My-S7, MPx, MPx220 and C500 @ TechEd: Question time!

Guest PaulOBrien

i dont think it is that difficult to understand a difference in screen sizes.

for example look at the moto MPX vs an ipaq both of them have a resolution of 320x240 but the screen of the MPX is about half the size.

same with the new vs older ipaqs, the newer ones have the same screen resolution but at a phisically smaller size.

Guest midnight

Its not the screen size that i find confusing (as i said, on one of the webcasts they did state that there are new screen sizes (not no. of pixels but actual physical sizes, i did have a list of all the sizes, Smatrphone and PPC), but what i do find confusing is that Moto have shrunk the screen but enlarged the device (i do know quad band makes a slight difference, as does the camera, but ive seen much smaller quad band camera phones) :D

Guest kyrkesmith

The thing is, someone somewhere must be wrong.

Paul's said that the screen is physically smaller. This obviously means either fewer pixels, or smaller pixels. The former is ruled out, afaik, since there are only two allowed resolutions?

However, now Mono and Brody have said that MS said that the dpi was fixed, i.e. the pixel size.

It is not possible for all three of those to be true.

Hmm...

Guest Paul [MVP]

I held the E200 next to the MPx220, and the screen of the MPx220 really did look smaller.

It could have been an optical illusion I guess, but I don't think so...

P

Guest markdotpeters5

I'd just like to see a sample of the captured pics / videos

I'm sure the pics will be good, but i'm really hoping the video will be better than the choppy e200...

fingers crossed!

Guest Pondrew

@siksik6: oh, it'll be better then the E200, but will that's not it's competition. I was delighted to read in a review of the C500 that the pics and videos are greatly improved over the E200 so maybe Motorola WON'T have it all their own way!

Guest Jakob
Hehe, will get my Sagem S7 next week :D

A pre-launch phone or the final production model??

If it is a pre-launch then take care not to use the E200 charger!!! . . .

The plug is the same, but it will fry your PCB..

This is changed in the production version..

/Jakob

Guest jmrecanize

Does the MPx220 have a separate loudspeaker instead of using the earpiece to play ringtones? If not will the volume be increased? The SPV originals ringtone volume was quite disappointing in most cases.

Guest Exodia
"]I was alarmed to see the MPx220 screen is physically smaller than that of the E200...

P

I knew it i knew it! My eyes werent playing tricks on me! :D

Theyve obviously kept the resolution, but have just used a smaller pixel size. Now why on earth would they do that!?! Reducing pixel size will improve a font/image, but only if resolution is increased. The resolution hasnt been increase but pixel size has been shrunk. This will only make the font/images on the screen smaller. IMHO, the font/images on the mpx200/e200 screens are small enough now, any smaller and they will stress the eyes. :shock:

The mpx220 has just been removed from my list of 'next smartphone to buy', too many ugly things about it. :roll:

i'll confirm that for you, confirm it DOESNT have an FM radio :D

to bad. wouldn't mind having a FM radio. usefull when your bored out of your mind!

is there any onther smartphone that has/will have a FM radio built in?

Guest VapoTrini

Hello Paul, can you please tell me if the MPX220 can use MP3's as ringtones??? I can't seem to find any information on this anywhere on the web.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Pondrew

Hmmm, don't like it being smaller but I suppose it could be a worse quality screen.

What I don't understand is how they managed to have a small screen yet the package as a whole turns out to be a (VERY) large phone (compared to their last - the mpx200).

Guest refnulf

I don't understand why they couldn't fit in a bigger screen. The phone is huge. Any chance that they could still fit in a different screen (bigger screen) by production time? Or is this the screen they're going to use in the production version?

Guest zeta101

looking at the comparison, it doesnt look that bad the screen being smaller, the resolution is still the same obviously, and text doesnt look unreadable. The only annpying thing is that the phone is still big, if they had made the phone smaller alone with the screen size then it would be more in competition with the c500.

I wonder what the quality/brightness of the c500 screen is?

Infact after having a look at the comparison again, the smaller one looks nicer...imagine a c500 with that size screen and the rest of the phone being scaled down to match too, that would be brilliant, maybe htc will do this in future smartphones?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.