Scones, is it skons or scoans?!

Guest mike-oh

Guest mike-oh

This is a massive raging debate between myself, from Leeds, and my mates from Rotherham. Just how do you pronounce scones and which is the posh way of saying it.

I say "skons" which i think is the unposh way of saying it. They say scoans, which i think is the posh way of saying it, but they reckon skons is the posh version!

Opinions please, and perhaps tell me where your from.

We've already done a quick poll tonight by ringing random phone numbers from various regions. Our respective regions said the same as us. Mind you we had to pretend the person on the phone was live on the local radio station before we got an answer :D :D

Guest Disco Stu

Get a grip, mate.

I'm from York, which is pretty posh, and we say skons.

Fact : there is no posh in Rotherham (have you been there ? or Doncaster, which is worse) They are probably students from Surrey or somewhere...

Your poll doesn't work also.

The options don't include , Correct pronunciation whether HM The Queen likes it or not.

:wink: :D

Guest mcwarre

Just to confuse the issue, the old seat of kings in Scotland, Scone, is pronounced skoon.

Stu,

You would say skon as you're a bleeding northerner (I have a flat in York before you start :wink:). The correct pronounciation is..... either!

Same as gras or grarse (which nicely contains arse!)

Guest goinnuts

being a salford lad (edge of manc), it sounds it mixture liam gallager but through the nose more. skon. (only if i type half an o).

Guest chucky.egg

God save our gracious scoans,

Long live our noble scoans,

God save the scoans!

Send scoansvictorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to scoan over us;

God save the scoans!

Guest Palindrome

As someone born and bred in Bristol I can say that the local language is as split in it's interpretation as this thread, but I'm pretty confident that the only correct pronouciation of Scones is as in 'sch' of school. Why is it correct? Well, let's face it, it's mine. Hey, that's English! It's flexible enough to have an startling number of definitions for the same thing. But let's not forget that the meaning is the most important thing in any language.

As for Bath, it's Bath. You'd have to come from deep Wiltshire to say Barth (though in retrospect, Bristolians call Bristol Bristowe, so I may be linguistally biased).

Guest scone-master

ok mike you big lemon, results are not conclusive with 21 votes, show me again with 20000 votes :twisted:

oh and down in south yorkshire, where i am from and grew up in, it is scone, not scon. anybody that doubts that south yorkshire is a s*** heap needs to visit the wonders of rotherham, barnsley, doncaster etc etc...

Guest mike-oh
ok mike you big lemon, results are not conclusive with 21 votes, show me again with 20000 votes  :twisted:  

oh and down in south yorkshire, where i am from and grew up in, it is scone, not scon. anybody that doubts that south yorkshire is a s*** heap needs to visit the wonders of rotherham, barnsley, doncaster etc etc...

So why do you speak posh then? :D