out that Nokia are copying off Microsoft with SE, i havent (nor will i) mention any specific devices or anything like that

Guest morpheus2702

Come on Midnight, you have to give them at least 7 days until the 7610i and 6630i are announced... :wink:

But then again, this from Infosyncworld:

The prototype provided by Nokia did not offer typical Series 60 performance as it ran an as-of-yet unfinished version of the Series 60 platform

So maybe SE?

Guest Y-Wing
NOKIA HAS HIGH HOPES FOR SERIES 60 SOFTWARE 

Date 16/06/2004 

Information Source Wireless Europe 

News Reports reveal that Nokia's latest edition of its Series 60 software platform for smartphones will enable greater customisation and service differentiation for mobile operators.

Speaking during the Nokia Connections event in Helsinki this week, Pertti Korhonen, CTO said Series 60 Second Edition is to also provide multiradio support, including wireless LANs.

Korhonen said the software will allow operators to create their own menus, user interfaces and services, as well as operator-specific applications.

Series 60 software works with the Symbian operating system that Korhonen said would continue to be maintained as an open industry platform.

Expect to see an 'Orange look and feel' homescreen soon on a Nokia near you! They have recogised that they need to improve their relationship with the big network operators.

Guest Dazism

HAH, don't forget that other manufacturers, bigger ones than Motorola and HTC, prefer Symbian. And to be honest, Symbian is much quicker and less power hungry than Windows.

While 200mhz cpu and 3 day battery life might be great news for a Windows user, for a Symbian user they're laughable.

I'd take a P900 or 6260 over any Windows Mobile powered device that is out now or coming soon...

Guest Pondrew

Yes, and we pity you. :-)

Seriously though, are you claiming the typical battery life of the P900 is much better then 3days? Cos I've heard otherwise. Don't know a thing bout the Nokia so can't comment on that but the new Smartphones are going to sh*t all over the SE P900. As they should given they're newer designs.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Brody

Isn't Moto the 2nd biggest manufacturer in the World behind Nokia, and lets be honest, Nokia own Symbian so they're hardly going to use anything else!

Guest midnight

Dazism, if you wish to hark on about Nokia's and take no interest whatsoever about MS Mobile devices, please do that on Nokia forums.

and the p900 is clocked at 156mhz by the way

Guest chucky.egg

This is going kinda OT, but...

Seriously though, are you claiming the typical battery life of the P900 is much better then 3days? Cos I've heard otherwise.  
No. The best I've had is under 3.5 days on one full charge, with fairly low use (emails, few calls, dozen or so SMS per day). I dont know anyone that's had better (only know a few P900 owners though)

the new Smartphones are going to sh*t all over the SE P900. As they should given they're newer designs.

Now they've *finally* ( :D ) got Bluetooth and cameras built-in MS Smartphones are comparable to Symbian Series 60, but I wouldn't compare one to a UIQ phone because they're not touch-screen and they lack some of the fucntions (but have others instead)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.