SD WiFi

Guest th3_glove20

Guest th3_glove20

ello...guys i wonder is there any driver for SD WiFi :?: :?: I'm still waiting for the driver to release, but it doesn't seems to be releasing... :D :cry:

pls help me...

cheerZz

Guest squall

seems motorola will release one for the mpx220. when they do theres no guarantee the drivers will work with mpx200 or any of the spv range

Guest McHale

Motorola isn't releasing any WiFi drivers ever (unless of course they make a WiFi card of their own). Motorola will be making their future phones SDIO NOW! compatible.

The manufacturers of the WiFi cards need to release the drivers for their cards and they say they are on the way (for those phones that AREN'T SDIO NOW! compatible).

If your phone is SDIO NOW! compatible, you don't NEED drivers.

-Mc

Guest th3_glove20

buddy im using O2 xphone...do u think is compatible for me to use it...??? Is there any driver compatible for my spv..??

Guest McHale

the e200 supports SDIO but it requires drivers. So the manufacturer of the SD WIFI card will need to make smartphone SD drivers. From what I understand, they are all working on it. No idea why it's taking so long, they told us a LONG time ago they were working on it.

I think the Samsung i600 is SDIO Now and the latest pocket pc phone's are SDIO now though...

-Mc

Guest squall

mchale welcome back.word is moto are releasing there own wifi card. cant look for link atm in hotel on xda2. must go buy wifi and use btopenwold:)

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest McHale
word is moto are releasing there own wifi card.

I had heard that to but what I was told was that it was going to be a mini-SD WIFI card to sell as the "available option" for the MPx100 and MPx220.

If you recall in the very early MPx100 and MPx220 literature, it listed all the junk and somewhere in it it listed WiFi as an available option. This is it.

But this doesn't mean there will actually be smartphone drivers for it.

There have been SD wifi cards for a while now (all are Prism). They will work in any device that supports SDIO NOW!. There's no reason to believe that the mini-SD cards will have smartphone drivers until there are drivers for the current SD cards.

If the makers of our beloved smartphones would incorporate SDIO NOW! into their OS, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :D

If you can find the link for the Motorola card, I'd be very interested in seeing it. I had heard it from a buddy who works for Motorola but hadn't seen anything official on it.

-Mc

Guest th3_glove20

damn...which means we have to wait till they release the driver...Wow that may take ages...Can we do anything to inform them that we need the driver for our phone...??

• 1 month later...
Guest McHale

in case anyone cares, I have confirmed with Motorola that there will be NO WiFi for the MPx220. Now of course, if a 3rd party developed a mini-SD WI-FI card and drivers, it would work.

But Motorola was offering a WiFi add-on for the MPx100 (according to their press release) but this is NOT the case with the MPx220.

"The MPx220 will not offer a WiFi add-on.

Thanks, Monica" (as in Monica Rohleder - the same Monica from the press release).

This was after a long "whose on first" question/answer scenario where she explained that the MPx has it built in. -sigh-

-Mc

Guest Maverick

This SD WiFi thing has been going on for ages !! Ever since I bought the "Original" SPV a long long time ago, Sandisk have been saying they will come out with the drivers. Never mind that there have been 3 releases of the underlying Operating System ( Wm2k2, Wm2k3, Wm2k3 SE) between then and now !! Gives me the impression that its far easier to build an OS and send a man to Mars than to build a driver. So by the time, they DO release the drivers, it will probably be out dated anyway !!