My-S7, MPx, MPx220 and C500 @ TechEd: Question time!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Indeed I am, apologies for any confusion. The replies appear...

...like this.

Saves cluttering up the thread :D

P

Guest Gorskar

I would Love the MPX - its small enough to abandon the smartphone platform and run proper PPC apps.

However its going to be expensive - Almost certainly too expensive for me.

Guest siu99spj

Well, I'm just gonna stay waiting for the MPx220. From what I've seen and heard it should be perfect for me, so long as it doesn't come out at some of the price esitimates which have been floating around.

I very much doubt Orange will treat me to a discount even if I have been waiting as long as I have (Since BEFORE Xmas!).

Guest egghead101

Hi Paul,

Can you tell me what phone has the bext battery life, Multiple Email Checking and Bluetooth capability in your opinoin?

thanks

It's hard to say, as I haven't extensively used all the phones, and the software builds are not finalised. E-Mail Checking is likely to be the same on all, as they are all Second Edition, and I know that Orange have been doing work with HTC on vastly improved BT support in the C500, but other than that, it's too early to say... ditto for battery life.

Dear Paul,

Did you get any change to ask about the MPX100?

Regards,

Aux

Yes, 'no announcements to make about devices that are not on this stand'.

Guest Pagemakers

The MPX100 (my favorite) appears to have died a silent death of late. Paul can you not even tweak a little bit of info out of them?

Guest Pigo

I think the MPX is pretty big... but the 220 is bigger than 200, so I'm a bit indecisive at the moment!

200 = out-dated

220 = to big

MPx = expensive (hope not, but afraid it is)

C500 = sounds good but it's not clamshell

haven't gotten around to checking out the Sagem... gonna go see now actually.

keep on getting the information out. helps me decide what my new phone should be.

thanks a lot guys

Pigo

Guest Pigo

OK I've decided ONE thing. it HAS TO BE flatter than my MPx200 and not a lot bigger either. don't care about weight or width of the phone. just not too long and not to thick!!!

I hate the bulge in my pants when I've got it in my pocket (no not that bulge you pervert!!!!).

Sagem's not bad by the way. just can't seem to find measurements of it anywhere.

Pigo

Guest zeta101

hmm, the resolution HAS to be the same, its a requirement of the OS, so this must mean the pixels on the 220 must be smaller (but there is still the same number of them?). Wouldnt this make things on the screen look better (cos of the smaller pixels?) ofcourse it depends on how much smaller the screen is, and it cant be too much im guessing. Anyway strange, i always though screen size as well as res were fixed by MS rule.

Can you give a rouch estimate of how smaller the screen is paul? a few mm or what?

Guest midnight

Microsoft announced recently that they have allowed manufacturers more scope on the screen sizes to drive down the size of the devices. There are several options (I did have a list of sizes somewhere, seem to have lost it though), but the resolution will remain 176x 220 or 240 x 320 (there is no landscape mode for MS Smartphone, only PocketPC).

So, seems strange that Moto should use a smaller display, yet, create a bigger device, no doubt this will make the device 'appear' even bigger. yet HTC are still using the same size screen as the E200 and come up with a tiny device. And from what i hear, the C500 display is vastly superior to the MPx220 display, but of course that may change for the final release version.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
But there is nothing to dictate the actual size of the pixels, is there?

As far as i understand it, in theory there is. All Smartphone's should have the same dpi regardless. It's about 96dpi if i remember correctly.

Brody: they told us about this at the msdn event a few weeks back.

Guest Brody

I hold my hands up on that one, good point. They also told us of the DPI on the new screen res so what I don't understand is how the MPx220's screen is physically smaller than that of all other Smartphones?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.