Orange Press Release: 3G Information

Guest James

Guest James

ORANGE LAUNCHES UK’s LARGEST INTEGRATED HIGH-SPEED 3G NETWORK

London. 1 July 2004. Orange, the mobile arm of the France Telecom Group, today announced the launch of its first next generation high-speed network, products and tariffs, designed to take its UK customers toward a “mobile broadband” experience across the largest integrated network in the country.

At launch on 19 July, Orange will have the most extensive integrated 2.5/3G network in the UK, with 66% of the population covered by its high-speed network, ensuring that even if customers move out of 3G coverage, they will not lose their connection to the network. Orange has 3G coverage in major cities including London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol, Belfast, Glasgow, Sheffield, Birmingham, Liverpool, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Leeds. Orange will also be taking advantage of its position within the FreeMove alliance, giving UK business customers the ability to access 3G services in Spain, Italy and Germany at launch, as well as the 3G network of Orange in France. Orange and its FreeMove partners have licences in 14 markets across Europe.

READ MORE HERE! including Orange UK Tariffs

Guest James

wonder if it is ever going to be cheap enough for the average poor person to afford large amounts of data :D

here is hoping to the price drop of GPRS! :D

Guest AndyMac

Aaaah... so thats why they are doing the Sony Ericsson Z1010 & the 7610 (both still scheduled for release end of this month... subject to change of course *cough cough*)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

If i travelled more (or were still stuck at uni with my pay per min dialup internet access) that would be very tempting. I wonder how strick they will be over the all you can eat cap.

Guest xanadu
What data rate do you get ?  

Data rate is currently 384Kb/s

I have a Nokia 6650 on Orange 3G.

I don't think handsets will be available for sale to the public until September.

At the moment Orange 3G launch is for the PCMCIA Datacard only.

Guest xanadu
It would be nice to think that someone will be producing a 3G SD card.....

That's not going to happen for a long time.

The current 3G handsets are the size of bricks, so expect an SD version in about 10 years from now at the earliest :shock:

I wouldn't buy a 3G handset until the size is reduced to something sensible. The Nokia 6650 I have is too big, but the 7600 looks a bit more sensible.

I have used my 6650 on Orange 3G WAP for data so far, which is a lot faster than 2G WAP via GPRS. Also I have linked it to my Pocket PC for Internet browsing via Bluetooth, but the speed is limited by the Bluetooth connection. I really need a data cable to try out the 384KB/s

Guest Dr Who

On the 3G front the Nokia 6630 looks like it could be the dogs danglies though. Be interested to see what it's battery life is like when it is released.

Guest Pagemakers

The current 3G handsets are the size of bricks, so expect an SD version in about 10 years from now at the earliest :shock:

But an SD card is not "that" much smaller than a PMCIA card. I'd like to think this time next year.........

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.