Worm in Symbian Smartphones

Guest Jakob

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Saw that on thereg earlier. Now where are the claims that Symbian is massively insecure? Oh hang on, its the users fault if they get infected?

Obviously this is nothing to do with the fact that Symbian happen to have the market share in smartphones.

Guest Jakob

Didnt say that they were insecure, just think its interesting that Kaspersky Labs manages to write something that spreads by itself on phones. I havent seen it before.

jakob

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Sorry, i was trying to (bitterly) twist it round to relate to the Windows being insecure arguement, excuse my sarcasm :D

Guest lohit

I guess this is more to do with the bluetooth stack implementation rather than the operating systems. Some of the applications like bluesnarfing, bluejacking have already taken advantage of the flaws with the implementation of bluetooth stack.

Guest chucky.egg

It'd be interesting to see how it "installs" itself

Like MS Smartphone, you normally have to choose to open a file, and with most apps you have to choose where to install it to, what language you want etc. I'm sure it's all automate-able, but I wonder how?

Not much detail in that article

[edit]

Just found this:

Preliminary analysis of the malicious code shows that that Cabir is transmitted as an SIS file (a Symbian distribution file), but the file is disguised as Caribe Security Manager utility, part of the telephone security software. If the infected file is launched, the telephone screen will display the inscription "Caribe". The worm penetrates the system and will then be activated each time the phone is started. Cabir scans for all accessible phones using Bluetooth technology, and sends a copy of itself to the first one found. 

Analysis of the worm's code has not so far detected any malicious payload. 

The worm is coded to run under Symbian OS, used in many Nokia telephones. However, it is possible that Cabir will function on handsets produced by other manufacturers. 

http://www.kaspersky.com/news?id=149499226

Which is not quite the same thing as it infecting other automatically. You have to choose to accept the file by Bluetooth, then open it, then confirm you want to install it...

I'm sure viruses will come in time, but this seems like a bit of an idiots "virus" ("when it asks to delete all files should I press YES?").

[/edit]

Guest chucky.egg

You should be able to just un-install it, maybe with a bit of faffing, but I don't see why it would even need a Hard Reset

It's not *really* a virus, it just says "Caribe" to you... dont ask me why!

• 8 months later...
Guest liakyh
Look Here at CNET

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well well. i got it yesterday within an hour of turning on bluetooth to send my friend something. looks like they predicted wrongly eh? anyway it could've been a version of it. i remembered the 'cabi' in the file name.

Edited by liakyh